GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Two Defective Asantis And My Stock Wheels Are Back On

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 10:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Two Defective Asantis And My Stock Wheels Are Back On

I ordered a set of asanti 128 wheels and ever since they went on my car I had this striong vibration (not balancing). The tire guys rebalance the car 4 times with the hunter road force machinr, rotated both rear wheels 180 deg on the rim, and ordered 2 new rear tire with no luck. Finally after I freakn blew the hell up at the manager, they said they would check the wheels for defects. They found that both of the rear wheels were out of spec in terms of roundness(40 thousanths on one and 35 on the other). This apparently is to much so they called asanti and let them know the prob. Asanti's first response to the problem is well how do we know the owner didnt bend them ? That kind of pissed me and the mgr of the wheel place off. In the end the mgr explained what was wrong and asanti agreed to rectify the issue with the rear wheels. What pisses me off is of all of the cast wheels I have had not one of them ever had a single prob with them. Then I go with these high end forged custom 3 pc wheels and this is the crap that I get. I am irritated but I love the look and design of the wheels so much I will wait patiently, but my guard is up. Any freakn vibration and the wheels are going back. I have had lowered cars before and I know very well the difference between road vibration and wheel vibration. My vibration was so bad I would have to sloww down to under 65 to stop the vibration. I live in AZ and we have some of the smoothest freeways in the country. That usually means very little wheels vibration is drowned out by road vibration. It doesnt seem from other posts that this kind of issue is common with custom wheels, especially with wheels from a company as well known as asanti, but like I said I am hoping for the best.
Attached Thumbnails Two Defective Asantis And My Stock Wheels Are Back On-gs350-001.jpg  
Old 01-08-08, 10:52 PM
GiSmo350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it all works out for you. And I can vouch for the smooth freeways. LOL
Old 01-08-08, 10:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Doh. Hope it all works out. I hope you have all 4 stockies on.
Old 01-08-08, 11:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hop everything works out.

but just one note. forged wheels don't mean better quality. cast wheels don't mean sub-par. it's all about company, process, and quality control. the forged PROCESS (certain type) is better than cast, but that does not translate to forged wheels are all better than cast. that's never true.

just to state a fact

either way, hopefully the wheels come in 2 weeks sharp!
Old 01-08-08, 11:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am learning this now unfortuneately after spending 5k on rims and tires. I had a set of tsw wheels on my g35 and they were great. What bothered me about the cast wheels is how easily they dent. Most give me the impression that even though you can dent any wheel the forged are lighter and stronger. Plus I figured I want going to mod this car crazy like I did my G 35 sp I figured I would just get higher end wheels. I sometimes look at celebrity car magazines and you find they are all rolling asanti wheels. So I figured I was on the right path if the stars and ballers have a pref for this company I figured it was good stuff. If I have any prob in the future I will go with a set of work or volk wheels. I have to give crazy thanks and respect to discount tire. They are extemely proffesional, patient, thourough, and knowledgable. They have helped me and have remained calm even when I flip out
Old 01-09-08, 12:20 AM
UZS 337
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

but just one note. forged wheels don't mean better quality. cast wheels don't mean sub-par. it's all about company, process, and quality control. the forged PROCESS (certain type) is better than cast, but that does not translate to forged wheels are all better than cast. that's never true.

just to state a fact

I agree. There are a of companies out there who claim to have the best quality which the consumer is unware of with high prices which usually costs 100-300 or so per rim to manufacture overseas.

Hope everything goes well.

Last edited by UZS 337; 01-09-08 at 12:22 AM. Reason: poor grammar haha
Old 01-09-08, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am learning this now unfortuneately after spending 5k on rims and tires. I had a set of tsw wheels on my g35 and they were great. What bothered me about the cast wheels is how easily they dent. Most give me the impression that even though you can dent any wheel the forged are lighter and stronger. Plus I figured I want going to mod this car crazy like I did my G 35 sp I figured I would just get higher end wheels. I sometimes look at celebrity car magazines and you find they are all rolling asanti wheels. So I figured I was on the right path if the stars and ballers have a pref for this company I figured it was good stuff. If I have any prob in the future I will go with a set of work or volk wheels. I have to give crazy thanks and respect to discount tire. They are extemely proffesional, patient, thourough, and knowledgable. They have helped me and have remained calm even when I flip out
lol, believe me, i won't pay much attention to celebs and such, usually they don't know better. a while ago a lot of them rocked giovani, er....

anyway, you got it right that all wheels can bend if you hit it at the right angle and force. certain forged process are stronger but things still need to be done right to make the wheels stronger than forged.
Old 01-09-08, 11:54 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've never seen asanti's as a high quality wheel. i see them as poser wheels for everyone who wants that look and has the money. no offense to anyone who has them; there are just better made wheels available for the same or less money.
Old 01-09-08, 12:23 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. Good luck though!
Old 01-09-08, 03:24 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Henry said it best...you just never know. Especially now with so much competition out there. Seems every week another so-called high end wheel maker pops up....swearing they make the worlds best wheel using the finest aircraft aluminum.
I was getting vibration from my forged wheels until I has some aluminum hub rings made.
Everyone I know with high end wheels eventually has to have them rechromed or refurbished or repolished. They don't seem hold up well to the daily grind. In the old days I had 1 piece cast wheels that never had a problem and lasted years. It's just that look. Once you buy a set you are hooked on that look. We are sick puppies.
Old 01-09-08, 04:47 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 19psi
i've never seen asanti's as a high quality wheel. i see them as poser wheels for everyone who wants that look and has the money. no offense to anyone who has them; there are just better made wheels available for the same or less money.

I have to somewhat agree with this statement. Before I started reading this forum, I thought Asanti Wheels were some bootleg knockoff wheels, on par with MRR, Stern, Status, Ruf brands. I since learned they are custom forged, which was news to me. Either way, Im curious as to why you picked Asanti over other brands such as DPE, I-forged, Work, Rays, AME, SSR, etc.

Im sure these wheels were not cheap, but there may be more reputable brands for around $2500-$3000

Did they ever tell you what was the defect on the wheel? (out of round, unbalanced weight, etc?)
Old 01-09-08, 04:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
I have to somewhat agree with this statement. Before I started reading this forum, I thought Asanti Wheels were some bootleg knockoff wheels, on par with MRR, Stern, Status, Ruf brands. I since learned they are custom forged, which was news to me. Either way, Im curious as to why you picked Asanti over other brands such as DPE, I-forged, Work, Rays, AME, SSR, etc.

Im sure these wheels were not cheap, but there may be more reputable brands for around $2500-$3000

Did they ever tell you what was the defect on the wheel? (out of round, unbalanced weight, etc?)
i think he said the shop checked and said wheels are out of round

yes, in general, for 2500 to 3000 (or 3500 at most imho), you should be able to get a set of high quality name brand jdm or usdm wheels. some brands like hre are more expensive, you pay more for the brand name imho
Old 01-09-08, 06:46 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

yes...most of these 3 peice wheels all use generic barrels and lips made by companies like american racing.

The only difference is the face and design of the wheel. The quality also depends on the person assembling the wheels too.
Old 01-09-08, 06:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl

just to state a fact

I agree, every company today throws out "forged wheels" like some a 99 cents jr whopper. There still are huge differences in forged quality. The pressure might be some guy pushing the hot metal into the wheel or it can be a huge 500 ton press putting every piece of metal that will fit into the mold.

Old 01-09-08, 06:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Asanti is absolutely well known for the quality and especially for their custom finishes. I think a guy at the plant just ahd a bad day or something. Dont really care as long as the prob is fixed. When I said that you see the wheels all the time in all of the celebrity car mags it absolutelty true. What made me feel that they of the highest quality is that the wheels are always seen on exotics and really high end cars (lamborghini, ferrari, benz, bentley) I assumed they have to be very well made wheels. You guys are right though , I doubt many celebrities know squat about cars or even their own cars generally, but if they are paying people to tune the car for them (like they all do) the rep of these high end shops depends soley on the quality of the work and the end result in terms of apperrance and ride quality. So I still think it is safe to assume that Asanti is BIG TIME. Bottom line is you ususally get what you pay for, and I wanted nothing but the best for this car, so I did what the ballers do and went with Asanti. I thought about the work vs-xx or the other mesh design wheels from work wheels, but decided thatthe mesh design (even though classic) is played the hell out in my opinion. So I looked for something different.

Quick Reply: Two Defective Asantis And My Stock Wheels Are Back On