GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What is wrong with 3GS flimsy bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 06:26 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long story, but like I said - we are not going through insurance but rather its being fixed outside while the guy who tapped me paying for it. Since they guarantee the work and considering I will take it to my dealership for inspection afterwards, I'm not going to be a d*ck about it and demand new plastic bumper cover out of principal to screw the other guy up for another $1k. I believe in karma

Everything should be done in a day from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. And if the job is not done correctly, they will hear from me.
Old 01-17-08, 10:13 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I guess we disagree, you're not being a ****, he hit your car from behind, no matter what he is at fault and 100% responsible for your damages. If it's his choice to not go thru insurance, so be it, but why should you compromise your quality or standards just to accomodate him ? If it costs 1k to fix it properly and to your satisfaction, so be it, there's really nothing for you to feel sheepish about. . .
Old 01-17-08, 11:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ I guess we disagree, you're not being a ****, he hit your car from behind, no matter what he is at fault and 100% responsible for your damages. If it's his choice to not go thru insurance, so be it, but why should you compromise your quality or standards just to accomodate him ? If it costs 1k to fix it properly and to your satisfaction, so be it, there's really nothing for you to feel sheepish about. . .
yes, i agree. it's the other party's problem, i can care less what he thinks. you are just doing the right thing. cutting corners and going the easy way, you are the one who suffers
Old 01-17-08, 07:42 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
Long story, but like I said - we are not going through insurance but rather its being fixed outside while the guy who tapped me paying for it. Since they guarantee the work and considering I will take it to my dealership for inspection afterwards, I'm not going to be a d*ck about it and demand new plastic bumper cover out of principal to screw the other guy up for another $1k. I believe in karma

Everything should be done in a day from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. And if the job is not done correctly, they will hear from me.

Since your bumper cover is cracked, I would insist on a new bumper cover. It's not that expensive for the part and will save on labor cost to "recondition" your cracked bumper. Especially with your time-line, there is no way they can properly recondition your cracked bumper and complete all the paint work in 1 day.

Even if you have a new bumper cover, something sounds wrong about only taking 1 day to complete the whole job. It should take at least 2 days to correctly apply the primer, the paint, the clear coat, and to polish the final finish.
Old 01-17-08, 09:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Yeah agreed. 2 days max. One day...I can see that as a rush job. But it is doable if they bake the paint longer than normal.
Old 01-18-08, 06:34 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister

I would insist on a new cover if it is less overall hassle to you and the party that hit you. What you are trying to do on the face of it seems admirable, but what if the guy who did this to you has a habit of this running into people, and avoids having to really deal with his otherwise higher insurance premium driving habits because numerous people, like you, have cut him a break?

Would you be less aggravated or more, if the bumper damage was also due to those chipmunks or whatever rodent were nesting?
Old 01-25-08, 04:26 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

How did this turn out?
Old 01-25-08, 05:00 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

580 for replacement bumper is not a bad price.

i thought it would cost more.

bumpers are meant to be bumped.
if it were me, I'd be glad my sheet metal isn't warped.
Old 01-26-08, 06:12 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2007es350
How did this turn out?
We may have to wait a while longer for the final outcome.

I think right now alex is focusing on another kind of bumper, baby buggy bumper, some assembly required

Congrats Alex!!!! if it has already happened by the time you surface for air on here.
Old 01-26-08, 10:14 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Our second baby is still “cooking”, one more month left to go I was just too busy with work. As I mentioned before, the replacement didn't include the actual plastic part of the bumper, just fixing it. The plastic crack turned out to be so minor - if this would have been my wife or my daughter who did this to my car, I wouldn't even bother to fix it. But since the other guy picked up the bill, its no brainer. They took the plastic cover off, did some high temperature fusing or whatever, painted the area to blend it in with the rest of the plastic part, and that's all. It looks like original factory now, and I can't see or feel where the crack was. Very professional work. It took them the whole day to finish it, but it was done 100% with a full guarantee.

The "after" pictures will not tell you anything because it looks like a factory bumper. The "before" pictures were taking with my cell phone camera and didn't turn out too good because I smeared snow and dirt so its hard to see anything.

Kind of makes you think if you spend $500-$600 for a clear bra, you can eventually pay that much to make your bumper look brand new