GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus of Bridgewater ... Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 04:26 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Unless it's a safety or emission related item, most manufacturers would rather just deal with the warranty work then redesign something because in reality, most people will not bother to bring a vehicle back for a creak or squeak.
I certainly would bring it back.
This is not a REDESIGN if it can be corrected at the dealership! - If Lexus decided not to fix this problem because of what you say, then the 15 years of the pursuit of perfection just went down the drain!

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT your statement here!
Old 01-22-08, 04:50 PM
TimC
Rookie

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Did he say that with a straight face??
I just got back with my repaired 08AWD and hope it works. The service mangers were quite aware of the problem and indicated that it affected the ES350 in some instances. I asked why it had not been worked out in the factory for 08 and their only reply was that it was just the model run. The fix is insulating the pins that mount the dash. The service order also indicated insulation of the dash, defroster A pillars. The cause-Upper and Lower windshield clip TSB
Old 01-22-08, 04:55 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
The master's class teaches them how to pretend not to hear rattles when you drive around with them to diagnose same. If you get one of those guys, beware...they can also look at you with a straight face and tell you that your Lexus is a sports car, and that all sports cars rattle. They pair this with the "duh" shrug to really drive the point home that everybody knows this.

I must of missed this class.

Originally Posted by TimC
BTY, He indicated that Lexus employees are forbidden to reads these messages boards.
Also, not true.

Lexus has acknowledged this and is doing what they can to resolve the issue. Please do not be afraid to take your vehicles to the dealers to have them fixed. You can request a tech that is fimilar with the repair, or even an ASE Master tech do the repair if you are concerned. I have done a few of them on GS300/350's, ES350's, Ls460s, ect and its really not as big of a job as it seems.

Also, inspect your interior before you leave the dealer. If you find something out of the ordinary or damaged, its best to resolve it right then and there. Most dealers are good about doing the job right, and if something breaks (these things happen) the dealer should replace it before you even know its an issue.

I just got back with my repaired 08AWD and hope it works. The service mangers were quite aware of the problem and indicated that it affected the ES350 in some instances. I asked why it had not been worked out in the factory for 08 and their only reply was that it was just the model run. The fix is insulating the pins that mount the dash. The service order also indicated insulation of the dash, defroster A pillars. The cause-Upper and Lower windshield clip TSB
There is quite a bit of things they have you insulate while the dashboard is removed. There are things you insulate that I dont even believe would be a problem, but it comes off to me that they want it fixed and to never be a problem again. The last thing they want is to have a reputation for rattles and squeaks

I just want to try to clear up some misconseptions. They are really trying, atleast from what I can see.

I remember in my past personal vehicles rattles and squeaks never bothered me. I would get customer cars in all the time with those types of concerns and would just be baffled that people would complain about these things. When I purchased my IS300 and spent some time, I noticed how quiet the interiors are and how you notice the smaller things. I have a rattle in my sunroof while going down the highway and it drives me INSANE. One of these days I will be pulling my headliner down and finding what is making the noise. Sometimes I wish it was still within warranty so I could bring it through my shop and unload it on one of the other diagnostic techs. Point of me telling you this: I understand how annoying it is, I do, but give Lexus the chance to fix it for you under warranty to try to resolve the issue.

Last edited by onepointon; 01-22-08 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 10:12 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi - onepointon - I am usually only on the ES350 or LS460 boards, but came to read this thread as you suggested. People are surprised that level of service can vary between dealerships? Perhaps they go in with the wrong tone of voice or attitude, and they get what they deserve. My personal experience has been that I would never fear to buy a Lexus, because the dealer I use would take care of me no matter what the issue. I drove an ES350 loaner with the trans flare issue. I upgraded from my '03 ES300 with only a very short test drive and the promise from my service advisor that the issue was fixed as of the build date of my new car (and he was correct). That yoyo from Florida on the ES board seems to be getting paid by Honda or something. He has altered the facts of my statements, changed facts and uses flawed logic to bash the Lexus brand. I will no longer even dignify his presence with a reply. The engine 'knock' or 'diesel sound' he is so fond of harping about seems like a non-issue to me. Unlike him, I can hear it in park, I think the engine compartment insulation on the '07 models amplifies the sound of the cold timing chain/piston slap/direct injection. I merely mentioned it to my service advisor (who is very knowledgeable), and he wants me to take a loaner overnight so he can drive the car stone cold and let me know what he thinks. See the difference? I AM NOT CONCERNED, AND LEXUS IS. What more could I want?
Old 01-24-08, 04:12 AM
TimC
Rookie

Default so far so good

So far so good with the rattle/windshield clip repair on my 08 AWD. I have been reading enough in the industry news about Lexus' "kid glove" customer service that I do believe the assurances of the the service managers at Wilkie Lexus that I will be satisfied with the repair.

I was just concerned with how drastic the procedure to remove a dash on a new car. But Cory of the dealership advised me that he had only one technician work on the cars who specialized in the repair. I hope Lexus reads the messages on these boards and becomes proactive about addressing the issue. Then again, it is because of boards such as this one that problems are brought to light for car manufacturers. It just depends on what they do about them. If Wilkie Lexus is reading this message, please listen and not just hear.
Old 01-24-08, 04:22 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Thats usually how we do it. We have a big dealer, but its usually just about 2-3 techs that pull dashes. Surprisingly like I said, its really not as bad as a job as it seems. The interiors come apart pretty easily, you just have to know HOW they come apart.
Old 01-24-08, 05:35 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave
Hi - onepointon - I am usually only on the ES350 or LS460 boards, but came to read this thread as you suggested. People are surprised that level of service can vary between dealerships? Perhaps they go in with the wrong tone of voice or attitude, and they get what they deserve. My personal experience has been that I would never fear to buy a Lexus, because the dealer I use would take care of me no matter what the issue. I drove an ES350 loaner with the trans flare issue. I upgraded from my '03 ES300 with only a very short test drive and the promise from my service advisor that the issue was fixed as of the build date of my new car (and he was correct). That yoyo from Florida on the ES board seems to be getting paid by Honda or something. He has altered the facts of my statements, changed facts and uses flawed logic to bash the Lexus brand. I will no longer even dignify his presence with a reply. The engine 'knock' or 'diesel sound' he is so fond of harping about seems like a non-issue to me. Unlike him, I can hear it in park, I think the engine compartment insulation on the '07 models amplifies the sound of the cold timing chain/piston slap/direct injection. I merely mentioned it to my service advisor (who is very knowledgeable), and he wants me to take a loaner overnight so he can drive the car stone cold and let me know what he thinks. See the difference? I AM NOT CONCERNED, AND LEXUS IS. What more could I want?
The words, infecting a forum, come to mind over there. I no longer reply to the rants either...
Old 01-28-08, 12:44 PM
rozGS430
Rookie

You have me concerned as you have had your car less than a year. We spend 50K for a care that rattles as though it we an older Honda or Chevy. How bad has it been and did you wish that you did not have (dash taken out)it done? To me it sounded like a death warrant. My service adviser seemed to accept this problem as par for the course, but assured me that Wilkie would take care of it and I would be satisfied. BTY, He indicated that Lexus employees are forbidden to reads these messages boards.

I was a little concerned, okay a lot concerned, that they were taking my whole entire dash apart. It is quiet on the passenger side now, but it is rattling worse than even on the driver side, which it never did. And last night I discovered a black piece of felt hanging down over the top of the tachometer. So I am taking it back to Wilkie for the third time on 2/12. I am assuming they will have to take the dash all apart again. I have the cashmere interior and it is absolutely filthy because of all the trips to Wilkie. I will clean that up once this is resolved. It's funny that you mentionted Honda...my girlfriend drives a 2000 Accord with 100lk miles on it and she can't understand why I compaining about the rattles in the car. I said exactly what you said...I paid $56,000 for this car 10 months ago and it rattles like your Accord...unacceptable to me. Even though they took the dash apart and will likely have to again, I am hoping that this is resolved on all parts of the dash after this next trip into Wilkie. Put it this way, it needed to be done...rattles worse now, but on the other side...and I will keep taking it in until it is fixed.
Old 01-28-08, 05:53 PM
TimC
Rookie

To Roz430:

I hope it works for you. I think I got the fix right, at least mot of thetick.

However, on real hard impacts on the suspension, such as close dips or ripples on macandum, I hear something like a loose piece intermittently. I too may bring it in. Keep me posted
Old 02-08-12, 10:25 AM
InzaneIS
Driver School Candidate

Default TIM C: Dashboard Rattle

I purchased a IS250 08 AWD, from Wilkie Lexus and its only got 15K miles on it.
I do have a dashboard rattle coming from the passanger side dash close to the windshield.
I did make an appointment with the service department, what should i tell them?
Old 02-08-12, 02:26 PM
Leo23
Driver

Wow... all those rattles make me worry.

I just bought a new gs 2011. Do you think that the latest years still develop this problem? Could it be that those run flat tires could be somewhat the culprit- via vibrations?
Old 02-09-12, 07:18 AM
InzaneIS
Driver School Candidate

Default Gs 2011

Leo--
many people have commented on rattles and other random noises from all models of Lexus.
and amongst the same we have many who have reported no problems at all.
I would not worry about it that much since is a 2011 and I am sure Lexus might have improved the quality of the dashbaord.