GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TPMS Warning light AND Check System Light On

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 11:24 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the same boat... My OE wheels have 1 or more sensors that are dead. My second set of wheels that hang in my garage have 4 good sensors in them.

What I find interesting is that I can keep the TPMS switch set to the wheels hanging in the garage, and the "Check System" light will not come on. BUT... if I drive more than about an hour or hour and 15 minutes, the computer will realize that it is not receiving data from all 4 sensors that are actually on the wheels on the car and thus it triggers the "Check System" warning.

To remedy this situation, as it was already mentioned, just replace the dead sensors (better yet, just replace all of them as they will all eventually fail) and then have a dealer reprogram the car to the new sensors.

I know that there are places other than the dealer to get these sensors. Quite a bit of $ can be saved if you look around for a set. eBay and Amazon are 2 sources I've seen people order from, but just make sure that the sensors are listed as compatible!

I am looking to get a set this year, but may wait till next winter when I would put my second set back on. Basically to have them installed at the same time as the new tires I will buy in the fall. This avoids paying to have the wheels/tires taken apart twice.

The batteries in these TPMS sensors are not replaceable and they do eventually ALL go bad.
Old 01-20-14, 11:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Simmsled
What I find interesting is that I can keep the TPMS switch set to the wheels hanging in the garage, and the "Check System" light will not come on. BUT... if I drive more than about an hour or hour and 15 minutes, the computer will realize that it is not receiving data from all 4 sensors that are actually on the wheels on the car and thus it triggers the "Check System" warning.
the car checks after 50 miles. i never had another set of sensor on my aftermarket wheels and i rarely traveled over 50 miles in 1 trip but if i did, i would just pull over, turn the car off then start it back up and it was good for 50 more miles. only had to do like once or twice as i never drove over 50 miles in 1 trip.
Old 01-21-14, 09:55 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Simmsled
I'm in the same boat... My OE wheels have 1 or more sensors that are dead. My second set of wheels that hang in my garage have 4 good sensors in them.

To remedy this situation, as it was already mentioned, just replace the dead sensors (better yet, just replace all of them as they will all eventually fail) and then have a dealer reprogram the car to the new sensors.

I know that there are places other than the dealer to get these sensors. Quite a bit of $ can be saved if you look around for a set. eBay and Amazon are 2 sources I've seen people order from, but just make sure that the sensors are listed as compatible!

I am looking to get a set this year, but may wait till next winter when I would put my second set back on. Basically to have them installed at the same time as the new tires I will buy in the fall. This avoids paying to have the wheels/tires taken apart twice.

The batteries in these TPMS sensors are not replaceable and they do eventually ALL go bad.
*crosses fingers* 8 years now and my Rexus is still running strong w/ it's OEM TPMS
Old 01-21-14, 06:33 PM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I could disable the TPMS! Argh. I'm changing out the batteries on my TPMS. Gonna see if I can get this little project to work. It's just a battery in there. Have 2 taken apart so far
Old 01-21-14, 11:41 PM
XxGoKoUxX

get back to us tunedis!

I'm not happy knowing there's actual batteries in our TPMS systems, but I'm sure they're easily remedied with a fresh (reputable) battery.
Old 01-22-14, 07:30 AM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tunedis95
Wish I could disable the TPMS! Argh. I'm changing out the batteries on my TPMS. Gonna see if I can get this little project to work. It's just a battery in there. Have 2 taken apart so far
pics or it didn't happen!!

I know there is a gel like glue that is nearly impossible to get out. May just be easier to pay the 130 for an aftermarket set.
Old 01-22-14, 08:04 AM
XxGoKoUxX

gel like glue? Sounds like silicone, isn't that just heat and pull?
Old 01-23-14, 04:27 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Lol. I'm in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico at the moment. So pix in a few days. It's like a gasket glue type bonding agent. I just used a blade to cut the gunk out, snippers to cut the battery loose because tabs are "welded" to the battery. CR2450 battery, I didn't put the sensor together because I have not ordered the batteries with tabs yet. Just been putting it off. Wish I did because I just got the new wheels in. In a little bit of a pickle now. I also have the data cable doodad for our car so I can hopefully get the sensors working with the car again.
Old 01-23-14, 09:19 AM
XxGoKoUxX

O wow, GL and hope everything turns out alright with your pickled situation.

I love your non-technical jargon when you explain stuff, doodad, LOL! Yet you're one of the most knowledgeable OG's on here in CL haha!
Old 01-24-14, 09:44 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Got my new batteries. Shop spot welded the tabs, and just picked up a soldering gun. Gonna go grab a beer for lunch, then work on the install. Update coming up real soon. Hopefully us GS owners can save themselves $400 bucks now..

Don't mean to hack the thread, but thanks XXGOKOUXX
Old 01-25-14, 08:55 AM
XxGoKoUxX

By all means you're not tunedis, if anything you gave the OP a better idea that you can refurbish these TPMS sensors. You can always take these sensors to a local electronics repair shop w/ the battery and have them replaced for a few bucks lol.
Old 02-06-14, 09:14 AM
tunedis95
Pole Position

Well, I changed out the batteries. Had tabs welded to the batteries then soldered them in place. Supposedly my local discount tire programmer couldn't even recognize them, was fed up so paid $280 for all new sensors installed. Sorry guys
Old 02-06-14, 09:48 PM
XxGoKoUxX

It was worth a try tunedis, thanks for the info!
Old 03-31-14, 12:00 PM
beaslmf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check System Light

My light came on when it first got cold...I had all my tires checked,they were a liitle low so I aired them up a little( even the spare) and was not able to reset the light, then I noticed my automatic lift stopped working on the hatchback door as well as the little button you push to make the door go down by itself. I am wondering if there is a fuse burned out or something. The guy at the lexus place said it was a faulty tire sensor and said it would cost $250 to replace it...(That was before i noticed the back door not workingdoes anyone know how to fix this problem or bypass the sensor so I dont have to spend $250 at the dealership for nothing??? how do I check to see it it is something really simple like a fuse? Of course the manual does not tell you anything!
Old 01-02-18, 12:44 PM
flor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMPS light was on

Originally Posted by rozGS430
Wilkie said the TMPS light was on because i hit the switch into secondary mode. i didn't even know there was a switch let alone where it was. i even read through that massive manual and i still don't understand the button for the TPMS. oh well. at least the light is off now.
Where can I find the switch for TPMS ? I have a lexus rx400h 2008. How do I know it is in the secondary mode?

Thank you,

Flor

Quick Reply: TPMS Warning light AND Check System Light On