GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 AWD vs BMW 535xi

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 01:26 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the 535 was funner to drive. and i kinda like the bmw gear shifter over the lex gated shifter.
but that's about it.

the price was horrid. the bmw will end up being $8000 more expensive at least. That more than makes up for the more expensive lexus parts, if you ever need them, that is.

and the trunk space is larger in the 5, and not odd shaped like the GS

Last edited by dunnojack; 01-24-08 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-24-08, 01:37 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
the 535 was funner to drive. and i kinda like the bmw gear shifter over the lex gated shifter.
but that's about it.

AGREE only the first part of sentence, but in case you did not know on BMW's transmission it will NOT hold at the gear you have selected. It will upshift itself once it hits the REDLINE...
Old 01-24-08, 05:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I have just one word to say about the BMW, I-drive. It should be name I and you drive because it takes a co-pilot to operate
Old 01-24-08, 08:05 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slk_dds
AGREE only the first part of sentence, but in case you did not know on BMW's transmission it will NOT hold at the gear you have selected. It will upshift itself once it hits the REDLINE...
that's to prevent you from damaging the car and believe me, a lot of people forgets to shift when they are in manual mode
Old 01-24-08, 10:53 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough call, the GS350 provides a bit more luxury, while the 535 is a more sporty/athletic car. Both are nice, but provide different driving experiences.
Old 01-24-08, 11:13 AM
ahearn
Rookie

Back in November, I test drove the BMW 535i (not xi) and Lexus GS350 (not AWD) on the same day, and later bought a GS460.

I didn't like a lot of things about the BMW -- 300hp w/twin turbos (more stuff to break), weird iDrive controls, small nav screen buried in dash, run-flat tires, cheap cupholders, must look at dash to see what gear you're in, and stiff leather seats. And the ride was too harsh (probably run-flat tires). In short, BMW is too nerdy for my taste. I preferred the quality, reliability, performance, and looks of the Lexus.

I realize everyone's tastes are different, but I would recommend the Lexus.
Old 01-24-08, 11:16 AM
Kosmos
Rookie

if you never owned a BMW, lease the 535 or 550 for 2 years .. worth the fun.
drives like a true sports sedan, no lag, crisp shifts .. personally, I don't like the idrive ...
Old 01-24-08, 11:36 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stealth.GS
Before I pull the trigger on my new car i've been looking at all my options. Any sort of opinion on the two choices would be greaty appreciated. I've always loved BMW
I wonder what exactly you mean by "I've always loved BMW". I used to think I loved BMWs as well, but what I really liked was the idea of owning a BMW, it being the "ultimate driving machine". Then, I actually started seriously considering buying the 550i, and I drove it and really looked at its controls, etc. And I fell out of love with BMW.

Don't get me wrong, I thought that it was the best-handling car I've ever driven, but everything else (ergonomics, controls, storage, etc.) did not appeal to me as much as in the GS. I ended up getting the GS450h, and I'm very happy I did.
Old 01-24-08, 08:49 PM
dmz
Rookie

If you are leasing, go with the BMW. It will be cheaper dues to their great money factor and high residual.

If you are buying to keep for more than 4 years, get the Lexus.
Old 01-25-08, 07:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by whlkev
o and btw..

535xi is faster than the GS350AWD

535 vs. GS350
5.5 vs 5.8 0-60
300hp/300 lb-tq vs. 303hp/274 lb-tq

and you live in Montreal where it's really cold, the cold will be at your advantage for the twin turbos.

in your particular case, I would go for the BMW.
GS 350 AWD got ...0-60 in 5.3 seconds...I believe in Motor Trend or C&D
Old 01-25-08, 07:23 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
GS 350 AWD got ...0-60 in 5.3 seconds...I believe in Motor Trend or C&D
Must be Car and Driver, their 0-60 time is alway lower than everybody else.
Old 01-26-08, 01:30 AM
dafatha00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
Must be Car and Driver, their 0-60 time is alway lower than everybody else.
It was Motor Trend. But either way, the time seems to be a little exaggerated. I'd be surprised if the GS350 hits 5.5 in the 0-60. Lexus themselves have said they only got a 5.7 time out of the car.
Old 01-26-08, 03:51 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's important to look at ergonomics, 0-60 times, prestige factor, maintenance costs...etc.... but in the end I always say, go with your gut feeling. If you don't walk out into your garage every morning and SMILE.. you bought the wrong car. I'll give you my personal example. Back in 2006 I started looking for a car... I looked at a used 545i and a new GS300. I loved them both. I KNOW I would have been happy with either. BUT... I took an Acura RL for a drive...and although the exterior left me less than enthused...and as I put told my wife "It just doesn't have a soul like my old VW Jetta seemed to"... I bought the RL because it looked better on paper (not better in my garage). It was about 8-10k less for AWD, adaptive headlights, Nav, Bose stereo with DVD-A, rear sunshade.. LOADED to the gills. I owned it for about 18months...and in that 18months, there wasn't a day I didn't think to myself "I should have gotten the Lexus or BMW". I used to be on an Acura forum (still stop by Acurazine from time to time) ... and they are AS if not MORE enthusiastic about their Acura's... which means, get what car you're going to not just LIKE... but the car you'll LOVE... because they ALL cost too much damn money to 'not' get exactally what you want!
Old 01-26-08, 10:23 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Its comical had badly Acura missed with the 2RL, after such success with the 1st gen (and the Legend before that). Acura seems to be happy with being a niche brand - near luxury or entry-level luxury as opposed to the likes of Lexus, Bmw & MB. They need to stick a fork in the 2RL and release something that truly deserves to be the flagship car (Acura is capable, just look at the Nsx or Mdx as class leading examples)
Old 01-27-08, 05:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
I think it's important to look at ergonomics, 0-60 times, prestige factor, maintenance costs...etc.... but in the end I always say, go with your gut feeling. If you don't walk out into your garage every morning and SMILE.. you bought the wrong car. I'll give you my personal example. Back in 2006 I started looking for a car... I looked at a used 545i and a new GS300. I loved them both. I KNOW I would have been happy with either. BUT... I took an Acura RL for a drive...and although the exterior left me less than enthused...and as I put told my wife "It just doesn't have a soul like my old VW Jetta seemed to"... I bought the RL because it looked better on paper (not better in my garage). It was about 8-10k less for AWD, adaptive headlights, Nav, Bose stereo with DVD-A, rear sunshade.. LOADED to the gills. I owned it for about 18months...and in that 18months, there wasn't a day I didn't think to myself "I should have gotten the Lexus or BMW". I used to be on an Acura forum (still stop by Acurazine from time to time) ... and they are AS if not MORE enthusiastic about their Acura's... which means, get what car you're going to not just LIKE... but the car you'll LOVE... because they ALL cost too much damn money to 'not' get exactally what you want!

Good choice, I fell in love with the current RL too when I actually sat in it and drove it, I liked it better then the competition especially the interior which to me is higher quality and much nicer then the competitions. When you actually compare the RL to the competition and not just brand/prestige it just comes out as the better deal, the competition don't offer really anything over it except a v8 option and snob appeal. There are a few things dissapoint me about the RL though like the plain boring rims, the chromes are absolutely horrible, also I wish they had more wood choices like a light birds eye maple like was in the A spec RL concept and they should have a sport suspension option/model too. I hear the 09 RL will be heavily revised with a improved exterior and a bigger more powerful engine plus some other modifications.

Quick Reply: GS350 AWD vs BMW 535xi