GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 headlight pattern- is this correct?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-08, 11:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
my 07 gs350 is the same way. headlights are not aligned. my left headlight seems lower than the right and they dont seem like they give enough range. I have an appt in 1 wk to have that taken care of.
left side lower than right side is normal i believe. that's the spec, left side is lower to avoid glare to oncoming traffic
Old 01-26-08, 04:35 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Am I correct to say that if you remove the engine cover, you dont need the special screwdriver?
G-man, you are both correct and incorrect
It's just a #2 philips (not special), but it's gotta be on long @ss #2 philips (like 10" reach - special). The long reach screwdriver is needed even with the engine cover off as the vertical adjustment gear is buried deep in the fender (not shown well in the manual). The level bubble is easily seen once the engine cover is off so I guess that's a plus

I made mine by cutting off part of the handle. Later today I'll try to post a pic of mine next to something for scale. I'll also try to shoot the hole locations for the adjustment as well. Let's just say they weren't quite what and where I thought they'd be as 'outlined' in the manual. Plus, as you know, they were super easy to adjust in the GX - didn't even require engine cover removal.
Old 01-26-08, 07:08 AM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's an earlier discussion on how to adjust the aim: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220404

You do need to remove the covers in order to see the aiming gauges.
Old 01-26-08, 09:27 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carefull on the rotation of the gear. its made of soft alluminum or something.
Old 01-26-08, 09:52 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I correct to say that if you remove the engine cover, you dont need the special screwdriver?

yes you still need the long screwdriver for the low beam adjustment. it's way down in there.
Old 01-26-08, 11:27 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Here's a picture of the screwdriver I modified to do the job by cutting the plastic handle casing off w/ a hack saw. As you can see you need approx 8" in order to reach and turn the vertical adjusting gear deep in the fender. A #2 philips is the correct size. If you try w/ a smaller or larger size you might end up stripping the gear.

Old 01-26-08, 02:55 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Walmart sells the really long screwdriver. Thats where I got mine.
Old 02-04-08, 05:43 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Since these headlights are auto leveling, do they ahve to be powered when you adjust them. Does the car have to be on?
Old 02-04-08, 05:45 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Since these headlights are auto leveling, do they ahve to be powered when you adjust them. Does the car have to be on?
I would suggest having them on for adjusting. How else would u see where the beam is pointing?
Old 02-04-08, 05:51 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

BurgBoxstr, the vertical adjustment is inside the hole in the fender behind the headlights right? The reason I ask is that I try to adjust them with the car off. I could not even get the screwdriver to garb onto the cog and I had a 10" inch #2 phillips too. I am thinking maybe when the car and the lights have to be on to access the adjustment. Am I carzy to make that assumption? One more question if you dont mind, the bubble leveler. If you are stand in front of the car, does the bubble move toward the back of the car when the head light is raise?

Last edited by The G Man; 02-04-08 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-05-08, 05:27 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Yes - vertical adj for the low beams is deep inside the fender. It's tough to get the screwdriver right on the cog - took many attempts for me each time. Use a flashlight and contort your head to see it in there. There is a black channel guide to "help" but not much. As I recall, the screwdriver goes in at about 45 deg angle to hit properly.

Due to the auto-leveler adjustment (and if you have AFS lights) best to have the car on and w/ at least 3/4 of a tank of gas when adjusting the lights. To better see the adjustments I was making, I also put a piece of painters tape on the wall in front of the vehicle.

There are 2 bubble guages. One for the high beam which is easy to see and the other for low which is down inside the back of the clear plastic headlight housing - tougher to see. Make sure you're looking at the correct one (don't ask how I know ). It's just like the bubble on a level. As the beam raises, the bubble will move towards the front of the vehicle.
Old 02-05-08, 05:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I thought the one down inside the back of the clear plastic headlight housing is the low beam horiz. adjustment. I still havent found that one yet lol. I have bubble gauge right on top. According to the manual, one is for high horiz and one is for low horiz.
Old 02-05-08, 06:04 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

As I'm sure you're finding out, the manual is very much useless when it comes to adjusting the headlights.

It's been a while since I adjusted mine so I might be wrong in exactly where the low beam's vert. bubble indicator is exactly. Make sure you find both of the bubble indicators (one is for high beam, one for low). The low beam one will be closer to the outside of the vehicle on each side. The horizontal adjuster gauge has a "ruler" w/ a red (IIRC) indicator that moves along the gauge indicating L or R adjustment. I'll try to get some pix of all posted in the next few days as most of the locations for adjustment and gauges are counter intuitive.

Last edited by BurgBoxstr; 02-05-08 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-05-08, 07:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Burgboxstr, some pictures would be great, and you are right, the manual is useless
Old 02-06-08, 06:51 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Here you go G Man...

To show you how far in the fender it goes, here's another pic of the screwdriver I used. There's a notch in the plastic trim on the fender where it gets inserted. You can barely see it - parallel to where the shaft meets the handle on the screwdriver.

Now inserted into the vertical adjustment slot. It will sorta click into place when you hit it right. Like on the GX, you have to wiggle it a bit to hit the teeth on the wheel. Apply a little pressure on the screwdriver handle towards the front of the car when turning the adjustment wheel.

another shot - you can see both the low and high beam vertical bubble gauges (in one housing) in front of and somewhat hidden by the rad support. Low beam on outside of vehicle, high is inside.

The angle and depth the screwdriver is inserted:

I was mistaken earlier in saying the bubble was in the clear plastic housing behind the light. That's just the horizontal guage - my bad, sorry. My GS350 does not have AFS not that it should make too much difference, but it might

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: GS350 headlight pattern- is this correct?