GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

'08 GS350 NAV/ML hybrid disc

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-08, 05:11 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default '08 GS350 NAV/ML hybrid disc

Guys I've come to a conclusion that my new 08 NAV/ML computer hardware will not read older firmware version. For the past month i've tried burning 5.1/7.1 and 5.1/6.1 hybrid disk and all failed to work.

Reason i'm saying '08 and newer nav/ml computer hardware wont read older version firmware is because i have tried using 3 different 5.1 nav disc and 1 6.1 nav disc on my car, and none of them will load. Some of you might ask me if i disconnected the battery terminal or pull the TV1 fuse. The answer is YES i did.

Unless someone with a '08 and newer GS has sucessfully made a workable hybrid disc, please share your info. As of right now, i've done the nav hack (wire cutting) it enables DVD playback, Bluetooth, and MP3 file folders while the car is in motion, and using a switch for the nav lockout. The switch for the nav lockout only works for 1 minute and it goes back to lockout mode.
Old 01-28-08, 06:10 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

couple of things to try that may be too obvious but things i learned the hard way (not on an 08). when you say you tried several 5.1 and 6.1 that wouldn't load were those factory originals or were those the hybrids you created?

If factory originals, be sure they are the right generation numbers for your hardware. with 08 i assume gen 5. as you know, data dvd 5.1 and 6.1 etc come in different generation versions for different year/hardware on different cars. the dvds are marked with U or W etc then a 2 digit number. just be sure you've got what's right. you can for example pick up a 5.1 or 6.1 that is factory original but absolutely wrong for your nav hardware. I know, i know it's obvious but i thought worth mentioning. sometimes i get so focused on solving a complex problem that i miss something easy. if it's originals you can't get to run and they are the right generation for your system, i think you're right, it's not workable.

if it's the hybrids that you can't get to load, at all, then it's worth making sure the problem isn't the brand of blank dvds, the burner software or the burner drive. the nav readers are really touchy and all of those things can matter. before i burned my hybrid for the 07 i took a factory nav dvd that my car would read and made a backup copy of it first. not hybrid, just straight backup copy. then put it in the system to be sure i could burn a workable dvd. if it reads ok then you know the blank dvds, burner software etc are ok. if they won't load at all then you can concentrate on fixing those things. My system wouldn't read a dvd i burned with Nero but did read when i used Roxio for example. if you haven't already, its worth eliminating those things as possible variables.

ive done a lot with this on 06 and 07s. not 08s. just throwing out some ideas.

Last edited by ecount00; 01-28-08 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-28-08, 10:54 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Yes the 5.1 and 6.1 disc i tried are OEM originals.

5.1 is U30 and 6.1 is U31 and my 7.1 is U32

I'm very sure i'm using the right Gen disc.
Old 01-29-08, 04:21 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
Yes the 5.1 and 6.1 disc i tried are OEM originals.

5.1 is U30 and 6.1 is U31 and my 7.1 is U32

I'm very sure i'm using the right Gen disc.
I figured.

you're right, they seemed to be making sure the in motion capability is locked away. they tried to take it away in v6 by moving the hidden menu and people figured a way around it with the hybrid. have now defeated that too.

i wasn't able to get a 5.1/7.1 hybrid to even work in the 06GS with Gen4 hardware. i could get it to read the hybrid dvd, get to the hidden menu as expected etc but the search routines and input address functions didn't work at any time. i got a 5 and 6 hybrid to work, the files structures were the same on each and the loading file was the same size etc but on 7.1 the file structure was different so swaping in the old loading file didn't work. it read the dvd and showed the maps etc but wouldn't really function. they seem to be perfecting their Big Brother act. i finally went to the r-spec plug and play override kit rather than wire hack.

Last edited by ecount00; 01-29-08 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 08:37 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't worry tommy, someone will soon find out

subscribed for future update
Old 01-29-08, 09:41 AM
sf7307
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they seem to be perfecting their Big Brother act.
My husband says that after we press "I Agree", there should be another screen that says "I Waive" and then the motion lockout is gone
Old 01-29-08, 11:14 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to play devil's advocate, but I really can't blame Toyota for this. TMCo is poised to become the world's largest car maker, and with that comes unlimited litigation risk, as people will target any company with deep pockets. If a jury will award some moron $2mm from McD for serving coffee that is 'too' hot, what's next ? Ford/Firestone's Explorer tire fiasco resulted in mandatory Tpms systems in all US cars, so its just a matter of time before Honda/Acura gets slapped by a multimillion $ lawsuit from some moron that caused an accident by playing with the Nav while in motion. I think TMCo is just ahead of the curve on this one and soon all auto Mfrs will lock out their Navis, it's just a matter of time . . .

Last edited by socalJD; 01-29-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-29-08, 11:56 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whlkev
don't worry tommy, someone will soon find out

subscribed for future update
I think that's what we said about the hybrid and 07s too. but we didn't.

thank God for the wire hack and plug and play. 30 to 60 seconds is better than nothing.
Old 01-29-08, 04:45 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Originally Posted by ecount00
I think that's what we said about the hybrid and 07s too. but we didn't.

thank God for the wire hack and plug and play. 30 to 60 seconds is better than nothing.
My wire hack with the switch alows me 1 minute time to unlock the nav functionality. Like you said above, Better than nothing.
Old 01-29-08, 06:56 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
My wire hack with the switch alows me 1 minute time to unlock the nav functionality. Like you said above, Better than nothing.

That caught my attention before. I always thought the wire hack was so hard core that it worked until the switch was thrown back but I guess not. I've got the plug and play kit that emulates the wire hack. was advertised to give 'up to' 5 minutes of unlock time. i get about 30 seconds at speeds of 40+mph. i have noticed that if i am crawling through a neighborhood or in heavy traffic at slower speeds it lasts closer to a minute. I don't get it but that's the way it works. If i don't get the address or poi in in 30 seconds, at least when the 30 seconds expires, i can flick the switch off, wait a few seconds and flick it back on get another 30 seconds and pick up where i left off without starting over. I don't think i've ever had to go to a 3rd round to get it done.
Old 01-30-08, 09:19 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

What is the difference between disc?

For example a U31 and a W41?
Old 01-30-08, 09:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i am curious. if you are doing the wire mod already, why is it still only 1 min of unlock time? i thought when you switch over, the whole thing is unlocked until you switch it back?
Old 01-30-08, 09:31 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am curious. if you are doing the wire mod already, why is it still only 1 min of unlock time? i thought when you switch over, the whole thing is unlocked until you switch it back?
It is more than a minute usually, i have not timed it though as it is enough to punch in an address , however the satellite signal to the nav overrides the lack of VSS at some point, you have to turn off and on and it gives you a more time.
Old 01-30-08, 12:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh (forgive me, i never read the whole thing on wiring mod coz' i won't do it), so even with the nav switch mod, after a min or so the nav will detect it and "lock up" the screen again? that's new to me.

so i guess the override kit from PS is the only one so far that provides full 5 min override, at least for 07?

maybe it's another sign the gs is different from is/ls? on the ls, there is no 1 min limitation. and i thought the same case for is
Old 01-30-08, 12:34 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Originally Posted by rominl
oh (forgive me, i never read the whole thing on wiring mod coz' i won't do it), so even with the nav switch mod, after a min or so the nav will detect it and "lock up" the screen again? that's new to me.

so i guess the override kit from PS is the only one so far that provides full 5 min override, at least for 07?

maybe it's another sign the gs is different from is/ls? on the ls, there is no 1 min limitation. and i thought the same case for is
Henry,

Basically doing the wire mod and swith is the same as installing the plug in play kit you have. I test the timing again. Sometimes is 1 minute and at other times is almost two minutes before the satellite signals your nav that your care is in motion and it locks out the nav functionality again.

Quick Reply: '08 GS350 NAV/ML hybrid disc