GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Fixed my wheel vibration/shaking problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 08:49 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed my wheel vibration/shaking problem.

For those who have lowered and added aftermarket wheels that are getting a shaking for vibrating problem, here are more things to do if this happens to you. Given this will not happen to everyone, my case is different as with everyone else.

So I got my wheels and put them on. Violent shaking from 60mph+.
1st fix: I was given the wrong hub rings with my wheels. So I got the proper hub rings and it helped a little. 70mph+ shaking

2nd fix: I was told to road force balance my wheels. Did this and the wheels came out PERFECTLY balanced. Not really a fix. lol

3rd fix: While I was at the wheel shop they checked my hub rings. Turns out I got the right hub rings 60.1 bore, BUT it had a little play in it. So they got me another set of hub rings, which were 60.06. Installed and they sit perfectly.

4th fix: Turns out my lugnuts were not the proper ones to be used. Geez... my expensive lugnuts. So they showed me another lugnut:

They install it in the fronts only because they only had 10. Still got my lugnuts in the rear.

Jumped on the highway and tada.... 0-80mph no shaking or anything close to it. I am happy, but it wasn't cheap. Time for tints and the alignment,
Old 01-30-08, 09:20 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm, what kind of lugnuts were you using before?
Old 01-30-08, 10:07 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

That is one ugly wheel for a Gs, what size is it 16
Old 01-30-08, 10:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

man I went through a similar situation with a set of asanti's. I went back 8 times and finally got the money back for the wheels. I odered a set through a wheel and tire shop that does only high end cars for dealerships. I have a feeling they will do a better job than discount tire. When I pulled into the shop they had three Lorinser tuned Benzs , a Ferrari F430, and a Bently all getting new shoes. I am glad you got it figured out. I know how frustrating it can be. My new wheels should be in this week. I am praying things will go more smoothly. You would be surprised how much these little things like lug nuts and the worlds smallest amount of play in a hub ring will still cause enough vibration for someone to feel it. Again I am glad you got it sorted out.
Old 01-30-08, 10:34 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mesca
Hm, what kind of lugnuts were you using before?

http://www.aj-racing.com/catalog/pro...3&cat=6&page=2

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
That is one ugly wheel for a Gs, what size is it 16
LOL, that is a picture of the lugnut I found on google. The only way those wheels are going to go on my car is if im at the track with crazy HP on the GS. rears ONLY because i wanna look good in the front while going down the strip.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
man I went through a similar situation with a set of asanti's. I went back 8 times and finally got the money back for the wheels. I odered a set through a wheel and tire shop that does only high end cars for dealerships. I have a feeling they will do a better job than discount tire. When I pulled into the shop they had three Lorinser tuned Benzs , a Ferrari F430, and a Bently all getting new shoes. I am glad you got it figured out. I know how frustrating it can be. My new wheels should be in this week. I am praying things will go more smoothly. You would be surprised how much these little things like lug nuts and the worlds smallest amount of play in a hub ring will still cause enough vibration for someone to feel it. Again I am glad you got it sorted out.
I really feel what you are talking about. Spent $$$ on wheels and to find out they shake, it bummed me out big time. The learning I can't use my $$$ lugs made it suck even more. Lucky for me it was more of the front that was having the problem rather then the rears. I will however pick up a set for the rears just to have around.
Old 02-05-08, 09:48 PM
LMN_Sins
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fixed my shaking too. i thought i had a balancing problem but turned out to by something with the tire side wall not sitting flat with the lip of the wheels. so i was losing air really slowly and it was causing a shaking wobbling feeling from the rear of my car.
Old 02-06-08, 09:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

I use McGard Splinedrive lugs on my aftermarket wheels. The cheaper "tuner" lugs tend to be made of poor quality and are manufactured with pretty low quality standards. McGard is an O.E. supplier for Toyota/Lexus wheel locks and lugs.
Old 02-07-08, 08:02 AM
DealWheel
Driver School Candidate

Nice fix. I was having a problem with vibration as well. Hubcentric rings were my problem.
Old 02-12-08, 01:40 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im still confused?

The expensive "tapered lug nut" was not correct and you had to swap it with a tapered hybrid version with a little uniform lip at the end?

Is that correct?
Old 02-12-08, 02:03 PM
mattscpu
Driver School Candidate

Default I went through a huge lug nut issue with

aftermarket wheels on my BMW 745. Discount Tire had told me my stock lugs were too short so they put on some other lugs. They had put on some that were too long and it was hitting against my rotor. Freaking idiots. I had taken it up there because of a loud noise coming from my wheels. Be very careful when you put on aftermarket wheels...
Old 02-12-08, 02:05 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's why you buy rims from a reputable company that provides the lugs when you buy the rims like BBS
Old 02-12-08, 03:14 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHOA! those lugs list for $599?! I would never pay that much for titanium lugs. I dont care what they look like. ProjectKICS makes some nice titanium finished extended lugs for like $240 shipped.

They look nice but waay pricey. My TOM's wheels are coming with lugs.
Old 02-12-08, 07:50 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
Im still confused?

The expensive "tapered lug nut" was not correct and you had to swap it with a tapered hybrid version with a little uniform lip at the end?

Is that correct?
For the fronts I swapped out the lugs for the regular looking lugnuts with a shank on it. The rears still have the Ti lugnuts on them.

Originally Posted by mattscpu
aftermarket wheels on my BMW 745. Discount Tire had told me my stock lugs were too short so they put on some other lugs. They had put on some that were too long and it was hitting against my rotor. Freaking idiots. I had taken it up there because of a loud noise coming from my wheels. Be very careful when you put on aftermarket wheels...
You must be referring to some lug they used with a much longer shank then the one I posted up. They come in various sizes.

WHOA! those lugs list for $599?! I would never pay that much for titanium lugs. I dont care what they look like. ProjectKICS makes some nice titanium finished extended lugs for like $240 shipped.

They look nice but waay pricey. My TOM's wheels are coming with lugs.
Yeah, they cost that much... BUT did I pay that much. No where close to it.
Old 02-13-08, 07:44 PM
808 GS
Rookie

Bleh, I have those Project Kics lugs, and you know what..... since they are steel and not aluminum, they rusted within a week. Well, just the inner part, where the stud goes. The coating isn't uniform all the way into the inner part, leaving the steel exposed. I had them on my car for only a week and the insides started rusting. I guess being in Hawaii is also a big factor.

I have those T1R's also, but IMO open ended lugs look better on a more race/performance oriented car. One that possibly has extended studs, therefore requiring the open ended lugs. For the Lexus, I prefer these lugs. The base spins also, just like the Project Kics.
Old 03-13-08, 12:08 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know a lot of people including myself are having problem with the shaking at 60 mph. I am running on the stock 16 with stock lugs. I also have the 19 g35 wheels and i also run them with the stock lugs, I also get the shaking. I know there are issues with the g35 on centric hub. but what explains the shaking on the stock 16s with stock lugs. If it is the lugs then I should not get any shaking on the stock wheels. what do you think

Quick Reply: Fixed my wheel vibration/shaking problem.