GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mark Levingson sounds terrible against the bose system

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08 | 09:53 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

No highs, No Lows, it has to be Bose !!!
Old 01-31-08 | 11:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by ste
i know people have different opinions but ok the GS ML system is not the best in the world but it sounds good, but y complain about it. thats like me saying my GS350 is not fast enough, well if i wanted faster i should have gotten a GS460 or GS450h. If the music sounds so great in the LS y not buy the LS, then you would be complain that it doesnt sound as good as the mercedes S550. just be happy. the GS is a mid luxury car its not the flagship. seems like everbody wants flagship quality but only want to pay mid luxury prices.
if you don't like other comments you can choose not to read either. you can complain the gs350 not fast enough as well, it's just opinions. people can like the car, AND dislike the car
Old 02-01-08 | 03:16 AM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rwdds
I'm not a sound engineer, but I have been playing with 'high-end' audio equipment for 35 years. Just traded my G35 coupe with the Bose Premium - for a 300 w/ML. I hated the Infinity sound system immediately. Bought the GS because of the ML!

Audiophiles pretty much feel Bose equipment is -basically- junk. They mass market in Wal-Mart and the Circuit City arena's.

If you really listen to ML system in just about any Lexus, you will get a purer sound, cleaner bass, better dynamic range and channel separation in comparison to any but the most expensive automotive aftermarket kits. If you just want LOUD... any Bose will pump out db's. If you enjoy clarity and the serenity of a pure soundfield, the ML is the way to go.

Make sure you are listening to a DVD-Audio (look for discs w/ DTS surround for the best audio) or DVD-Video discs with Dolby Digital. Standard CD's sound great but don't compare with surround fidelity.

Finally, every individual has their own taste and definition of what 'sounds good'. My post was my $.02 and I can only say for me, the Lev makes this the best auto experience I've ever had!
I agree with you. While the ML isn't the best system ever, it's pretty good for what it does and costs. Bose is crap. Ever seen their home theater stuff? There is no subwoofer...there's a bass module...yeah... try to figure that part out and you'll know why bose is crap. Now gimme my low frequencies back!
Old 02-01-08 | 05:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Almost all of the Bose system I have heard on cars have been crap. The Bose system on the RL is actually pretty good, right up there with the ML on the GS.
Old 02-01-08 | 08:03 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

when i started seeing Bose on Chevy... it lost all its right to be considered HIGH END
Old 02-01-08 | 08:54 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

Everyone hears differently, sees things differently.
I agree Acura ELS systems are right up there with ML. The Bose in the RL, not even close.
Old 02-01-08 | 09:58 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

I think in reality the majority of GS owners listen to CDs and mp3-CDs instead of DVD-audio. The DVD-audio is simply not commonly available. So when most of the owners listening to the CDs making it easy to understand they would expect more from the ML system.
Old 02-01-08 | 10:40 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by memasterac
I think in reality the majority of GS owners listen to CDs and mp3-CDs instead of DVD-audio. The DVD-audio is simply not commonly available. So when most of the owners listening to the CDs making it easy to understand they would expect more from the ML system.
Good point.

Originally Posted by rominl
if you don't like other comments you can choose not to read either. you can complain the gs350 not fast enough as well, it's just opinions. people can like the car, AND dislike the car
Exactly. IMHO, one benefit of this forum is that owners can be critical and find faults with their cars. Hopefully Lexus listens and can make a good car even better.
Old 02-01-08 | 02:23 PM
rwdds
Driver

Go out and buy "The Pulse" DVD-Video of David Gilmore and his version of the Pink Floyd experience, recorded in England a few years ago. Load it into the ML, select the 640kb track version.

Absolutely pristine, DARK SIDE OF THE MOON in a 5.1 mix surround sound...

It's incredible.
Old 02-01-08 | 08:03 PM
ste
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
your right i could choose not to read. you are also right that people can complain about whateva they want. however there is like 20 threads already discussing the ML system, just watch in 2 weeks there will be another new thread bashing the ML system.
Old 02-01-08 | 08:17 PM
LexFather

THere is no way in the universe the Bose system is better than ML. Maybe u got a bad/faulty ML system?

The Infiniti Bose system and any Bose system in any car I've sat in is pretty, pretty bad.

Funny, when I was younger, I thought "Bose" meant something, but as I've gotten older and read and listened to different cars, Bose sound systems in cars are just awful.

I've heard more bass and clarity in an ice cream truck.
Old 02-01-08 | 08:28 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

The ML system in the GS is not all that great. I think it is just decent,
but Bose is the most overrated brand in the universe. Not a big fan...
Old 02-04-08 | 12:34 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

I found the bass was too "plump" in the ML. so I did a relatively simple mod to improve it. Just having a **** to tweak the bass is a nice benefit--easier than using the screen menus.

I'd say some of the best surround sound comes in Volvos--the ones with the Dynaudio speakers. I also had a short demo of the new Jaguar with B&W surround system at CES, and it sounded real sweet. Much smoother through the midrange and sweeter and extended at the top than the ML. Like B&Ws sound at home! And better imaging of center vocals--in front of you insead of in the middle of the dash--where they [don't] belong (contrary to the ML brochure). With better tuning, the GS could have sounded a lot better than it does. It's not the components that are lacking in particular, as my woofer amp mod proves.

I should also mention that trying to play DVD-A discs is a waste of time IF it is 5.1 discrete that you want. The GS ML system cannot play the 5.1 hi rez MLP or PCM audio from DVD-A, only stereo. So it's no better than playing regular DVDs in terms of 5.1, and of course there's lots more of those available as rwdds points out.

Last edited by DrexLex; 02-04-08 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-05-08 | 06:10 PM
MITTWOCH
Driver School Candidate

Default STE this is for you.

What is your problem STE, you are not the only person that has a darn GS350 for goodness sake. Here is a little advice for you STE take those BIG A** wheels off that car it is NOT hot. You must be a young boy who has never had anything because if you have then you would not be going crazy over speakers in a car!!! Until you can hang with the best of them PLEASE SHUT YOUR MOUTH
Old 02-05-08 | 08:20 PM
ste
Driver

Default Mittwoch This Is For You

Originally Posted by MITTWOCH
What is your problem STE, you are not the only person that has a darn GS350 for goodness sake. Here is a little advice for you STE take those BIG A** wheels off that car it is NOT hot. You must be a young boy who has never had anything because if you have then you would not be going crazy over speakers in a car!!! Until you can hang with the best of them PLEASE SHUT YOUR MOUTH
I will take your advice if u take my advice. 1st my advise is learn how to read. 2nd who said im going crazy over speakers in a car. 3rd where did i state to be the only person with a GS350, duh last time i checked we are in a 3rd GS forum. 4th me being a young boy. WRONG! im a young man and im willing to bet that you are 20 years older then me. let me guess your an GOOD OLD BOY who dont like young men with big rims. 5th and what do u consider the best of them. so GOOD OLD BOY go back and read my post again i was never bragging about having a GS. so until u learn how to read SHUT YOUR OLD MOUTH

Quick Reply: Mark Levingson sounds terrible against the bose system