GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mark Levingson sounds terrible against the bose system

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 10:30 AM
jumbo1275
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levingson sounds terrible against the bose system

i've just purchased a 08 awd gs 350 ML starfire pearl about a month. I also have a 05 infiniti fx35 and the bose system sounds much better than the ML system on the gs. does anyone know how i could make the ML sound better by adding Amp? speakers? If i do alter the ML system by adding amp's or speaker would that affect my warranty?

i tried watching dvd's in the car with the ml system it does sound better than cd's and radio. but dvd audio don't really have much of a choice to buy. i still think my bose in the 05 fx35 sounds better unless there's some settings i need to change on the ml system it sounds dull compare to the bose in the fx35

thanks for telling me to turn the surround off it does sound better with it off on radio and cd's

Last edited by jumbo1275; 02-04-08 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 10:40 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumbo1275
i've just purchased a 08 awd gs 350 ML starfire pearl about a month. I also have a 05 infiniti fx35 and the bose system sounds much better than the ML system on the gs. does anyone know how i could make the ML sound better by adding Amp? speakers? If i do alter the ML system by adding amp's or speaker would that affect my warranty?

I agree... I came from an Acura RL with Bose...and it sounded MUCH better. Except for the bass. The ML bass is much better than the RL. But then again the RL was using an 8" Sub. I don't know how to improve on the existing system... I doubt it would void the warranty.
Old 01-31-08, 10:54 AM
GatorWPB
Driver

Just a thought, but have you turned off the surround sound?

To me it was a huge difference with the surround sound off.
Old 01-31-08, 11:11 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you comparing cd to cd ? of the same source?

put a DVD audio disk in there and you'll appreciate the ML a lot more.
Old 01-31-08, 12:44 PM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whlkev
are you comparing cd to cd ? of the same source?

put a DVD audio disk in there and you'll appreciate the ML a lot more.
I think CD actually sounds pretty good on the ML...but I'll give the edge to Acura when it comes to DVD-A. The Beatles "Love" and Blue Man Group on DVD-A both had much better surround sound with the Bose... in my humble opinion.

I guess the proof is that in 2yrs on the Acura forum...I've heard nothing but rave reviews from the RL owners on the sound system in the car... but here, I seem to here more BAD than GOOD about the ML. Either the ML really is nothing special... or Lexus GS owners are more particular about their sound than Acura owners.
Old 01-31-08, 01:40 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not too impressed with the ML system in my GS either. I've heard the ML system in the LS460 and it sounds great. But for some reason, the ML sounds very average in the GS IMO.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 01-31-08 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-31-08, 01:47 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
I'm not too impressed with the ML system in my GS either. I've heard the ML system in the LS460 and it sounds great. But for some reason, the ML sounds very average in the GS.
that's because the LS has the ML reference system. supposedly day and night difference.

there was a symphony orchestra created by using only the speakers from 12 LS460

it's amazing..

http://www.lexusorchestra.co.uk/
Old 01-31-08, 01:51 PM
rwdds
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a sound engineer, but I have been playing with 'high-end' audio equipment for 35 years. Just traded my G35 coupe with the Bose Premium - for a 300 w/ML. I hated the Infinity sound system immediately. Bought the GS because of the ML!

Audiophiles pretty much feel Bose equipment is -basically- junk. They mass market in Wal-Mart and the Circuit City arena's.

If you really listen to ML system in just about any Lexus, you will get a purer sound, cleaner bass, better dynamic range and channel separation in comparison to any but the most expensive automotive aftermarket kits. If you just want LOUD... any Bose will pump out db's. If you enjoy clarity and the serenity of a pure soundfield, the ML is the way to go.

Make sure you are listening to a DVD-Audio (look for discs w/ DTS surround for the best audio) or DVD-Video discs with Dolby Digital. Standard CD's sound great but don't compare with surround fidelity.

Finally, every individual has their own taste and definition of what 'sounds good'. My post was my $.02 and I can only say for me, the Lev makes this the best auto experience I've ever had!
Old 01-31-08, 02:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yes, don't even bring in the ls460 reference system, it blows away everything. i was a bit disappointed by the ML on the gs as well. still better than most out there, but won't get wow from me. i haven't heard the RL or the FX so i can't comment

about warranty, if you change the amp or speakers, and later on the head unit break, well, it will be your say vs they say on aftermarket parts
Old 01-31-08, 04:00 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I have pretty much heard all the ML systems Lexus has to offer. I like clarity in my music, not loud bass. The LS is by far the best. The GX and the LX ML system is pretty good too, maybe due to the larger cabin. The GS is somewhere in the middle. The RX. ES and the IS ML system sounds no better than the standard GS system. I guess you get what you paid for.
Old 01-31-08, 06:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I also had a prev infiniti and noticed the sound quality on my 03 g35 sedan was cleaner, but the interior rattled with any bass, and the CD player in the car was replaced 4 times. I like the ML as long as it remains reliable
Old 01-31-08, 08:22 PM
ste
Driver

i must be lucky bc my ML system sounds awesome. i had acura Rl and acura legend with bose and they both sounded like garbage. also remember that those cars were both 45k. anytime someone hears my system they are amazed thats is stock and dont believe me. i have noticed if listening to a CD it sounds better if the surround is turned off. besides why are yall comparing a 70k car with 19 speakers to a 50k with 14 speakers. common sense will tell you which would sound better. be thankful u have 14 speakers and not only 4 speakers that came on most cars in the 90's. stop complaining about ever little item on the car and be thankful u have such a nice car. not to be an A** but i believe some people just sit an think of what can i complain about today on my GS.
Old 01-31-08, 08:29 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ste
not to be an A** but i believe some people just sit an think of what can i complain about today on my GS.
Or maybe some people have opinions different than yours. Although the GS is a nice car, it's far from perfect.
Old 01-31-08, 09:16 PM
ste
Driver

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Or maybe some people have opinions different than yours. Although the GS is a nice car, it's far from perfect.
i know people have different opinions but ok the GS ML system is not the best in the world but it sounds good, but y complain about it. thats like me saying my GS350 is not fast enough, well if i wanted faster i should have gotten a GS460 or GS450h. If the music sounds so great in the LS y not buy the LS, then you would be complain that it doesnt sound as good as the mercedes S550. just be happy. the GS is a mid luxury car its not the flagship. seems like everbody wants flagship quality but only want to pay mid luxury prices.
Old 01-31-08, 09:46 PM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! The ML is a lot better system that the BOSE. BOSE is pretty much crap next to the ML. BOSE is a decent system that is house hold name for a high end systems.

Quick Reply: Mark Levingson sounds terrible against the bose system