GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

AutoWeek's Point/Counterpoint on the GS460

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-08, 02:58 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If im not mistaken the GS460 is not direct injected so no ticking from direct injectors.
Old 02-04-08, 03:03 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
If im not mistaken the GS460 is not direct injected so no ticking from direct injectors.
GS460 does have direct injection

A D-4S (Direct injection 4-stroke Superior version) stoichiometric direct injection system, the world’s only automotive injection system to adopt two injectors per cylinder, is combined with Lexus’ Dual VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing * intelligent). Combining the strengths of both port injection and direct injection, D-4S realises higher engine output and lower emissions.
Old 02-04-08, 03:34 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

yeah, I found it pretty funny... "lexus cars are usually so boring and quiet.... wtf, i can hear the engine, its soo loud!".

And actually build quality of GS is top notch. You can talk about subjective stuff all you want, but GS has better built interior than anything german.
Old 02-04-08, 04:08 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'd rather get two 375hp hyndai genesisis for $60000.

then i can woop this car twice.

not
Old 02-04-08, 07:32 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
You can talk about subjective stuff all you want, but GS has better built interior than anything german.
And that is not a subjective statement? What is your basis for this bold statement?
Old 02-04-08, 09:52 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am considering getting a GS450h, so I'll interject... I've seen or owned a fair bit of german cars. I can't point out a german vehicle in the same price range (or even +40%) that has a comparable interior. One can actually argue that only the latest Merc S/CL has something comparable going on, at x2 the price. Nothing in BMWs stable. Certainly nothing Porsche. Audi - yes, it is comparable, but not necessarily better.
Old 02-05-08, 12:59 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Again, what are you basing that statement on? Build quality? Ergonomics? Quality of materials?

As much as I love my GS, I think it is subpar in many respects compared to German cars. Granted, the level of fit and finish is different based on each manufacturer's model but both of the previous posts are bold statements.

In regards to "build quality", the GS has so many rattles that I have given up on them. I just ride it out during the winter and pray for warmer weather. I simply do not have rattle issues in my German cars. If you take apart the GS, you will see a substantial difference in build quality. The wood on the center tunnel is a perfect example. It's very thin, and scratches very easily. It has a plastic backing plate and does not have a thick layer of poly over it to give it depth. It is in fact no different from some of the aftermarket stick on pieces that are sold from 3rd party vendors. Obviously the pieces are molded to fit but they don't even look real to me ad to be perfectly honest, the red finish is cheesy. I removed a wood panel on my wife's S500 the other day and was stunned at the quality of the piece. It was at least 6 layers of wood with a aluminum backing plate and a 1mm thick layer of polyurethane over the wood. I wish I had taken photos because the quality of that single piece of wood was over the top impressive and over-engineered to an obscene level. There is no way the GS can be compared to the interior of a S class or a 7 series BMW. Cost cutting is evident everywhere in the GS and I could write volumes comparing each individual thing with my prev 745Li, current S500/GL450/997TT, or any of the other German cars I have previously owned. There is no comparison.

With that said, the GS is not exactly a piece of crap. For the money, it is very impressive and far better than some of the German cars I have owned. I LOVE my GS, it is my vehicle of choice to drive and I HATE driving my wife's S500. The quality of the interior is definitely better than most cars, the fit and finish of the interior is good but there is no way it is comparable to a German car.
Old 02-05-08, 04:12 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

I think the first guy doesn't like Lexus and the second guy doesn't like the first guy. All in good fun no doubt.
Old 02-05-08, 05:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Would you guys stop comparing the GS to German cars that is twice the price. IMO, for the money, you simply cannot find a car that is better built.
Old 02-05-08, 07:37 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

I'll stop comparing, I actually did not want to go too much into discussion. Just gave my quick opinion. For the record, I do 90% of maintenance and fixes myself on my cars, so I do know how they put together since my germans typically require more of it. So I'll stay where I am with my opinion, I'll vote with my dollar
Old 02-05-08, 08:26 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
The GS is not for everybody, I love mine, my wife does not. If I had to choose some of the stuff I like or dislike about it...

- Effortless low end power with light to moderate throttle input. You hardly hear the engine because power comes on pretty low and smoooooth. The same engine in an ES350 is a buzzbox because it has to wind out even at light throttle input to get the same acceleration.

- Uber smooth and quiet on nice roads

- Very little wind noise

- Lots of comfort and tech features

DISLIKES

- Direct injection ticking - terrible but who cares when you're driving right?

- Cramped cabin

- Small trunk

- Not so smooth on not so nice roads

- Some cost cutting is evident - no backlighting on switchgear, no powered headrests.

- Floaty suspension that's a little too stiff (who would have thought that was possible) - BMW has sport/luxury sedan suspension tuning nailed and nobody can compete with that.

I love my car for the likes, my wife doesn't like my car because of the dislikes. It's easy to see why people can be passionate either way.
You are right on! Couldn't have said it any better. But I will add that the RL I had previous to my '07 GS350 did have more character.
Old 02-05-08, 11:09 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Please elaborate on the RL's 'character'. I'm curious to hear your opinions since I seriously looked at a 2RL before getting a 3GS. . .
Old 02-05-08, 11:11 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I test drove the RL b4 buying the GS as well. The RL does handle better, HP about the same as the GS, but the GS has a better interior and exterior.
Old 02-05-08, 11:46 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
There is no way the GS can be compared to the interior of a S class or a 7 series BMW.
You are not comparing the same car class, the GS is not aimed or even priced to compete with the S class or 7 series. Did you saw a E Class or 5 series lately ? The GS compare very favorably.

BTW, my personal experience with the GL450 was extremely bad, we had numerous rattles (3 times at the dealership for one and 2 times for another one), some failures (fog lights, audio system, auto leveling headlight system) and some annoying issues (tires loosing pressure regularly, door not closing unless banged like crazy). So bad in fact that we got rid of it around the 6k mark to get a LS460... (with extremely nice wooden panels I must said...)
Old 02-05-08, 12:48 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, lets compare the S class and the BMW 7 series to the LS, not the GS. I must admit, I do like the new S-class.

Quick Reply: AutoWeek's Point/Counterpoint on the GS460