GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

AutoWeek's Point/Counterpoint on the GS460

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 01:43 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ Please elaborate on the RL's 'character'. I'm curious to hear your opinions since I seriously looked at a 2RL before getting a 3GS. . .
The RL was more a drivers car then the GS. The car gives more feedback as you're taking curves and just driving down the highway. Personally, one of the reasons I switched from the RL was I wanted the 'projection' and 'floatiness' of the GS (the GS reminds me of a 1969 Cadillac Sedan de Ville ride w/o the noisy tires).
Old 02-05-08, 01:47 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bushwack
(...)the GS reminds me of a 1969 Cadillac Sedan de Ville ride w/o the noisy tires.
How is that a compliment ?
Old 02-05-08, 03:03 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwack
The RL was more a drivers car then the GS. The car gives more feedback as you're taking curves and just driving down the highway. Personally, one of the reasons I switched from the RL was I wanted the 'projection' and 'floatiness' of the GS (the GS reminds me of a 1969 Cadillac Sedan de Ville ride w/o the noisy tires).
Ah not a fair comparison then, should've compared the awd GS since the RL has sh-awd and would have a decided handling advantage. I found the RL to be uninspiring, more like an accord on 'roids and not a huge step up from a TL, in fact a TL-S was more engaging to me. The RL was slightly underpowered, heavy and the exterior styling seemed too vague - no 'wow' factor for me. The 4k off invoice was very tempting, as Acura could not give RLs away at invoice, much less sticker. The 1RL was rock solid and bullet proof, but the 2RL missed the mark. Hopefully Acura launches a redesigned 3RL soon, one worthy of being the brand's flagship.
Old 02-06-08, 02:05 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Would you guys stop comparing the GS to German cars that is twice the price. IMO, for the money, you simply cannot find a car that is better built.
My point exactly.
Old 02-06-08, 02:16 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timeToy
You are not comparing the same car class, the GS is not aimed or even priced to compete with the S class or 7 series. Did you saw a E Class or 5 series lately ? The GS compare very favorably.

BTW, my personal experience with the GL450 was extremely bad, we had numerous rattles (3 times at the dealership for one and 2 times for another one), some failures (fog lights, audio system, auto leveling headlight system) and some annoying issues (tires loosing pressure regularly, door not closing unless banged like crazy). So bad in fact that we got rid of it around the 6k mark to get a LS460... (with extremely nice wooden panels I must said...)
The blanket statement was made comparing Lexus to German cars. Definitely agree about car class but the E and 5 also have better build quality IMO. Not bashing Lexus as I have been posting about how much I like my GS from day 1.

It's too bad about your GL450, I have put 23k miles on mine now and have not had a single problem outside of a couple of things that I would not consider problems. At the 1st oil change they reflashed the transmission due to a rough 3-2 downshift and I had the 20" Michelin Diamaris tires replaced at 15k miles due to excessive noise. I have heard of others having trouble with the GL also so I guess I have been lucky (knocking on wood). Mine is a Premier Edition which is also called a launch edition and probably one of the 1st few off the assembly line. Maybe they had tighter QC on the initial builds.
Old 02-06-08, 05:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, thats exactly what is it, a blanket statement. There will always be owner who own good Lexus or bad ones, just like there will always be owners who have good european car as well as bad ones. It is the over all percentage of the problem free car vs the problematic cars that put Lexus on top.
Old 02-06-08, 04:19 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

There is a big difference between "problematic" and "build quality". If you are referring to problems only, then I agree with you that in general Lexus would blow away the European marques. If you are referring to "build quality" as in quality of materials and engineering, I Lexus has a long ways to go.
Old 02-06-08, 05:35 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I think in this price range, Lexus has pretty good built material. If you compare dollar to dollar, say the GS350 to a BMW 335XI. Before you say that’s not a good comparison, the BMW actually invoice out at $1500 more with the same options. As far as built material, I think the GS has better material than the 335XI and it is put together better too I think. If you mean engineering as in performance, than yes the German cars are better than Lexus but there are other Japanese cars that handles almost as good as BMW at a much cheaper price. If you mean engineering as in smoother ride, quieter cabin, parts design for reliability and low maintenance, then Lexus wins in that engineering department.
Old 02-06-08, 05:50 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Very nice. I am very excited to see what this car can do when it comes out.
Old 02-06-08, 06:21 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Uh, the GS460 has been out since October . . .
Old 02-07-08, 12:36 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timeToy
You are not comparing the same car class, the GS is not aimed or even priced to compete with the S class or 7 series. Did you saw a E Class or 5 series lately ? The GS compare very favorably.
In terms of interiors, I'd rank the E > GS >> 5 series.

Very close between the E and GS, I just feel there is too much plastic on the dash (especially on the passenger side). And maybe I'm an isolated case, but my GS rattles like crazy. I've all but given up on trying to fix them. FWIW, my wife's old '06 E350 was rattle free (as is my E63). But the Nav system on the GS is so much better than the COMAND system in the E. And the interior LED lighting on the GS is a classy touch.
Old 02-07-08, 12:57 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whlkev
of course =) but before he even started the review of the car, "I find them for the most part to be gussied-up Toyotas, with all the lack of passion, soul and fun that implies"

to say things like this just make it pointless the read the rest. There are thousands of reviews out there that offer a much rewarding point of views.
Exactly. Wow, I was a bit surprised to see the 'Exec Editor' have such a biased opinion of Lexus vehicles by making a blanket statement about them all in general, not to mention inaccurately claiming 'gussied up Toyotas' and 'Lexi.' I can understand one's evaluation of a vehicle on the merits, but when a review begins with a negative evaluation on the brand to begin with, it gives me pause. Say what one will about a car, good or bad, but a focus on the car itself would be more helpful.
Old 02-07-08, 05:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I think this is the classic good cop, bad cop scenario to make the article more interesting. The 1st editor probably doesn’t hate Lexus as much as he says he does and the 2nd was just drooling over Lexus a little too much.
Old 02-07-08, 10:46 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

having owned many bmw/MB in our family, I can say with 100% certainty that "German" cars having a better build quality is a gross overstatement.

when it comes to driving experience, german car hands down, but overall built quality? come on.

own a bmw or mb for 7-10 years, and come back and tell me the same thing.
Old 02-07-08, 10:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I had a BMW 3 series about 10 years ago, my GS is hands down better than my old BMW as far as built material and quality. I know, I know, the BMW is 10 years old. and not fair to compare the 2.
German cars are great if all you are looking for is the best performance and nothing else matters. If you are looking for a car with pretty good performance and have other priority as well as performance such as bang for the buck, good built material and quailty, good reliebility and low maintenance cost, in other words, the over all package, then Lexus wins hands down. BTW, its a sad day that American car manufacturers has not been mentioned once on this thread

Quick Reply: AutoWeek's Point/Counterpoint on the GS460