GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone Know If Any Company Is Working On Better Sway Bars For The 3gs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-08, 07:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Anyone Know If Any Company Is Working On Better Sway Bars For The 3gs

Anyone out there have any info on sway bars for the 3gs. This car has such a nice ride quality, and a larger set of sway bars would do nothing to deteriorate the ride quality. so why do they install a set of sway bars on their cars that makes the car feel like its going to roll over under very hard cornering. lexus needs to very badly start working on improving the suspension performance. The cars are prone to understeer, and the traction control is so intrusive that any roll will trigger the tcs even accelerating out of a corner from stand still. These cars above 7/10ths feel like they are designed for old women. The BMW's have equal ride quality but remain relatively flat around corners. Does anyone out there know if any of the suspension companies are making a replacement kit for the sway bars? I think with less roll the car will handle much better and will stop the stupid traction control from sticking its freakn nose in all the time. My last car was a daily driver and an occasiolnal track car so I love suspension tuning as well as engine tuning. Of all of the mods done to my last car ( and there was alot ) one of the top 3 mods I would rec is the sway bar replacment. I bought my lexus for reliability and reputaion/ name, but I intend on improving the lacking suspension. any help on this would be great

I know alot of you are going to say do coilovers, but I dont want to change ride quality. sway bars allow you to maintain the same ride quality and get less roll, it a win win situation. Trust me its one the best mods possible for the suspension, I just hope the aftermarket will show the 3gs some love. Thanks you guys
Old 02-01-08, 08:46 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm i agree, when i throttle a little bit in the middle of a turn that annoying orange light comes on and it takes like a second to recuperate. Heh, i should just try turning VSC off =P
Old 02-01-08, 10:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I have to admit that tendency to keep going off stopped when I had the staggered set up on the car. Its definetly induced by a mild slip in the rear, but damn I have never seen a car that is this intrusive in terms of the VSC. I could making an u turn and the damn thing will go off causing the temporary pause in the engine response. This can be dangerous when there is alot of traffic coming your way. This car can take corners at the same speeds as my G35, but with scary amounts of body roll
Old 02-01-08, 11:43 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously, i hate taking those quick right turns and on your left the traffic is coming and it almost looks like your car stalled or something, and THEN it goes haha =/
Old 02-02-08, 02:53 AM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

imho, sways + magically loosing some weight from the car would do wonders.
when i pushthe gs, under heavy breaking, i feel the car slide forward...iin the turns, i manage to get a bit sideways just with breaking :O
Old 02-02-08, 05:27 PM
LexFather

I doubt it, don't think the demand is there. Toms offers underbody links and braces but no sways. Maybe from "F"sport in the future, as they now offer sways for the 2IS.

Remember, Lexus like other companies has now gone electronic and offers the optional AAAS active handling sways bars, a 3k option. Offered on 2007+ GS 430/450h and now 460.
Old 02-02-08, 06:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

man I really hope so. Of all the things that I could think this car could really use, it would be a set of large sway bars. 36mm front 24-26.. rear. something agressive. I dont see the need for all the roll. The sway bars only affect hadling negatively in off road situations, and since nobody is doing 4x4 GS's I hope they come out with a set.
Old 02-02-08, 06:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Do you guys know if they make them for the 2GS. If so I think we are in luck. At least down the road
Old 02-02-08, 06:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there are a few choices for the 2gs, but they came out pretty early one in the lifespan of 2gs. so far i have seen nothing for the 3gs

24-26 for the rear. i can imagine the car will oversteer a lot. on the 2gs the rear aftermarket sways are still very thin and you could swing out the rear very easily already
Old 02-02-08, 08:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

THats the Nismo set up they use for the M35 and G35. It really works. I had it on my g35 sedan. With the staggered set up and those sway bars this car would be a different animal. I really hope they will come out with something
Old 02-02-08, 11:05 PM
LexFather

We can only hope the new "F" sport brand does something. THe GS 430s at SEMA were okay but not much suspension wise.

I am assuming the engine covers/intakes/big brakes from F-sport that fit on the IS will fit the 3GS.....
Old 02-03-08, 12:00 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Speaking as a 2GS owner, that is one weakest point in the GS is the horrible amount of sway. It's so sloppy, pretty pathetic for a so called "sports sedan".
My previa and sienna handles much better than the stock gs. Heck, my sienna feels more confident than my GS with teins cs/daizen.
I'm serious and if anyone disagrees, I'll be happy to show it to you. Must be the slippery leather and weak lateral support as opposed to the cloth seats in the sienna.

I take this turn on my way to work everyday with my cars and the sienna feels more controlled.

Enough of my ranting, and no, I'm not smoking anything
Old 02-03-08, 12:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Speaking as a 2GS owner, that is one weakest point in the GS is the horrible amount of sway. It's so sloppy, pretty pathetic for a so called "sports sedan".
My previa and sienna handles much better than the stock gs. Heck, my sienna feels more confident than my GS with teins cs/daizen.
I'm serious and if anyone disagrees, I'll be happy to show it to you. Must be the slippery leather and weak lateral support as opposed to the cloth seats in the sienna.

I take this turn on my way to work everyday with my cars and the sienna feels more controlled.

Enough of my ranting, and no, I'm not smoking anything
something must be wrong with your gs? i had a gs400 you know that, and i have driven a sienna extensively. every time i drove the sienna i swear i was going to die. that car can't handle any fast turns at all
Old 02-03-08, 01:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
something must be wrong with your gs? i had a gs400 you know that, and i have driven a sienna extensively. every time i drove the sienna i swear i was going to die. that car can't handle any fast turns at all
IMO, the 3GS drives like the 2GS with TRD sways. It is a better drive stock and IMO pretty obvious on models with AVS in sport. Steering is slightly better as well.
Old 02-03-08, 01:40 AM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a month ago I got the Tein SS and Toms strut and that was a huge help. I took the car to GMR and Streets of Willow and the handling was great feels more like a sports car, its not that harsh of a ride or I just got used to it but I can't stop taking fast turns, I also changed the tires to Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and the GS turned into something else but I tried to look for sway bars also but found nothing but try the Tein SS or CS and it helps out alot more and with the Toms braces/struts its a whole different ride for the 3GS!!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone Know If Any Company Is Working On Better Sway Bars For The 3gs