GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

07 Modded GS 350 or 06 M5

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08 | 09:24 PM
DUFF Ace
Rookie

Default 07 Modded GS 350 or 06 M5

I have an oppurtunity to purchase a nice 06 BMW M5 for an incredible price but I just got my GS350 7 months ago and have dropped a ton on cash on it to look the way I wanted it to. Now I'm not sure if I want to pursue the M5 idea or stick with the Lexus.
  • The M5 is a crap load faster but the MPG is twice as bad.
  • The Lexus is completely loaded with better bells and whistles inside than the M5.
  • The M5 is a year older with twice the amount of miles on it (25K)
  • The insurance on a V10 is twice as much
  • My car payments would go up $200+ a month

There are of course a lot of other differences but I can't get the 500 hp power out of my head.

Do you think the M5 will be dated in a couple of years? My next purchase was going to be in 2 1/2 years for a Nissan GT-R. Do I save my money and wait or jump on the oppurtunity to own a V-10?

What do you guys think?
Old 02-06-08 | 09:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

My buddy just got an M6 and he gets 12mpg. The M5 would be a p[leasure to drive. I ve had a chance to spend alot of time behind the wheel of the new M6 convertible. Its fast, but not 507hp fast. It weight almost 4200lbs. Not exactly a performance car number. I love the heads up display,sequential shifter, and the sound it makes when you get on it. I just thought it would be faster. all of the cars Ive ever driven in that power range were hardcore tuner cars (Evo's, twin turbo 350Z's, Twin turbo G35's, and a couple of corvette Z06's with 100 shot wet nitrous systems would dust it at 3200 to 3450 lbs. The M is the M though. Nothing can take it away. Its a nurburgring bomber. I think in the end I would stick with the lex and save my coin for the GTR when they get over the 15k mar up. My brother in laws wife is senior regional manager for all Nissan dealerships for the Northeast. So I can get a GTR at a good rate, but it will be 3 years. The dealerships have to train techs to work on the car and they have to buy special equipment and lifts to work on the cars. So They are going to screw anyone who buys it for a while to recoop the costs of selling such a vehicle
Old 02-06-08 | 10:02 PM
jentlemaan
Rookie

funny you should ask, Im in a very similar situation as you are..I LOVE my 3gs but the m5 seems to stick in my head...however the gtr is going to be an amazing car and will be quite tempting to trade in when it becomes available. In terms of what you would lose, (yes there are advantages in a lexus gs350 in comparison to an m5) ie: your gs has better technology in terms of navigation, the looks are so classy, and noone can compare to the smoothness of the 6 speed automatic tranny. When the GS is properly lowered, I think it actually competes with the looks of the m5. As far as power, yes the m5 is faster, but the gs350 is MORE THAN enough. However a bmw (M models) will always be different. Unless you have tons of money to blow here and there, and you absolutely cannot wait for the gtr, sure the m5 is a better car. I think your best bet is to way until the gtr comes out. But who knows, you might still love your gs. Whats my personal opinion? well you spent a lot of time and money in tricking out your car, I would keep it, enjoy it, and then wait to see what the next best thing is. I sometimes wish my gs had a couple of characteristics that my last car(bmw) had, but overall, Lexus is a truly an outstanding car. hope that helps
Old 02-06-08 | 10:23 PM
DUFF Ace
Rookie

Nice responses guys. I think I may hold out for the GT-R...my thought for tonight at least. I love my GS too much to give it up for now. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted
Old 02-06-08 | 10:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

sounds like you will have to pay a lot more for the m5. imho if you can afford it, the m5 would be my choice easily over the 350
Old 02-06-08 | 11:01 PM
Amiricanm
Rookie

M5 is an awsome car but i would not do it. My uncle has an M5 and he is already over it. You don't wana used BMW...trust me . I would wait, maybe in a couple years you can pick up the used E63 new-body (which might be TT) This way, you get the luxury you are already used to in a Lex, + A L O T more power you are NOT used to.
Old 02-06-08 | 11:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Amiricanm
M5 is an awsome car but i would not do it. My uncle has an M5 and he is already over it. You don't wana used BMW...trust me . I would wait, maybe in a couple years you can pick up the used E63 new-body (which might be TT) This way, you get the luxury you are already used to in a Lex, + A L O T more power you are NOT used to.
what's the issue with a used bmw when you still have warranty?
Old 02-07-08 | 12:23 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
sounds like you will have to pay a lot more for the m5. imho if you can afford it, the m5 would be my choice easily over the 350
I agree. The GS350 is nice, but the M5 is on another level.

If you're going to try and rationalize getting the M5, then you're better off sticking with the GS350. Of course the GS is the more practical choice. But the M5 is the emotional choice...it's an amazing car.
Old 02-07-08 | 12:24 AM
Kosmos
Rookie

mark up for the GT-R is At $30K, ridiculously high placing it in the price range of a turbo porsche...insane. I was informed on Tuesday that a performance Nismo model GT-R is in the works...... contact works for Nissan product development...hard for me to accept. back to the subject.........

you gonna get bored with the M5 - save the money for the Nismo GT-R
Old 02-07-08 | 06:44 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Unless you think the M5 is going to get you laid more then your GS, I say no
Old 02-07-08 | 07:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I would rather have a personalized GS than a stock M5.
Old 02-07-08 | 07:52 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

In my honest opinion, I agree with the guys above, the M5 is in another class, it is a fast monster of a car and trust me, it moves, but...with that said, I just bought my 08 3GS and fully plan on buying the V-Spec GT-R in 2 years as well. I like my GS for pure cruising, but the GT-R is going to destroy any and all comers.

Enjoy being one of a few with a hooked up GS instead of having a 5 series with side vents. Then get the GT-R the revolutionary performance car.
Old 02-07-08 | 08:32 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

as much as I love the GS, I'm sorry but it's hard to beat a bmw that looks like this

i'll go with the m5 in a hard beat if money is no issue.

*might not be your taste, but this is how i would mod my m5 (with bbs LMs of course)
Old 02-07-08 | 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

also, keep in mind, i am never a fan of the 5 series style, not even the m5. but comparing to the gs350 and IF you can afford the car? it's no contest to me
Old 02-07-08 | 09:24 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

even if you compare the nissan to the M5, a nissan, no matter how powerful it is and how fast it is, is still a NISSAN. enough said on that.
NO comparision, the M5 should win over any nissan ever.

Comparing the 350 and the m5.
if you can afford it, get the m5. better seats, especially if it has the comfort seats, 20 way, articulated back.

Is it smg or manual?

I have had some friends that have had to take it to the shop quite a few times with either reprogramming issues or smg problems in that specific year.

BUT then I have had some that have had NO problems and their car has been perfect for them.

Comparing both cars have no maint. issues go for the m5, no questions asked, and don't even worry about the nissan, bah.
Below are your specs for the GT-R, it's still a 2 door nissan though, remember that, even with its stunning numbers.

The wait is over.
17 Oct 2007
Undisguised 2009 Nissan GT-R photos have now become available prior to the car's official debut at the 2007 Tokyo Auto Show
Most of the specifications aren't expected to be announced until Nissan's Tokyo show press conference on October 24, but today we know that the all-wheel-drive 2009 GT-R will get a 3.8-liter twin-turbo V6 that produces 473 horsepower and 434 pound-feet of torque. It'll drive all four wheels through a rear-mounted transaxle. The only transmission will be a GR6 dual-clutch six-speed automatic.
Nissan says the GT-R will accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, finish the quarter-mile in 11.7 seconds and reach a top speed of 192 mph. Base price is expected to be less than $80,000.

#1 M5
#2 GS350
#100 Nissan

Last edited by Jace7; 02-07-08 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply: 07 Modded GS 350 or 06 M5