GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 12:50 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default GS front brakes

I just took a look at the front brakes on my GS, man those are some big brakes. Does anyone know how many pistons they have?
Old 02-07-08, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i believe 4 pistons

yes it's big, but it's funny that the pads aren't that big

i looked at my ls460l calipers (should be similar), it's big but the pads inside are much smaller
Old 02-07-08, 01:14 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, typical Lexus, it just look high performance.
Old 02-07-08, 01:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by The G Man
i wouldn't say that, that's a pretty silly comment. lexus brakes have always been pretty good. the 2gs brakes, although just 2 pistons, had the shortest brake distance for a long time. even the 3 gs brakes are quite powerful.

while i am not sure why the caliper block has to be this big, but i believe there is a reason (otherwise why not just the 2 pot setup before). maybe with the larger pads it won't be as balanced

for the record, the gs has some powerful brakes compared to a lot of other cars i have driven
Old 02-07-08, 02:25 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ the calipers are big so you can paint and put a 'Lexus' sticker on 'em
Old 02-08-08, 05:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i wouldn't say that, that's a pretty silly comment. lexus brakes have always been pretty good. the 2gs brakes, although just 2 pistons, had the shortest brake distance for a long time. even the 3 gs brakes are quite powerful.

while i am not sure why the caliper block has to be this big, but i believe there is a reason (otherwise why not just the 2 pot setup before). maybe with the larger pads it won't be as balanced

for the record, the gs has some powerful brakes compared to a lot of other cars i have driven
Have you driven an infiniti recently? They will put the lexus brakes to shame interms of modulation, response, and overall bite. When I first got my GS I had 2 close call under hard braking. In the end I just had to adjust my braking style and sensitivity. I think anyone coming over to lexus from infinti will agree strongly that these brakes still leave alot to be desired in terms of modulation and bite. Braking distances maybe similar ( 125 feet for the 3GS) but the amount of force on the pedal to stop is higher with the GS . the stopping distances deont mean as much without more aggressive modulation of the system to allow the driver the ability to stop in emergency situations without having to put your foot through the floor to stop the car . I know the reviews on the G35 back in the day would state that the brakes are to strong, but 5 years of that and you get used to the intensely strong and sensitive brakes. In 2003 when they wrote up the reviews on the G35 sedan, its stopping distance from 60 was 122 ft, the porsche turbo was 120 feet. Just gives you an idea of the infiniti's braking power. I am pretty sure in 2003 or 2002 the 2 GS was alot worse than that

Last edited by I8ABMR; 02-08-08 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-08-08, 06:45 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I dont like brakes are are too sensitive on top, a lot of Acura, Audi and VW are like that. It the same as driving a car that is too jumpy on the gas pedal, it takes too much effort to drive it smoothly. I like the feel of the GS's brakes.
Old 02-08-08, 06:46 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Have you driven an infiniti recently? They will put the lexus brakes to shame interms of modulation, response, and overall bite. When I first got my GS I had 2 close call under hard braking. In the end I just had to adjust my braking style and sensitivity. I think anyone coming over to lexus from infinti will agree strongly that these brakes still leave alot to be desired in terms of modulation and bite. Braking distances maybe similar ( 125 feet for the 3GS) but the amount of force on the pedal to stop is higher with the GS . the stopping distances deont mean as much without more aggressive modulation of the system to allow the driver the ability to stop in emergency situations without having to put your foot through the floor to stop the car . I know the reviews on the G35 back in the day would state that the brakes are to strong, but 5 years of that and you get used to the intensely strong and sensitive brakes. In 2003 when they wrote up the reviews on the G35 sedan, its stopping distance from 60 was 122 ft, the porsche turbo was 120 feet. Just gives you an idea of the infiniti's braking power. I am pretty sure in 2003 or 2002 the 2 GS was alot worse than that
Well the 2GS had stopping distances of 112ft Brembo equipped G35s had great stock brakes, outside of that, they are great and look like crap. The new G37 optional brakes on the sport are quite tasty 14.2 inchers....

Originally Posted by The G Man
The 2GS had some of the shortest distances ever tested, but were 2 caliper. The GS 350/430/450h have 4 piston up front and do very well in tests, the main drawback is odd feel with the electronic setup.

Historically, Lexus brakes have always been more than up to the task.

They do look TONS better on the 3GS than the 2GS.
Old 02-08-08, 06:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

lol, no need to tell me about brakes, i have bbk in all my cars so i know what strong brakes are.

like you said, you get used to the infiniti brakes already and when you get into the lexus, you think the brakes don't have strong enough of the initial bite.

funny enough, go over to the ls460 forum and you can read a lot of owners when they got the car, they thought the brakes are too strong and they choke themselves all the time until they get used to the brakes

so what should lexus do here? of course to me all stock brakes sux period. i always have bbk and ss line so my brakes are powerful. the bite and stopping power is far better than stock. i am used to that so every time i get into a new car i need to be more careful. but that's braking feel, either way and you can have people complaining.
Old 02-08-08, 06:49 PM
LexFather

lol, no need to tell me about brakes, i have bbk in all my cars so i know what strong brakes are.

like you said, you get used to the infiniti brakes already and when you get into the lexus, you think the brakes don't have strong enough of the initial bite.

funny enough, go over to the ls460 forum and you can read a lot of owners when they got the car, they thought the brakes are too strong and they choke themselves all the time until they get used to the brakes

so what should lexus do here? of course to me all stock brakes sux period. i always have bbk and ss line so my brakes are powerful. the bite and stopping power is far better than stock. i am used to that so every time i get into a new car i need to be more careful. but that's braking feel, either way and you can have people complaining.
Good points Henry. Also this same thing happened to Infiniti. They came with the same brakes from the track 350Z on the G35c sport and people complained left and right, they got recalled and finally just dropped.

A few people understood that is how performance brakes act many times. Most didn't buy it for that, they bought the car b/c it looks good. Those buyers won that battle and they lost the Brembo brakes.
Old 02-08-08, 06:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well the 2GS had stopping distances of 112ft Brembo equipped G35s had great stock brakes, outside of that, they are great and look like crap. The new G37 optional brakes on the sport are quite tasty 14.2 inchers....

The 2GS had some of the shortest distances ever tested, but were 2 caliper. The GS 350/430/450h have 4 piston up front and do very well in tests, the main drawback is odd feel with the electronic setup.

Historically, Lexus brakes have always been more than up to the task.

They do look TONS better on the 3GS than the 2GS.
haha mike, you just keep on revealing stuff i don't talk about yes, thinking 2gs brakes sux? mistake. i agree the brake feel is a bit mushy, with ss line it fixes most of the issue. but with one of the best braking distance for a long time? all you need is stand on it when you need to and the car will stop right the way

btw, the electronic brakes are only on 460 and 450h. the 350 has normal mechanical brakes i believe. that's why the brakes on my 350 doesn't feel as strong as the ls460l

Last edited by rominl; 02-08-08 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-08-08, 06:51 PM
LexFather

haha mike, you just keep on revealing stuff i don't talk about yes, thinking 2gs brakes sux? mistake. i agree the brake feel is a bit mushy, with ss line it fixes most of the issue. but with the best braking distance for a long time? all you need is stand on it when you need to and the car will stop right the way

btw, the electronic brakes are only on 460 and 450h. the 350 has normal mechanical brakes i believe. that's why the brakes on my 350 doesn't feel as strong as the ls460l
You are correct. Amazingly the Supra Turbo brakes (a BBK for the 2GS/1GS guys) had the shortest stopping distance at Car and Driver for over 14 years...I believe 108 feet. It wasn't until they tested the Enzo with huge 15" cermanic brakes that the Supra got beat.

Lexus and Toyota take braking very seriously.
Old 02-08-08, 06:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You are correct. Amazingly the Supra Turbo brakes (a BBK for the 2GS/1GS guys) had the shortest stopping distance at Car and Driver for over 14 years...I believe 108 feet. It wasn't until they tested the Enzo with huge 15" cermanic brakes that the Supra got beat.

Lexus and Toyota take braking very seriously.
hehe same here. in fact i probably that more importantly than power that's why bbk on all my cars for the peace of mind
Old 02-09-08, 06:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Did anybody see the foot note on the GS brochure, it said the front high friction brake pads might only last 20000 miles. Any one here have over 20000 miles on their GS yet, if so, how much pad do they have left?
Old 02-09-08, 08:26 AM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopping is not all on the brake systems... it is mainly the tires. This is why I only use summer tires because they provide much shorter stops.

Quick Reply: GS front brakes