GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How do you turn off center light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 08:47 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you turn off center light?

There is a small light which shines down onto the console, hitting where the cup holders and the shifter are. How do you turn this light off? I can see how it might handy on occasion, but I find it annoying while driving. (I am not talking about the right or left spot lights, but light right between them.)
Old 02-09-08, 09:42 PM
tjp74
Driver

Originally Posted by steverhode
There is a small light which shines down onto the console, hitting where the cup holders and the shifter are. How do you turn this light off? I can see how it might handy on occasion, but I find it annoying while driving. (I am not talking about the right or left spot lights, but light right between them.)
Hmm... interesting that you find it annoying. I love it!

You can't unless you remove the LED bulbs.
Old 02-09-08, 10:00 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes you can

drop down the console switches, and turn the instrument light to the lowest point, the center light will turn off but everything else will be very dim

every info you need is in the manual if anyone cares to read it

but why do you want it turn off? i think that's one of the nicest touch for lexus interior.
Old 02-10-08, 12:09 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whlkev
yes you can

drop down the console switches, and turn the instrument light to the lowest point, the center light will turn off but everything else will be very dim

every info you need is in the manual if anyone cares to read it

but why do you want it turn off? i think that's one of the nicest touch for lexus interior.
I knew you could do that. I could also unhook the battery. I was hoping for a way to independently control that light.

Maybe I'll get used to it. Overall, I think the interior lighting is great.

It's only that one light that bothers me and that I think should be controllable independently just like the spot lights and the other interior lighting lights are. I don't think it should be considered part of the dash lighting and controlled with the same switches.
Old 02-10-08, 10:40 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I agree w/tjp74 - pull the bulb if it bothers you THAT much. You can always put the bulb back in when you trade/sell your car. . .
Old 02-10-08, 12:25 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

you can set it how you prefer under the customization option, that lexus gives you. One for free within the first year I think.
Take advantage of the option lexus offers.
Old 02-10-08, 12:54 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heh, that light has never really bothered me, but my friends always try to turn it off, guess it bothers them =P
Old 02-10-08, 02:19 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7
you can set it how you prefer under the customization option, that lexus gives you. One for free within the first year I think.
Take advantage of the option lexus offers.
You can NOT customize this, at least according the GS Lexus Personalized Settings from the Lexus web site.

And what I would like is the ability to easily turn it on or off with a switch like I can every other light in the car. Imagine if you had a light in your living room that you couldn't turn on and off because the builder thought you would always want it on.
Old 02-10-08, 02:45 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I was told by my service tech you can turn that center light, off/on, just like you can those led's that shine on your feet while driving at night.
I do not know from experience, but that is what I was told.
It is something the dealer has to do though.
we'll see.
Old 02-10-08, 03:24 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

That light is called ambient lighting, some people pay a lot of money for that option on other cars.
Old 02-10-08, 05:14 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
That light is called ambient lighting, some people pay a lot of money for that option on other cars.

Reminds me of the movie theaters.

Some theaters keep it all black inside while the movies are showing, while others keep the overhead house lights on very low in order to facilitate people's entry and exit during the movie (AMC does this, for example). I like it all black. It's easier to see the movie. All black inside the car makes it easier to see the cars at night. Others will disagree, which is why it would be nice to have a switch in the car for the this light like we have for every other light.
Old 02-11-08, 05:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Look at fuse panel layout diagram, maybe there is a fuse you can pull for the ambient lights.
Old 02-11-08, 08:30 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this is one of the feature that it's just best to get used to it than worrying about how to fix it (of course extreme measures can fix it, pull bulb, paint bulb, pull fuse...etc)

Lexus spent a great amount of time emphasizing on their entry lighting system as well as all the ambient lights. BMW also has their signature dual orange shifter light for as long as i can remember, my friend just also told me he has those lights on his honda.

It's becoming a norm to have this type of lighting inside the car.

they do give you the ability to turn it off, just at the expense of all other lightings in the car. I already think Lexus has enough light switches in the car, adding one more just doesn't make sense.

again, in time, you will learn to live with it. Lexus can't possibly satisfy everyone.
Old 02-11-08, 08:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I think BMW was the 1st with come out with the ambient lighting idea. I like it myself, its like a bit of mood lighting Anyways, if you insist on driving in total darkness, you can alway tape with a piece of electrical tape, just kidding