GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Cracked Widshield! Aaargh!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 05:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

reggiek, did you get a OEM windshield? The 07s are suppose to be acustic glass right?
Old 02-12-08, 02:29 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
reggiek, did you get a OEM windshield? The 07s are suppose to be acustic glass right?
Naw, got aftermarket (does this count as a mod?).
It would have taken a while to get one from Toyota. My wife wasn't hearing, she wanted it fixed right away. Besides, the oem cracked, wanted aftermarket. It's got the rain sensing feature and whatever else the oem has.
Old 02-12-08, 03:10 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Do you hear any increase in interior noise. The OEM is supposed to be acoustic glass with different layers on it to keep out the noise.
Old 02-12-08, 03:18 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Do you hear any increase in interior noise. The OEM is supposed to be acoustic glass with different layers on it to keep out the noise.
My wife says the car is more quiet with the new glass.
Old 02-12-08, 05:00 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah but since she is the one that broke the original, her opinion doesn't count right? i'm kidding. My wife DOES use the visor mirror all the time. She has perfected pulling down the visor to use the mirror as soon as she gets in the car which means i can't see out that side as i'm pulling out. i still have OEM windshield but my car gets a lot noiser when i mention that to her.
Old 02-12-08, 08:42 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Its almost impossible for aftermarket windshield to be quieter, especially if the original glass was design to keep noise out. Maybe shes like my wife, I say to her, did you hear that rattle, she say what rattle.
Old 02-12-08, 10:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Its almost impossible for aftermarket windshield to be quieter, especially if the original glass was design to keep noise out. Maybe shes like my wife, I say to her, did you hear that rattle, she say what rattle.
i don't necessarily agree. why aftermarket means worse? from what i see, aftermarket could sometimes be cheaper and better
Old 02-13-08, 08:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Some after market glass are better than other, PPG and pilkington are couple of good ones, they make OEM glass for many manufactureners, As far as I know, all their aftermarket windshields are within the oem specs but they are not acoustic glass. Just like their front side window replacement is not water repellent like the oem Lexus one. I am just try to find out how much of a difference the Lexus acoustic windshield makes as far as interior noise wise.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-13-08 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-13-08, 08:42 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and isn't the OEM glass UV and Infrared tinted too?

when i had my window replaced on the bmw, I did some research and found the OE manufacturer for the BMW glass. So in essence, the aftermarket one can be just as good if not better than the OEM one (cheaper in price)

However, the logo of LEXUS or BMW in my case is extremely important for resale value, so personally I'll only get the ones from the dealer.
Old 02-13-08, 02:39 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whlkev
However, the logo of LEXUS or BMW in my case is extremely important for resale value, so personally I'll only get the ones from the dealer.
I checked and I didn't see a Lexus or Toyota logo or verbage on the oem windshield. It's on the other glass but not the windshield.
Old 02-13-08, 02:59 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I checked and I didn't see a Lexus or Toyota logo or verbage on the oem windshield. It's on the other glass but not the windshield.

That just means that the windshield was already replaced prior to you purchasing it. And yes, many times dealers will have to replace a windshield due to damage from transit from port to dealer. Although one would think a Lexus dealership would use Lexus glass. But to save the almighty dollar, they probably go the cheap route.
Old 02-13-08, 03:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

if it's oem, it has to be. it's on the lower right corner close to where the vin is displayed
Old 02-13-08, 03:06 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

^^ mine says lexus on the bottom left of the windshield.
Old 02-13-08, 06:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by whlkev
^^ mine says lexus on the bottom left of the windshield.
ooops, it's on the passenger side? somehow i remember it's right by the vin opening
Old 02-13-08, 06:30 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
ooops, it's on the passenger side? somehow i remember it's right by the vin opening
well.. i think i know what the problem is.

i am referring LEFT as driver side and not the opposite

lexus logo & vin are at the lower "DRIVER" side window

Quick Reply: Cracked Widshield! Aaargh!