GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Cracked Widshield! Aaargh!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 05:11 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Its almost impossible for aftermarket windshield to be quieter, especially if the original glass was design to keep noise out. Maybe shes like my wife, I say to her, did you hear that rattle, she say what rattle.
That statement is inaccurate. There are several aftermarket windshields that are made of , indeed, higher quality accoustical property than the Lexus OEM.

Lexus OEM glass (windshield) is great, but it isn't the best in the world.

However, there is truth in your statement to the point that some aftermarket windshield installations are of lower quality accoustically than OEM.

If the car is quieter after installation it probably has more to do with the new seals than the glass itself. Also, if it seems quieter it is at least as 'good' accoustically.

I like that law, btw. Makes alot of sense for a change.. Cracked windshields lead to impaired vision which leads to more accidents. So the Ins. companies are really just saving themselves money with that one.

I'm sure they tack it on your 'claims' but I doubt it , by itself, would cause any rate hike. Though another claim that otherwise would not have caused a hike.. combined with the previous windshield claim might cause a hike. (make sense?)

*That is speculatory*

Also, YES, I hate my girlfriend yanking the rear view mirror around like it was a 1930's lunch bell string. They aren't meant to be moved to that degree and that OFTEN, with that pressure. As everyone has said, that is what the vanity mirrors are for.

I had to laugh with the comment that your main squeeze fails to put the visor back in the upright position. (I guess that is payback for a toilet seat?)
Old 02-23-08, 05:25 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
I had to laugh with the comment that your main squeeze fails to put the visor back in the upright position. (I guess that is payback for a toilet seat?)
A very keen observation! You can always count on her getting ya back one way or the other!
Old 02-23-08, 05:59 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe powered visors on the 2009.....
Old 02-23-08, 08:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

And auto dimming mirrors on the visors too
Old 02-23-08, 10:37 AM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the 3rd Gen. GS the windshield has to be OEM, they do not make this aftermarket. It is a special glass that cuts glare and has special built in mount on glass for rear view mirror. If you take a look you can see that the mirror is not glued on , it is on a mount afixed to glass.
Originally Posted by Neofate
That statement is inaccurate. There are several aftermarket windshields that are made of , indeed, higher quality accoustical property than the Lexus OEM.

Lexus OEM glass (windshield) is great, but it isn't the best in the world.

However, there is truth in your statement to the point that some aftermarket windshield installations are of lower quality accoustically than OEM.

If the car is quieter after installation it probably has more to do with the new seals than the glass itself. Also, if it seems quieter it is at least as 'good' accoustically.

I like that law, btw. Makes alot of sense for a change.. Cracked windshields lead to impaired vision which leads to more accidents. So the Ins. companies are really just saving themselves money with that one.

I'm sure they tack it on your 'claims' but I doubt it , by itself, would cause any rate hike. Though another claim that otherwise would not have caused a hike.. combined with the previous windshield claim might cause a hike. (make sense?)

*That is speculatory*

Also, YES, I hate my girlfriend yanking the rear view mirror around like it was a 1930's lunch bell string. They aren't meant to be moved to that degree and that OFTEN, with that pressure. As everyone has said, that is what the vanity mirrors are for.

Old 02-27-08, 06:35 PM
wpscully
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak Windshield

I had two windshields stress-fracture with my SC 430 (the first perhaps a month into owning the car, the second less than two weeks after the first was replaced), and again with my GS 430. May I say I'm sick of having to do so?

I drive on smooth highway nearly all the time. There's really no excuse (to my mind, at least) for a stress fracture on a car windshield. I suspect that Lexus glass is thin (probably to save weight) and that's false economy.

All my replacement glass has been Lexus logo, although my dealers in Washington DC also seem to farm that work out to sub-contractors.