GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TSIB Pads/Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 10:51 AM
mcamson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd rather have the dust over brake squeak. Squeak would be embarrassing.
Old 02-16-09, 11:21 AM
BKE420
Lead Lap

I had the TSIB done for the dustless pads...then experienced the squeaking for 4 months. Just took mine in for new brake pads, calipers and shims. This is what I posted on 1989 Lexus' post on new brake pads:
Update...just picked up my GS frim the dealer to have my brakes fixed from squeaking. The reason per paperwork was " warped and deformed brake pad shims are causing front brakes to squeak. Also found pads had a large amount of grease on them that worked its way onto the brake pad."
Work done:

04945-22152 Shim Kit, Anti-squeak....Warranty
08887-80609 Disc Brake, Caliper....Warranty
04465-30400 Pad Kit, Disc Brake....Warranty

I heard the TSIB should be out shortly. Hope this helps
Old 02-16-09, 01:38 PM
jer08
Driver School Candidate

again what are TSIB pads??
Old 02-19-09, 04:35 PM
satone
Driver School Candidate

Just had my 08 in for 5K service. They replaced my brake pads due to dust issue. It's been a week and no brake squeak, no difference in stopping distances, and the dust is gone!! I don't have the TSIB but check with your local dealer. My understanding is that it just came out to resolve the brake dust issue on the GS and IS.
Old 03-04-09, 02:21 PM
ww50th
Driver School Candidate

Just had the new pads installed on my GS460 per TSIB #L-SB-0121-08. Is there a requirement to bed in these pads? If so is the proceedure the same as most other cars?
Old 03-04-09, 02:23 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

follow this bed in procedures

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 03-09-09, 11:17 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Hey guys..couple of question regarding the brakes for my 07GS350. My car has 28,500 miles and I hear squeaking coming from the front so I'm going to take my ride in to get the front brake pads replaced per the TSB. Couple of questions..

1) So it sounds like since the front rims only collect dust, the "high friction pads" are only placed on the front brakes and "dustless" on the rears? I wonder why that is? True?

2) How long can I expect the rear brake pads to last?

3) Is it necessary to "replace" the rotors at all. (I'm afraid Lexus might come back and say " you need the rotors replaced if you want to perform the tsb") I want to be prepared before I come in.

Appreciate your thoughts!
Old 03-10-09, 05:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I Believe all 4 pads are the same, the front have more dust cus it does nost of the work. You might want to do a serach and see what the latest TSB is for the brake squeak. I think its a shim or something.
Old 03-10-09, 05:36 AM
bloomjlexu
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Pads

Originally Posted by The G Man
I Believe all 4 pads are the same, the front have more dust cus it does nost of the work. You might want to do a serach and see what the latest TSB is for the brake squeak. I think its a shim or something.
According to the manual, the GS has high friction front brake pads. So yes, I'm sure some of the dusting is due to the fact that the car has a front bias for braking but also because they are high friction pads (in the front).
Old 03-14-09, 12:23 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Car's at the dealership getting two recalls performed as well as the brake pads replaced...will let you know how it all goes...
Old 03-17-09, 06:22 PM
sanguine
Rookie

I called my dealership to ask about the TSB for brakes. They told me if the brakes are completely worn then the TSB won't replace that (understandable). They said they would check it out free of charge so I will swing by tomorrow morning and hope for the best. I will keep you guys posted.

From what I noticed, my brakes squeak when the car is cold. I tried to get them to squeak in the middle of the day but at night it is definitnely much more noticeable. What has everyone's experience been like? Were the squeaks seldom then progressively got worse?
Old 03-18-09, 09:29 AM
sanguine
Rookie

So I took my car to the dealership this morning to get the brakes inspected. At first, the lady wanted to charge me $65 to inspect the brakes, I told her the gentlemen over the phone said the inspection would be free then she waived the cost.

They inspected the brakes and they reported no signs of damage and the pads had 30% left in the front and 60% in the rear.

Well the technician was unable to reproduce the squeaking I described. I noticed that it doesn't happen all the time but then when I drove it to work, I noticed it squeaking real bad in the parking lot! Ugh! I called up the service advisor but no luck.

I told them to check if there was a TSB available for squeaking brakes. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions? Is this something people just live with?
Old 03-18-09, 12:55 PM
killahb36
Driver School Candidate

This is not something to live with in my opinion, I picked my car up from service yesterday and it is no longer squealing. It was squealing for me about 85% of the time when i applied the brake pedal. They replaced my front pads yesterday and also installed the shim kit. So far so good...... I have a 08 gs350 awd with 10k miles on it, so all done under warranty.
Old 03-18-09, 01:10 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Killahb36, did they replace it with the low dust pads?
Old 03-18-09, 01:16 PM
sanguine
Rookie

Wow 85% is a lot. I only noticed the squealing in parking lots and as of lately it has been intermittent. Does anyone have the official TSB that I can print out and bring to the dealer. Should I file a claim with Lexus to get this resolved?

Quick Reply: TSIB Pads/Squealing