GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

TSIB Pads/Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-09, 11:00 PM
ww50th
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my pads replaced per the TSB on Mar 4th. I did the bed in proceedure as suggested by Whlkev and so far the dust generation is far less than before and there is no squeel. It seems to correct both problems.
Old 03-21-09, 06:03 PM
killahb36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
Killahb36, did they replace it with the low dust pads?
i had these two done
04945-22152 shim kit, anti squeal
04465-30410 pad kit, disc brake
i think this is consistant with what others have had done, still doing good
Old 06-23-09, 04:22 PM
sanguine
Rookie

Default squealing came back

So I had my brakes replaced a few months ago. I didn't replace it with the dustless pads as I didn't mind the extra dust. What I noticed was after I washed my car, the squealing came back! I am going try to bed-in the brakes and hopefully it will go away otherwise I will have to take it back to the dealership. What I do notice though is the squealing is getting more consistent so I shouldn't have any problems proving to the dealership what embarassment I face everytime I slow down for a light. The squealing also seems to be much louder.

This squealing only takes place when the braking is light and speed is very low (parking lot speeds). I am hoping it is just some residue from my wash that is causing the brakes but we will see
Old 06-23-09, 11:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

damn I didnt know this brake noise issue was so wide spread.
Old 06-24-09, 06:59 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had it too before but i switched out my rotors to some aftermarket powerslot ones and did the brake pads to the ebc red stuff.. no noise so far and i can stop with much more confidence.. there is a significant amount of more bite than stock.. however, its nothing like my supra bbk i had on the last gs...
Old 06-29-09, 02:02 PM
sanguine
Rookie

Originally Posted by beez43
i had it too before but i switched out my rotors to some aftermarket powerslot ones and did the brake pads to the ebc red stuff.. no noise so far and i can stop with much more confidence.. there is a significant amount of more bite than stock.. however, its nothing like my supra bbk i had on the last gs...
How much did it cost to swap it out? I may considering going that route rather than going to the dealership every several months for new pads. I tried rebedding the brakes, the squeak went away for a day then came back with a vengence and squealed everytime I stopped in stop-n-go traffic. It was so embarassing. But earlier today when I'm driving I don't hear anything, WTH!! So I'm hoping one day I can get it squeaking then run to the dealership and prove it, otherwise they think I'm crazy and making stuff up. This is becoming a headache, I don't mind the suttle rattles in the dash, but brakes squealing is so terrible.
Old 06-29-09, 02:09 PM
beez43
Pole Position

well too bad youre all the way out in the west coast friend.. i envy you however... i actually did both sides myself.. each side takes only about 15-20 minutes at most.. pretty easy mod and um.. how did you rebed the brakes? or the pads? i would replace your rotors and pads if you were near me but unfortunately thats not the case.. im sure if you buy the parts, ~300 bucks or so for rotors and pads, then a shop shouldnt charge you more than a 100.. since itll only take less than an hour or so..
Old 07-01-09, 01:16 PM
sanguine
Rookie

I followed a bed-in procedure from a link I found from this site. It consist of braking hard from 60mph to 10 mph about 8 times to smooth out the brake pads. Funny thing is, the day after I did it, I didn't hear squealing, the second day, I heard lots of squealing. The past two days, I haven't heard it squeal at all. I'm not sure what is causing the squeal because it is truly random. It happens during the day/night, hot/cold. I'm hoping it fixed itself but I doubt it. My goal is to make the squealing consistent so the dealer will have to resolve it. Until then, I will just look crazy not being able to produce the sound at the dealership. Since it is under warranty I want the dealership to take care of it. After I wore out my brakes, I will look seriously into aftermarket parts.
Old 07-01-09, 01:36 PM
beez43
Pole Position

wow i must be an idiot because i did not know anything about a bedding in process... wish i would have done that.. but im sure its good now.. no squeals and its already been 2 weeks!!!
Old 07-19-09, 03:47 PM
sanguine
Rookie

The squeals still exist, I am hoping it is consistent so I can take it back to the dealership to have it checked out. I checked online for several reasons and solutions for the squealing. One suggested I spray some brake lubricant to prevent the squealing but I feel that it shouldn't squeal to begin with. I've tried braking hard several times to burn off the film but that seems like only a temporary fix.
Old 07-19-09, 03:58 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TSIB brake pad start to wear down they will start to squeals after about 6 months. That what happened to mine.
Old 07-19-09, 04:15 PM
sanguine
Rookie

Are you just waiting to change yours out? I don't know how to live with it, it is so embarassing. It produces an ear screeching sound, it isn't subtle, it turns heads everytime I put the car to a complete stop.
Old 07-26-09, 01:30 PM
sanguine
Rookie

So I took my car to the dealership Saturday morning. I got a call from the advisor stating that they could not reproduce the squealing (which I could not believe since it was happening almost all the time). So I went and picked up the car and tried to get the brakes to squeal and I couldn't. I left the dealership frustrated but at the same time optimistic that possibly the squealing fixed itself. As soon as I drove into my parking lot, it started to act up again. Determined, I drove back to the dealership and made it squeal extremely loud several times around the dealership. They ended up replacing my pads yet again, this time w/ the dustless pads. If the outcome is going to be similar with other members on the board, it sounds like I will have to take it back a few months for another set. Does anyone know much about the lemon law? If they replace the pads 3 times and it stilll isn't fixed, isn't it a lemon? Well, officially with Lexus, this will be my first set of pads, even though technically it is my second. I guess I can brake with confidence until I hear the noise again.
Old 07-26-09, 11:03 PM
vladbph
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jwin
The TSIB brake pad start to wear down they will start to squeals after about 6 months. That what happened to mine.
So true.... for few month I was happy and now it started again
Old 07-27-09, 10:17 AM
BKE420
Lead Lap

don't know if this has ever been posted...but this is what i'm experiencing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca-UmSsIaM0

that's why i'm pursuing aftermarket pads.