GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield creaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 05:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

That dealer list is nice, but I am not driving 500 miles to get a rattle fix
Old 02-14-08, 07:15 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
That dealer list is nice, but I am not driving 500 miles to get a rattle fix
That was NOT the idea! - If your dealer is unable to fix the creaking, giving him a list of dealerships that he can call, may help him get it fixed correctly!
Old 02-14-08, 07:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I will book mark that page.
Old 02-14-08, 09:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, its 40 deg F today, and the car is as quiet as a chruch mouse. I am starting to pull out what little hair I have And the brakes stop squeaking too lol.
Old 02-14-08, 11:40 AM
rozGS430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

okay...got my GS back this afternoon and it is quiet so far. they only put 7 miles on it this time as opposed to the 72 miles they put on last time they had it. so far so good. it's like 37 here today, so we will see tonight and after that. if it creeks, back it goes for a fourth time. i have read on here that three times seems to be the magic number, so i am keeping my fingers crossed. they also said my check system light was because of a code in the history of the computer and they tried to say i must not have tighened the gas cap one time. They said the TMPS light was on because i hit the switch into secondard mode. i didn't even know there was a switch let alone where it was. i read the manual and i still don't understand the button for the TPMS. oh well. at least it is quiet for now. good luck to everyone.
Old 02-14-08, 11:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

rozGS430, so what exactly did they do this time to fix the problem.
Old 02-19-08, 05:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Just drop off my car at the dealer, and got a 07 GS loaner. Dealer tells me there is no TSB for the brake pads for the 08. We will see what they find with the creaking noise. On a side note, the 07 loaner was much worst than my car as far as rattles are concerned. It was rattling from the windshield, center vent, upper dash and the driver door. I hope my car wouldnt be like that after 1 year. Is this what I can look forward to
Old 02-19-08, 11:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Just got back from the dealer. The tech took the GS out this morning and found no creaking and no squeaking brakes. Went for a test drive with the tech at lunch time, no creaking and no squeaking brakes, grrrr. The Tech did tell me the 08 pads have a different part number then the 07 pads and 07 TSB pads.
Old 02-19-08, 03:17 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Just got back from the dealer. The tech took the GS out this morning and found no creaking and no squeaking brakes. Went for a test drive with the tech at lunch time, no creaking and no squeaking brakes, grrrr. The Tech did tell me the 08 pads have a different part number then the 07 pads and 07 TSB pads.
Yup, pretty much figured that. Your car will quiet down in a month or so with the warm weather. Then early next winter when it has about 15K miles on it and the temps drop to the lower 20's, it will creak like an old sailing ship. Then you can take it to the dealer to have the problem remedied.
Old 02-20-08, 10:23 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Thats my plan, wait till next winter. I am spending way too much time at my Lexus dealer.
Old 02-21-08, 03:51 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, today the temp drop down to 20 F today and the GS is back at the dealer for the dash creak. My GS has spend more time at the dealer than on the road, I thought those days were behind me when I sold my BMW. I thought I bought a Lexus so I dont have to go thru this crap My dealer was very nice, they took the car right away after the tech heard the creak on our test drive.
On a side note, I got a brand new RX350 as a loaner and the 08 is actually pretty nice. I think I like the RX better than my GS with all its problems. Its a shame that the GS is such a nice car without the creaking dash and the squeaking brakes. I will keep you guys updated.
Old 02-22-08, 12:14 PM
DaskalM
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone,

I own a GS450h since June 2007 (bought it brand new) and I live in Athens, Greece. Temperatures are in the range of 10 to 40Celcius. I drive the car fast, and I have about 6,000Km so far on the meter. Following a long journey with some fast driving (found out that the car reaches 280Km/h) I also noted a squeaking noise from the sunroof. This noise does not go away, but, for a strange reason, when the weather goes around 5-10 Celcius I can hear noise from the front windshield too! The day I first noted this was a stormy day for its greatest part and I also feel that humidity plays a part too.

I am an Engineer, and I can thus visualise the noise with respect to the "structural rigidity" of the GS chassis. When wheels start moving up/down with respect to one another (i.e. the car goes over a single-sided bump) it seems that the weight of the car overpowers the chassis rigidity and the chassis...just bends. This bending (which is expected and easily calculated - in all man-made structures, including concrete) is evidently so much that it cannot be handled by the soft materials that bond the windshield and the sunroof to the chassis.

I haven't visited the local dealer yet. Probably I won't do so, for this reason anyway. I believe that, with time, the soft materials will gradually warp into proper position and, with time, will become resistent to humidity so the noise may just go way...

Won't it?

btw, the brakes in mine are just fine, and I have been pressing them quite a lot!

P.S. I do hope that my poor English is understandable...

Last edited by DaskalM; 02-22-08 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-22-08, 05:54 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

DaskaIM, There are a few problems that can cause the creaking in the dashboard and the windshield area and the glue that holds the windshield is not one of them. Your problem sounds like mine. It will make a creaking noise when taking sharp turns onto a ramp on my driveway. When unibody twist the fastener for the dashboard is making the creaking noise I believe. Some owners have reported that once the dealer padded these fasteners, the creaking went away. My dealer is taking my dashboard apart as we speak. Its almost a shame to take apart the dashboard on a brand new car with only 900 miles
Old 02-23-08, 11:56 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

DaskaIM, There are a few problems that can cause the creaking in the dashboard and the windshield area and the glue that holds the windshield is not one of them. Your problem sounds like mine. It will make a creaking noise when taking sharp turns onto a ramp on my driveway. When unibody twist the fastener for the dashboard is making the creaking noise I believe. Some owners have reported that once the dealer padded these fasteners, the creaking went away. My dealer is taking my dashboard apart as we speak. Its almost a shame to take apart the dashboard on a brand new car with only 900 miles
Mine also creaked when taking turns, even on very smooth road! - It is fixed now.

What is really a shame is that Lexus has known of this problem since 2006, yet they are still turning out cars with the problem. Also this is not rocket science, cars had windshields and dashes back in the 1930's.

Very, Very un-Lexus Like!
Old 02-23-08, 05:30 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I am very disapointed in Lexus as well, what ever happened to the pursuit of perfection. They know there is a problem with a design and they know how to fix it, why didnt they just incorperated it into the production line. 20 years ago, when Lexus were still climbing the ladder, they would have been all over this problem. Now that they are the king of the hill, they are just not trying as hard.

Quick Reply: Windshield creaking