GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2009 Lexus announced - one model so far

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 10:35 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard the new 4GS is to be released in 2011 as a 2012, but then again, the 2009 RX was supposed to be the new style. Moolman is right, the market dictates when the new style comes out, as it is pointless to retool the factory if the current model is still selling.

As for a Crooked H Genesis competing with the Lexus, who, now be honest, would trade in their Lexus for a Hyundai, no matter the specs, features, etc?

The world would assume you lost your job, not that you went with another theoretically better product. And for the record, I think it is a nice car, but I am sure everyone here bought the GS for the package deal and the L shaped Bow on the front and rear makes a BIG diffrence!
Old 02-15-08, 10:40 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sirCharles
well, these are not Hyundai's of old.
as I am sure you've heard. Over the next 5 years, Hyundai will be very well respected in the market, perhaps better than Honda.

my next car is Hybrid either way.
yes, i am very well informed in the market stance for Hyundai, my friend who is currently at Pasadena art center college of design where tons of famous designs like Pininfarian Ferrari/carrera GT come out of.

He is stating that Hyundai will top as one of the fastest growing auto maker and the amount of money they've poured in on designs of the car is staggering.

but still.. a Hyundai is a Hyundai.
Old 02-15-08, 10:47 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirCharles
well, these are not Hyundai's of old.
as I am sure you've heard. Over the next 5 years, Hyundai will be very well respected in the market, perhaps better than Honda.
LOL - someone here is a stock holder of Hyundai motors.

If you want to drink this Kool aid, be my guest. Hyundai & Kia will always be a niche vehicle and nothing more. They should be concerned with China or India producing low priced 'disposable' vehicles that take away their market share. I'm sure that Toyota & Honda have nothing to fear from Hyundai, but Detroit may be a different story...
Old 02-15-08, 11:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Hyundai still have a long way to go. Toyota put more money into R&D than what Hyundai made in total profit last year. IMO, Hyundai needs to start a luxury division in order for poeple to take them seriously.
Old 02-15-08, 11:31 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
LOL - someone here is a stock holder of Hyundai motors.

If you want to drink this Kool aid, be my guest. Hyundai & Kia will always be a niche vehicle and nothing more. They should be concerned with China or India producing low priced 'disposable' vehicles that take away their market share. I'm sure that Toyota & Honda have nothing to fear from Hyundai, but Detroit may be a different story...
Your comments about Hyundai and Kia are the same things said about Toyota and Honda 30 years ago when they first came to the states. Hyundai would be foolish to go back to cheap vehicles, they can't compete anymore on the price. And how many people 30 years ago said they would never be caught driving a Toyota.
Old 02-15-08, 11:34 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
Hyundai still have a long way to go. Toyota put more money into R&D than what Hyundai made in total profit last year. IMO, Hyundai needs to start a luxury division in order for poeple to take them seriously.
Hyundai has a luxury division called Equus, sold only in Korea. Give them another 10 years for it to come to the states, right now they probably plan on selling better cars like the Genesis as a Hyundai, after awhile people eventually think more highly of Hyundai and forget the crappy stuff in the beginning, just like Toyota and Honda. And Bam.. they open up a couple of Equus dealerships.
Old 02-15-08, 11:59 AM
LexFather

The Hyundai Genesis seems to be incredible, 6 speed, RWD, 380+ HP from a V-8. It also looks great inside and out.
Lets see here
Acura has none of the above
It outpowers and has a better tranny than any Infiniti
It outpowers Lincoln
It outpowers Volvo
It outpowers the GS 460/ES/IS
It outpowers the 550

I can't wait to drive it honestly....

Last edited by LexFather; 02-15-08 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-15-08, 12:07 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

It is not to say that the Hyundai Genesis is not a nice car, I agree that it is a techno marvel in several aspects, but in my field and in the world, Brand recongition is what I protect and fight for and unfortunately, the Hyundai brand is not there yet, and nobody has heard of Equus.

Agreed that time will tell, but currently, at least for the next 5-10 years. There are plenty of people who will pass over the Genesis or other Hyundai lines because of the company.

Point in Case, the Nissan GT-R, I cannot wait to drive/maybe buy one, but I will show you just as many people who could care less and that is with the cult following the Skyline name carries. And Nissan has been around for decades.

The Pontiac GTO, fastest car under 30K you could buy, now discontinued because nobody cared for the Pontiac, although styling was also not my preference.

For that matter, the Hyundai Azera, faster than a 528, more room than a 750, and priced like an accord, but sales are below what Hyundai expected.
Old 02-15-08, 12:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mbenz528i
It is not to say that the Hyundai Genesis is not a nice car, I agree that it is a techno marvel in several aspects, but in my field and in the world, Brand recongition is what I protect and fight for and unfortunately, the Hyundai brand is not there yet, and nobody has heard of Equus.

Agreed that time will tell, but currently, at least for the next 5-10 years. There are plenty of people who will pass over the Genesis or other Hyundai lines because of the company.

Point in Case, the Nissan GT-R, I cannot wait to drive/maybe buy one, but I will show you just as many people who could care less and that is with the cult following the Skyline name carries. And Nissan has been around for decades.

The Pontiac GTO, fastest car under 30K you could buy, now discontinued because nobody cared for the Pontiac, although styling was also not my preference.

For that matter, the Hyundai Azera, faster than a 528, more room than a 750, and priced like an accord, but sales are below what Hyundai expected.
Oh sir, we agree 100%. Hell some luxury brands have this big issue. Lexus even has some still with those that still see it only as a fancy "Toyota".

Great post.
Old 02-15-08, 12:22 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

There is more to a car than just numbers. Lexus spends millions on its name, just the dealership experience alone is worth buying a Lexus for. I been to a couple of Hyundai dealers in my area and they are no better than my local Ford dealer.
Old 02-15-08, 12:56 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

In my opinion, i dont go by the name but the product.. if its a nice product and works ill buy it. the genesis is going to be an incredible car and for the price its unbeatable. my .02

a pic of comparison....it honestly looks like it can compete with big rollers

and the genesis

\

in my opinion the gensis sorta resembles the M35/45 from infiniti

yall be the judge
Old 02-15-08, 02:11 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

SRGS300, so when are trading in your GS for the genesis Right, you wont, thats my point.
Old 02-15-08, 02:17 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

i wont trade it in but i would buy it as a secondary car
Old 02-15-08, 02:31 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
Sounds similar to what the Germans were saying about Lexus back in the '80s.
Old 02-15-08, 03:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Sounds similar to what the Germans were saying about Lexus back in the '80s.
amen to that...

Quick Reply: 2009 Lexus announced - one model so far