GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2009 Lexus announced - one model so far

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-08, 05:22 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SRGS300
i wont trade it in but i would buy it as a secondary car
yeah right, everyone needs a beater car to drive around
Old 02-15-08, 05:29 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the M35/45 from infiniti

yall be the judge

I absolutely hate the massive amounts of chrome on the front grill.

To me it looks like a toaster is attacking.
Old 02-15-08, 08:57 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a feeling that the m50 successor for (m35/45) will kick gs460's ***
Old 02-15-08, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
i have a feeling that the m50 successor for (m35/45) will kick gs460's ***
it's ok, slightly tweak and there will be 380hp, lol
Old 02-16-08, 05:52 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whlkev
but still.. a Hyundai is a Hyundai.
And a Lexus is a Toyota right?
Old 02-16-08, 05:55 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Uh, I don't see much resemblance to the GS nor the M45 front end, nor do I think they wanted to go after that. This might look more familiar....

Old 02-16-08, 06:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The Hyundai Genesis's front end is a pretty dead on copy of the LS. Its good to see that Lexus is still setting the standard that everyone else is trying to copy.
Old 02-16-08, 08:08 AM
jawnly211
Driver School Candidate

moolman......i take it you are korean and love water???????

anyways, the hyundai's in korea are pretty crazy right now

if the genesis is "beginning" to chage your mind about hyundai.........pun intended

then you will be impressed with the new tiburon coming out in a couple years

i dont think anyone here is trying to say hyundai will be up there with the infiniti's, lexus', and acura's overnight.........but they are slowly evolving out of their "hatchback" and "economy" mold
Old 02-16-08, 12:04 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doug_999
And a Lexus is a Toyota right?
Talk about denial, TMC is poised to become the largest auto maker in the world. Whether its badge says Toyota/Scion/Lexus, you can't deny it is the 800lb gorilla in the auto industry, toppling the once invincible GM regime...
Old 02-16-08, 12:53 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
Talk about denial, TMC is poised to become the largest auto maker in the world. Whether its badge says Toyota/Scion/Lexus, you can't deny it is the 800lb gorilla in the auto industry, toppling the once invincible GM regime...
Uh, so what?

My comment was tongue an cheek reply to whlkev's comment "but still.. a Hyundai is a Hyundai." but I think you missed that.

and last I looked, GM still outsold your 800lb gorilla.... but hey, I can see you are rooting for them to collapse as any proud American would do....
Old 02-16-08, 12:58 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I for one would love to see GM stay on top, but they need to improve their product line. I am not going to buy a American car just to support the American auto industry even if their product is sub par.
Old 02-16-08, 01:00 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
I for one would love to see GM stay on top, but they need to improve their product line. I am not going to buy a American car just to support the American auto industry even if their product is sub par.
I personally think they are doing just that. Is it perfect? Nowhere close. Is it better than it was before? Oh my yes.

On the other hand, it almost seems like Toyota does not want that sales crown. One look inside the new Sequoia or the new Land Cruiser tells you that the interior designers that GM fired have been hired by Toyota.
Old 02-16-08, 03:39 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Well, when GM was pushing out junks in the 90s and counting on Americans to buy their product because it’s the patriotic thing to do, they had nothing to worry about. Now that their back is against the wall, how many Billions did GM lost last year, they are now just starting to put some average products on the market. GM have a few new cars out there that are pretty good, but the rest of the lineup need alot of work. Toyota's CEO said some years ago, it is not their intention to aim for #1 in the world, it is not good public relation as far as the US market is concerned. Unfortunately, GM dug themself in such a big hole that Toyota just keep move forward and by next year, they should pass GM.

Last edited by The G Man; 02-16-08 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-16-08, 04:07 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jawnly211
moolman......i take it you are korean and love water???????

anyways, the hyundai's in korea are pretty crazy right now

if the genesis is "beginning" to chage your mind about hyundai.........pun intended

then you will be impressed with the new tiburon coming out in a couple years

i dont think anyone here is trying to say hyundai will be up there with the infiniti's, lexus', and acura's overnight.........but they are slowly evolving out of their "hatchback" and "economy" mold
yeah. I'm an American of Korean decent.

I'm not saying I would buy a Hyundai anytime soon but I was just amused that the comments about Hyundai from Lexus drivers were the same things said about Toyota, Honda and Lexus when they first came to the US and started improving quality. I agree that Hyundai is not trying to become Lexus, Infiniti or Acura. I would guess that their plan to become a luxury brand without the luxury label. So they will be selling luxury quality cars without the price, it could work in the long run. Alot of those reviews for the Veracruz compared it to the RX350 and a much cheaper price. I'm sure those that look for the badge in front of their cars will never consider it but there are plenty of people out there that will, it'll be Hyundai's new niche since the Chinese are gonna go for the cheap cars now.

I don't think the quality of Hyundai's in Korea are that great. They are 2nd standard cars sold in Korea. The 1st standards are sold to the US since the US requires all the fancy stafty equipment and stronger steels, hence the longer warranty in the US.

I don't think many people realize this but car companies have different levels of quality standards for their cars depending on the country that it is sold. For example, Toyota is very popular brand in Thailand but those Toyotas made in Thailand or imported there are not the same standards and material that the US gets. If that was the case, Toyota would be unaffordable to more people. Those cars don't require the harder steels and air bags, etc that US cars do because their laws don't require it and they also don't have to worry about a Suburban blindsiding them.
Old 02-16-08, 07:39 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I dont think its fair to compare Hyundai of today to Toyota in the 60s When Toyota was trying to break into the US market in the 1960s. Toyota had a much tougher time trying to break into the US market because it was right at the end of the Vietnam war era, there was still a lot of anti Asian sentiments in the US. Toyota didn’t make a mark until the oil crisis of the 70s, even then, the US government try to stop their advance in the US market share. GM and Ford did not know how to make a fuel efficient car, so that left the market wide open for the Japanese imports.
Hyundai is entering into a much different US market today. One where global economy is accepted. Hyundai is entering into a US market where buyers already have a good perception of Asian imported cars, thanks to Toyota. In a way, you can say that Hyundai is benefiting from the struggle Toyota had when they try to break into the US market in the 60s.

Quick Reply: 2009 Lexus announced - one model so far