GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2009 Lexus announced - one model so far

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 05:06 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I dont think its fair to compare Hyundai of today to Toyota in the 60s When Toyota was trying to break into the US market in the 1960s. Toyota had a much tougher time trying to break into the US market because it was right at the end of the Vietnam war era, there was still a lot of anti Asian sentiments in the US. Toyota didn’t make a mark until the oil crisis of the 70s, even then, the US government try to stop their advance in the US market share. GM and Ford did not know how to make a fuel efficient car, so that left the market wide open for the Japanese imports.
Hyundai is entering into a much different US market today. One where global economy is accepted. Hyundai is entering into a US market where buyers already have a good perception of Asian imported cars, thanks to Toyota. In a way, you can say that Hyundai is benefiting from the struggle Toyota had when they try to break into the US market in the 60s.

i couldnt have said it better myself
Old 02-23-08, 01:16 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Well, when GM was pushing out junks in the 90s and counting on Americans to buy their product because it’s the patriotic thing to do, they had nothing to worry about. Now that their back is against the wall, how many Billions did GM lost last year, they are now just starting to put some average products on the market. GM have a few new cars out there that are pretty good, but the rest of the lineup need alot of work. Toyota's CEO said some years ago, it is not their intention to aim for #1 in the world, it is not good public relation as far as the US market is concerned. Unfortunately, GM dug themself in such a big hole that Toyota just keep move forward and by next year, they should pass GM.
Actually I think that many of the new GM products are above average and as pointed out, some of the new Toyota products are just average if that (take a gander at the new Sequoia's interior).
Old 02-23-08, 05:21 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Like I said, just recently did GM start to improve, thats because they had to, they been losing their pants for years. About 10 years ago, GM new CEO made a commitment to improve the interior quality of all GM vehicles. Before that, their interior were some of the worst in the market. GM have a few cars and trucks thats above average now, but most of the Toyota and Lexus lineup is above average.
Old 02-29-08, 05:26 PM
vandit23
Driver

Hyundai.....FTW!!!

It makes me wonder why Hyundai can produce cars that are comparable in every aspect to more established makers, but at a fraction of the price...Why is Lexus so friggin expensive while their cars have gotten worse over time. I may be bitter because my $50K+ GS turned out to be a rattle box, but I expect a car of that price to be better made, and hope that that is what I am paying for. This is quite possibly my first and last Lexus I buy.
The Genesis is what I am going to be my next car for everyday use. Now that I have had my "Lexus" experience, I can say that it really doesn't differ all that much from any other car experience.

This is just my $.02 and a bit of a rant...

Last edited by vandit23; 02-29-08 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Wanted to add moretext
Old 02-29-08, 06:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by vandit23
Hyundai.....FTW!!!

It makes me wonder why Hyundai can produce cars that are comparable in every aspect to more established makers, but at a fraction of the price...Why is Lexus so friggin expensive while their cars have gotten worse over time. I may be bitter because my $50K+ GS turned out to be a rattle box, but I expect a car of that price to be better made, and hope that that is what I am paying for. This is quite possibly my first and last Lexus I buy.
The Genesis is what I am going to be my next car for everyday use. Now that I have had my "Lexus" experience, I can say that it really doesn't differ all that much from any other car experience.

couple of comments. first of all, on paper i think the genesis looks pretty strong, can't wait to see it in person. but

1) you look at a car on paper and drawing conclusions already? that sounds a bit too early, isn't it?
2) expensive? want to price a similarly loaded e350 or 535? price is relative, when lexus came out people asked how come lexus can build a car this good and being much less as well.

hyundai is trying to enter the market, they price the car lower for less margin is understandable. we will see if they can succeed. but that's a very good start
Old 02-29-08, 06:58 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by vandit23
Hyundai.....FTW!!!
First of all, no one knows if the Genesis will be as much a rattle box as the the GS or even worst. My last BMW which was a 3 series 10 years ago was a much worst rattle box than my current Lexus GS. What the big difference for me was that the Lexus dealer is willing to try to fix the problem with a smile, while the BMW dealer just look at me like I have 2 heads and make comments like " its a car, it suppose to have rattles after a while"
Hyundai may be able to make a car that has the same features as a Lexus at a lower price on paper, believe me when I say, its not the same car quality wise.
I remember a while ago when Hyundai introduced the new Sonata. The Commerial said it has as much interior space as the BMW 7 series and when equiped with the same options, its half the price of a BMW 7 series. Does any one on this forum really believe a Hyundai is comparable to a BMW 7 series.
BMWs and Lexus have become the benchmark for manufacturers such as Hyundai to follow. That is saying something for Lexus when other auto manufacturers are aiming be to just like them.
Remember, it is a lot easier to follow than to lead.
Old 02-29-08, 09:35 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I think this is a Pepple Beach edition, I think those rims looks pretty good like the one that are on the new BMW X5