GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

SHOULD i BE ABLE TO CHANGE TRACKS FROM THE STEERING WHEEL WITH AN IPOD ADAPTER

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 09:02 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are quite a few threads about nav override that give detail instructions about how to pull the head unit.
Old 03-27-08, 03:14 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jenadamson
The iPod interface I'm talking about (but have yet to actually see) is one that you can have installed by a Lexus dealer for about $300. I don't know if you can order your car with it or not, but it is not standard equipment and I've only seen it offered as an after delivery option,.... It is also NOT the standard headphone-plug type MP3 connection that is in the armrest compartment. It is something that is mounted in the glove compartment that you connect your iPod to and it also charges it while connected. Which is why I'm concerned about whether or not you can use the touchscreen to search/change songs etc while you're moving because otherwise what good is it to be stuck with whatever you started out playing that day because you're iPod is connected in the glove compartment?! Right now, I use the direct plug in and then I can use my iPod as usual (or my 6 yr old son uses it in the back seat - I got an adapter with a long cord) but you can't see any info on your car screen, have to peer at iPod while driving.
Did it cost $300 just for labor without the unit and how long did it take to install it ? Did you have to make an appointment or had to order unit ahead of time ?
Old 03-27-08, 03:37 PM
phokus
Driver School Candidate

As an addition to my previous post, here are some links to a few places that have the i47 adapter for sale. The Vais Tech one should be easy to find, just search google or ebay, as the company that sells them has an ebay store.

$199 - http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa3/i47ipodadapter.htm
$219 - https://www.longoparts.com/product_i...roducts_id=936

I don't know the reliability of either of these retailers.

Also, I was told by my local Lexus dealer that installation would cost 395$, and that included the part. I cannot answer the other parts of the question, except that they said it could not be done before we took our car home. We bought our car at lunch, then came back and picked it up after work. I don't know if that is due to time or to them having to order the part.

Last edited by phokus; 03-27-08 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Wanted to address the question from above
Old 03-27-08, 07:17 PM
jenadamson
Driver

Originally Posted by bokmeipai
Did it cost $300 just for labor without the unit and how long did it take to install it ? Did you have to make an appointment or had to order unit ahead of time ?
I haven't had it put it in, still debating. Am currently OK with just using MP3 AUX plug. I have this cover thing on my iPod that totally protects it, but is a pain to put on/take off so am not sure the whole glove compartment thing is going to work,... The price I was quoted was $299 (+ tax) installed. So that would put it a bit over 300. If I were to do it, I would make sure they had it in stock and set up an appt time for it.
Old 03-30-08, 05:48 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jenadamson
I haven't had it put it in, still debating. Am currently OK with just using MP3 AUX plug. I have this cover thing on my iPod that totally protects it, but is a pain to put on/take off so am not sure the whole glove compartment thing is going to work,... The price I was quoted was $299 (+ tax) installed. So that would put it a bit over 300. If I were to do it, I would make sure they had it in stock and set up an appt time for it.
does anyone know msrp for this part ? My local dealer quote me $308 just for part. I am still waiting for rep. to call me back with labor cost.
Old 03-30-08, 07:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I spoke to my lexus service advisor and told him that I want to switch my adapter to the lexus kit ( the one I assumed I was gettinr) and he said the manager will probably ok it. Even if they charged my labor again I would pay it to finally be able to control the tracks from the steering wheel
Old 03-31-08, 02:57 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phokus
As an addition to my previous post, here are some links to a few places that have the i47 adapter for sale. The Vais Tech one should be easy to find, just search google or ebay, as the company that sells them has an ebay store.

$199 - http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa3/i47ipodadapter.htm
$219 - https://www.longoparts.com/product_i...roducts_id=936

I don't know the reliability of either of these retailers.

Also, I was told by my local Lexus dealer that installation would cost 395$, and that included the part. I cannot answer the other parts of the question, except that they said it could not be done before we took our car home. We bought our car at lunch, then came back and picked it up after work. I don't know if that is due to time or to them having to order the part.
Just ordered my Ipod Interface from Lexus and have appointment to install on 4/11/08 ( earliest date that i can gett a loaner car). Part was $253 and labor $200 compared to another Lexus dealer that wanted to rip me off for $750 for same job. Word of advice, if you plan to do it check around different dealers for prices first before going for it.
Old 04-11-08, 03:24 PM
phokus
Driver School Candidate

Let me know how it works out for you. I may go back and have them install that piece, since the cost for them to do is pretty close to the cost/time for me to.

As for the Sirius install, I will probably end up doing that myself, as I have done it one three other vehicles at this point. The one thing that may prevent me from doing the entire thing is the antenna. I read somewhere that you can use the sharkfin antenna for the siruis radio. If true, I would want to use one of this, since they look quite a bit "cooler" than the little square magnet provided by sirius.
Old 04-14-08, 05:05 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by phokus
Let me know how it works out for you. I may go back and have them install that piece, since the cost for them to do is pretty close to the cost/time for me to.

As for the Sirius install, I will probably end up doing that myself, as I have done it one three other vehicles at this point. The one thing that may prevent me from doing the entire thing is the antenna. I read somewhere that you can use the sharkfin antenna for the siruis radio. If true, I would want to use one of this, since they look quite a bit "cooler" than the little square magnet provided by sirius.
well just got my car back with factory install Ipod interface. It's made by Alpine a big name in car stereo equiptment. Works with touch screen, tune and volume ***** and even steering wheel controls. It all works seemless and a very professional install. Overall I am happy and now have endless music !
Old 04-16-08, 05:05 PM
PHX_Rises
Driver School Candidate

BOKIMEIPAI, Glad to hear it...I am getting the same thing on mine. Quick questions for you...

Do you have satellite radio as well?
When controlling your ipod, can you find tracks by artist/album or do you have to put everything in playlists?

Thanks-