GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

SHOULD i BE ABLE TO CHANGE TRACKS FROM THE STEERING WHEEL WITH AN IPOD ADAPTER

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 09:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default SHOULD i BE ABLE TO CHANGE TRACKS FROM THE STEERING WHEEL WITH AN IPOD ADAPTER

I just got an ipod adapter installed at the dealership and I cant advance tracks from the wheel. My service rep said he will ask the tech but it may be that way. I am thinking that it is a poor connection or a prob with the unit itself. What do you guys think?
Old 02-19-08, 10:57 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can with the VaisTech adapter, I do not know with the Lexus one.
Old 02-20-08, 05:32 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who made the adaptor you had installed by the dealer??? I waiting to hear if the Lexus Ipod adaptor is out yet and if anyone has it installed. Also looking at the VAISTECH unit.
Old 02-20-08, 09:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think this is some radom one. i47 apple adapter. Its reasonable, I just wish I could control it from the wheel
Old 02-21-08, 03:22 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VAIS is leading adapter out there for our cars, I think.... maybe others can chime in...
The VAIS lets you press the Up/Down channel buttons on the wheel to change tracks... if you press and hold them for 2 seconds, you switch folders on the iPod.... kinda handy.....
Old 02-21-08, 04:48 AM
jenadamson
Driver

You're supposed to be able to do all of the following according to my Lexus sales rep:

"This interface has the following capabilities:
• Controls the iPod through the radio buttons and
steering wheel audio controls
• Displays the music text information on the radio’s
display
• Has the ability to search and play back by song,
artist, album, audio books, genre and even play
lists
• Provides direct high quality audio connection
• Charges the iPod while the vehicle is running
• Comes with all cables necessary to get started
• Glove box location enhances security by keeping
the iPod out of site"

I haven't had it installed yet though - have asked if you can use the touchscreen while vehicle is in motion to search and have not heard back yet - can you with what you had installed? If yours isn't doing all of the above, I would take it back and have it checked out.
Old 02-21-08, 05:24 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

or maybe it's not the same one.
Old 02-21-08, 06:02 AM
rwdds
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

-or maybe it's only got the steering wheel control capability on ML equipped units???? ( I doubt this is the case)
Old 02-21-08, 10:16 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jenadamson
You're supposed to be able to do all of the following according to my Lexus sales rep:

"This interface has the following capabilities:
• Controls the iPod through the radio buttons and
steering wheel audio controls
• Displays the music text information on the radio’s
display
• Has the ability to search and play back by song,
artist, album, audio books, genre and even play
lists
• Provides direct high quality audio connection
• Charges the iPod while the vehicle is running
• Comes with all cables necessary to get started
• Glove box location enhances security by keeping
the iPod out of site"

I haven't had it installed yet though - have asked if you can use the touchscreen while vehicle is in motion to search and have not heard back yet - can you with what you had installed? If yours isn't doing all of the above, I would take it back and have it checked out.
I'm counfused. Is this with the standard hookup in the 2008 or only if something else is installed?
Old 02-22-08, 12:55 AM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

yeah wtf is this mysterious ipod adapter?! I want one!
Old 02-23-08, 07:56 PM
jenadamson
Driver

The iPod interface I'm talking about (but have yet to actually see) is one that you can have installed by a Lexus dealer for about $300. I don't know if you can order your car with it or not, but it is not standard equipment and I've only seen it offered as an after delivery option,.... It is also NOT the standard headphone-plug type MP3 connection that is in the armrest compartment. It is something that is mounted in the glove compartment that you connect your iPod to and it also charges it while connected. Which is why I'm concerned about whether or not you can use the touchscreen to search/change songs etc while you're moving because otherwise what good is it to be stuck with whatever you started out playing that day because you're iPod is connected in the glove compartment?! Right now, I use the direct plug in and then I can use my iPod as usual (or my 6 yr old son uses it in the back seat - I got an adapter with a long cord) but you can't see any info on your car screen, have to peer at iPod while driving.
Old 02-24-08, 02:17 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The Godfather
yeah wtf is this mysterious ipod adapter?! I want one!
http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_det...id=90139&all=Y
Old 02-24-08, 05:07 PM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Hmmm but does this work on an '06 GS300?
Old 02-24-08, 05:10 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

not if you have satellite radio. stick with vais.
Old 03-26-08, 06:44 AM
phokus
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an older post, but wanted to throw in what I have learned over the last couple of days.

The Lexus iPod adapter cannot be used in conjunction with Satellite radio. Something to do with the channel it uses or frequency or something (what I was told by the guy that installs them). As seen in the Sewell link, this on is 246$.

The i47 allows for both Satellite radio and iPod integration (meaning control from car stereo controls). And does work with the ML sound system. You press SAT a time or two before you get there. But you should be able to do all the things posted in an earlier post. I believe I found this online for about 199$.

The Vais adapter allows for both Satellite radio and iPod integration (meaning control from car stereo controls). And does work with the ML sound system. The only differences between the i47 and this are that the VAIS is used by pressing the CD/Aux button two times. And as of now, you can apparently only listen to Playlists. I call the rep for them and was told in two weeks a new version would be coming out that would allow searching by artist, album, etc.. It is about 249$.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the side panel off so I can get in behind the headunit and find a Sirius tuner that will work.

Quick Reply: SHOULD i BE ABLE TO CHANGE TRACKS FROM THE STEERING WHEEL WITH AN IPOD ADAPTER