GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tire Pressure Sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 08:42 AM
TXprfrmnce
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensor question

Have I missed something?? Does the TPS on '07 GS not identify which tire is low? With the low profiles I found it extremely hard to know which tire was the issue.

It was humbling when someone said "I am surprised a Lexus doesn't tell you when a Chevy truck does"
Old 02-25-08, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

none of the tps in lexus lineup as far as i know tell which tire is low, there have been quite a few threads about this
Old 02-25-08, 09:44 AM
TXprfrmnce
Driver

Thanks Rominl. My newness to CL is showing.

Spiralynth's "How happy are you now" poll is now officially tainted because of this realization! Just kidding.
Old 02-25-08, 10:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

believe me, i can easily list couple more things on the gs that i think could be improved (and even on my ls460l)

i have come to realized nothing is perfect. you can always find things to improve
Old 02-25-08, 11:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

To me its no big deal if the TPMS dont tell me which tire is low. If I get a low pressure warning, I would normally check all the tires anyways.
Old 02-25-08, 12:04 PM
TXprfrmnce
Driver

That's a good point and true. I think the epiphony occurred when it was around 25 degrees and windy one evening so for that reason it would have helped! That is pretty cold here! I shredded 3-4 tires on my BMW due to low pressure so I am paranoid now.
It probably wouldn't have mattered too much to me until I got the "chevy truck" comment. Those trucks are nearly the same money anyway so why be surprised right?
Old 02-25-08, 12:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by The G Man
To me its no big deal if the TPMS dont tell me which tire is low. If I get a low pressure warning, I would normally check all the tires anyways.
kind of true on the case of 3gs, though i think it could be better. first of all base on technologies these days, i think just telling you whether the tires are low on pressure, that's lacking already. quite a few cars out there show the exact pressure for the wheels. ls460 is an example, together with some other brands.

now with that added information, then the feature of telling you exactly which wheel is which would be very helpful, coz' you only need to worry about those that have low pressure.

that's why i think it's a bit silly that on the ls460, it tells you the pressure of all wheels, but it doesn't tell you which is which
Old 02-25-08, 01:58 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

they only show the tired pressure that is low but it does not tell you which is low.....
Old 03-31-08, 04:22 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

My low tire pressure message came on again. This is the second time in about 2.5 months! Last time it went on, I pumped all four tires up (including spare), and the message disappeared. Fast forward to today..I start my car and same message again. I pulled over on my street, examined all four tires and to the naked eye, I didn't have a "flat tire". Someone mentioned in the other forums that if you have run flats, the tire doesn't look "flat". In my case, I have the 18s with the Yokos that came stock..

Some thoughts:

1) I agree with other's sentiments regarding the TPMS' inability to decisively point out which tire is exactly flat. In my case, all four appear fine, but one of the tires probably has a little less air than needed and it isn't quite obvious which one it is to the naked eye.

2) Granted that if I were to check one tire, I'd check all four anyways but I still think this is one of the shortcomings of this car. If you're gonna include TPMS with the car, go all the way.

3) Do any of you guys think the TPMS is a bit sensitive? I'm gonna check my tires for a nail, but this is the second time in about two months..something fishy is going on here. I've read about some "reinitializing" the TPMS or recalibrating it. I wonder if this is something I need to do. My car is parked in a garage and lately if anything the weather has gotten warmer so I'm not sure why the low pressure signal would go on again soo soon. PV=nRT for you chemist..for you non-chemist, if temperature goes up, then tire pressure should too.
Old 03-31-08, 05:07 PM
Kosmos
Rookie

had a rental car in Hawaii - a Pontiac GrandAm (?) - the tire pressure monitor system identified the pressure of each tire and which tire pressure was low...
very disappointing that the GS lacks this feature..
Old 03-31-08, 06:48 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Silversport, I would pump up all 4 tires when they are cold to 33 PSI and reinitialize the TPMS.
Old 03-31-08, 07:16 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The G Man
Silversport, I would pump up all 4 tires when they are cold to 33 PSI and reinitialize the TPMS.
Thanks for the advice.. Could be a newbie question here, but if I pump them up to 33PSI and reinitialize, does that mean that the second they drop below 33PSI, the low pressure indicator will go on?

Thanks!
Old 04-01-08, 05:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

No, you are setting the mid point of the tire pressure range. I believe there is a 5 PSI range up and down in the system, therefore, if you go below 28 psi, the TPMS light will light up.
Old 04-03-08, 03:16 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Update for you all: I measured the air pressure on my front passenger side tire it read a PSI of around 20+. I thought the air compressor I was using was wrong. I filled up the tire to 33PSI. Turned on the car and the low pressure warning went away. I measured all three other tires and they were 33PSI on the dot. This lead me to believe the air pressure gauge I was using was indeed legit. I went back and reexamined my front tire and after looking closely, I found a freakin nail in the tire!!! Slow leak

This is my first car with high profile wheels (18" rims). At 20 PSI the tires didn't look flat at all? Is this normal? I'm shocked that my tire only had 20+ psi but it didn't look flat at all. I have the Yoko Advans that were stock on the car. I believe these aren't run flats. Thoughts?

Anyways, my brother in law said he has the tools to repair it and that I just need to pick up the sticky tube. Anyone have experience with this sticky tube stuff?
Old 04-03-08, 03:26 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When my Low tire sign came on I couldn't tell just from a glance which one was low. And then I also got my tire repaired which had a nail in it and the guy also used the sticky stuff to fix it. Doesn't everyone use that sticky tube thing to fix tires?

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor question