GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thoughts on a new GS and RATTLES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 12:10 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our '06 has creaks around the dash and the driver door has developed rattles. It's particularly noticeable with the Bridgestone Blizzaks on and where the asphalt or concrete has worn. I'm heading in to the dealer in March as I'm at 41k miles and want it addressed before the warranty runs out. I've been reluctant to take it in as any time they have to take something apart such as the dash or door there's a chance some other problem will occur.
Old 02-26-08, 12:17 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a new '08 GS350 rwd for two months already with 2075 miles. I never experienced a single rattle/creak noise in my car. Now since i got 20" wheels and thinner tires i hear the road more.
Old 02-26-08, 12:47 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
I have a new '08 GS350 rwd for two months already with 2075 miles. I never experienced a single rattle/creak noise in my car. Now since i got 20" wheels and thinner tires i hear the road more.
dude! you gotta drive more, i am at 3500
Old 02-26-08, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

while it might not be on all cars, 2000 miles is nothing. i am closed to 5k already and i didn't hear it until around 4k miles? i was happy too before i hear the rattle

and of course, if you drive on silky smooth road all the time, that could be another factor. also, temperature has A LOT to do with it too
Old 02-26-08, 01:11 PM
TXprfrmnce
Driver

Squeek|rattle|click whatever, count me in. It happened to me and the time I took it in the response was "could not duplicate issue" - that drives me nearly as nuts as the original squeek|rattle|click!

Funny thing is it is now gone...well, until it comes back again anyway.
Old 02-26-08, 01:22 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

BTW - I never heard a rattle in my 07 GS350 until I had 8,500 miles and the temps dropped into the 20's.

And, if it's warm enough, you may never hear a rattle. Until you drive into Yosemite in the winter!

My car has 16K miles and my dash rattle was solved by the dealer in December when it was 15 below zero. The car is quiet now.

I also had a 99 GS300 and it never had a dash rattle for 80K miles and 8 years!

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 02-26-08 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-26-08, 02:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
My car has 16K miles and my dash rattle was solved by the dealer in December when it was 15 below zero. The car is quiet now.
lol for sure your car was tested and fixed in the "ideal" condition
Old 02-26-08, 02:08 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in winter my car and my knees creak. maybe in colder areas the typical roads are bumpier from potholes caused by freezing/thawing and the cars get beaten harder. i don't know. but i do know i've driven a lot less expensive cars in cold weather climates and not had the rattles i hear with my GS.
Old 02-26-08, 02:16 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Guys i dont understand why everyone is complaining. First nothing is ever perfect. 2nd you have to consider the road conditions, 3rd your suspension mods, and also the tires you're using. In my case i have tein CST set at the stiffest and also running 20" wheels and thinner tires. Of course i'll get some rattles here and there. Not a big deal for me. You'll sacrifice some comfort over perfomance and looks. That's how i see it.

I'm very sastified with all the lexus i have own in my life. My first ever lexus was a 1991 ES250, and my 2nd one was a 2002 GS300 and now i have a 2008 GS350. Never had a single problem with a Lexus car. In the other hand, my 2006 Mercedes E350 is is PITA. Just in the past month i have taken it back to the dealership three times for stupid dash light warnings.
Old 02-26-08, 02:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol, two different approaches i guess. some people expect their cars to be perfect coz' they paid 50k. i never buy that (and i hate that comment) coz' there are always cars costing more and have issues.

but i see it from lexus generation point of view, i kind of feel that the build of the 3gs is not as solid as the 2gs. now if that's the case, that's a bit bummer, we all expect lexus to improve right?

with all that said, yes i do have rattle and yup it annoys me from time to time, but i am not worried or pissed over it. just get it to dealership and have it fixed. not pointing to anyone, but those who say "omg i am never going to get another lexus" coz their cars have rattles (that are fixable)? i smile.
Old 02-26-08, 02:49 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

All of these rattling issues seem to be coming from the newer, harder material that Lexus is using on the 3GS dash. My first impression of the 3GS’s dash was that it reminded me of a German car. Even the way the vanity mirror opens is Germanish. The BMW has a similar dash material and they seem to have a lot of rattling problems as well. Lexus was great at what they were doing, but somehow wanted to change. Even my mom noticed a better quality from my old 95 ES compared to my sister's 98 ES. But now I'm happy with my 175K 2GS. One owner for life!
Old 02-26-08, 03:20 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont have suspension mods and I am not running 20" wheels and thinner tires. Everything on my GS is stock and I still had the rattles. I supposed I can put in a cold air intake and a fart can of a muffler to fix the rattles
Old 02-26-08, 03:33 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

I'm very sastified with all the lexus i have own in my life. My first ever lexus was a 1991 ES250, and my 2nd one was a 2002 GS300 and now i have a 2008 GS350. Never had a single problem with a Lexus car. In the other hand, my 2006 Mercedes E350 is is PITA. Just in the past month i have taken it back to the dealership three times for stupid dash light warnings.
I drove a '99 GS300 for seven years and a '06 GS430 for 2.5 years. I'm thankful in that time I never had a major mechanical issue with either car. However, both of my GS's suffered from numerous rattles. The rattles in my GS300 was a factor in my purchase of a L-Tuned exhaust. Maybe I'm just unlucky

FWIW, my wife's '06 E350 was rock solid until the day we traded it in. The only issue was a check oil message that randomly appeared (quickly fixed at the dealership). And unlike my GS430, no rattles
Old 02-26-08, 04:50 PM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whlkev
no rattles here

I still believe that a lot of people complaining about rattles because all these posts make them pay attention to noises not otherwise noticeable or aware.

or perhaps i am just used to rattles and clicks coming from german cars.
That comment couldn't be more true. I NEVER heard rattles in any of my cars, until I went into an Acura RL forum...and heard someone complaining about rattles... the next day I drove my car and listened...and there they were! I was blissfully ignorant before I read that post. Since then I've driven an IS/ES/RX/GS and all of them have had 'some' rattles and creaks. The GS had a BUNCH in the dash, but the TSB took care of them for me. I still hear some creaks... but as my wife always says, "It's a bunch of metal and plastic with gapless seems... of COURSE it's going to make noise"
Old 02-26-08, 04:59 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm. I guess several people that have ridden in my car must be lurking on the Lexus forums even tho they aren't owners as they have mentioned the rattles. When you can routinely hear it above the radio, IMO it's not unreasonable to expect better. If you don't relate, maybe it's because some have it worse. I really don't think Lexus would issue a bunch of empty TSBs to mollify pointless complainers. I wouldn't go as far as say I would never buy another Lexus product but man, a couple of these were really grating before they were fixed.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a new GS and RATTLES!!!