GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Custom Pinstriping Piks: 07 GS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 11:19 AM
chaitov52
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by rwdds
I'm curious about the aftermarket parking assist. Does your add-on system interface with the GS or does use it's own display & audio?
The parking assist interfaces with the GS sound only. It is my understanding this there is no display feature on the GS NAV system as with the LS all-around parking assist. Is that true with your GS300 or not?
Old 03-02-08, 11:48 AM
rwdds
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have the assist feature in my GS, but I thought I saw (in my manual) extensive nav display and dash/info display features. One of the guys who has this option and actually uses it will know.

Do you get audio indication of side proximity? I think that would be valuable since I ruined the alloy wheels on my G35 by scraping them on the curb in front of my home!
Old 03-02-08, 12:05 PM
chaitov52
Rookie

Default No NAV

Originally Posted by rwdds
I don't have the assist feature in my GS, but I thought I saw (in my manual) extensive nav display and dash/info display features. One of the guys who has this option and actually uses it will know.

Do you get audio indication of side proximity? I think that would be valuable since I ruined the alloy wheels on my G35 by scraping them on the curb in front of my home!
We didn't want the NAV system as our experience with the Lexus version over the last three Lexus' we've owned has been lacking. So, we bought the only 07 they had without the NAV and our understanding is that the only parking assist that comes with the GS from the factory is what I've had installed, which is only the rear detectors. Even the after-market guys cannot install the front/side detectors because they say the GS isn't wired/programmed for D/Drive selection detection. In other words, when you put the trans into Reverse/R, the rear detectors engage. They cannot put front/side detectors on because the GS doesn't have the capability to detect forwards motion when you put the trans into Drive/D mode. Don't really understand it all, but that is what I was told.
Old 03-02-08, 12:49 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so you got half of a park assist.

the ES350 all-around park assist shows a vehicle 'radar' diagram on the nav screen, pinpointing the specific part of the car that is too close to the obstacle.

the GS must have it too.
Old 03-02-08, 01:31 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack

the ES350 all-around park assist shows a vehicle 'radar' diagram on the nav screen, pinpointing the specific part of the car that is too close to the obstacle.

the GS must have it too.
GS of course has it and the "closeness" to the obstacles are shown on the display area under the speedometer as well
Old 03-02-08, 04:21 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

very nice,
Old 03-02-08, 04:51 PM
chaitov52
Rookie

Arrow Yeah, but we saved $7,000

Originally Posted by dunnojack

the GS must have it too.
We didn't want the NAV/Levinson system and the only car they had left was the one we got; and I must say it was the one we wanted, color included. In addition to not having the NAV system and being the only 07 new model left on the lot with 106 miles on the odometer, they marked it down from its sticker price of $47,683 to $40,842. We couldn't walk away from a deal like that being that we really don't use Navigation where we live, and to be truthful, we can't hear any difference between our Lexus Premium Sound system in the GS and the Mark Levinson sound system in our 08 RX. We got the top of the line NAV/Levinson packagae on our new 08 RX400h which we use for taking long trips because it came packaged that way. We use our Garmin StreetPilot for Navigating anyway as it is realtime and only costs $60 to update the maps each update vs. the hundreds of $$$ Lexus wants for a system that is very, very, very lacking in my honest opinion. We only needed the rear parking assist because we are used to having it on all our other vehicles. Our RX didn't come with parking assist, so we had the after-market installed as well. I stand corrected on the all-around parking assist on the GS and now I understand on the ES.

Thanks for everyone's feedback/input.

Cheers
Old 03-03-08, 08:33 AM
GatorWPB
Driver

The pin striping looks nice. I certainly would not have the steady hand for such a task.

As to the park assist, I didnt realize I was getting it on my 08, but I love it. People in my car are always commenting on it. Front and rear, plus it will tell you if it is front/rear at an angle. Displays with the rear view camera as well.
Old 03-03-08, 08:48 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder why the aftermarket park assist has to be turned on/off. You can just leave it on at all time, can't you?

Nice on the pinstripe
Old 03-03-08, 08:49 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I wish the front sensors on the park assist was aim lower, so it would pick up those high curbs when parking.
Old 03-03-08, 09:19 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

^, I too wish they could pick up the curbs and those pesky front bumpers in the parking spaces.

I have never been a pinstripe person, but the GS looks sweet with it, quite classy actuallty.
Old 03-03-08, 01:03 PM
chaitov52
Rookie

Default Thanks

to all of you who liked the pinstripes; and those that prefer no pinstripes, I totally understand your sentiments. The lines on our 06 IS250 were so great with the color we chose (Metallic Sage) that to have put pinstripes on it would have ruined it. But these two cars we got were lacking something, in our opinion, so we went with the pinstripes and are pleased with the results.

Old 03-03-08, 03:11 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You added some different tastes to your car. I like it.

As for the sensors, I am planing on doing this mod with both front and back. My understanding is that when you step on the brake, the front sensors are engaged vs. putting into the reverse gear to engage the rear sensors.
Old 03-03-08, 03:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am not a big fan of pin stripes either, but it doesnt look half bad. I think they did a great job. The most important thing is that you like it
Old 03-03-08, 04:09 PM
chaitov52
Rookie

Default Update: Painted Sensors, As You Requested!!!

Yeah Yeah Yeah.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Pinstriping Piks: 07 GS350-img_0776.jpg  

Quick Reply: Custom Pinstriping Piks: 07 GS350