GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Someone might want to find out if the IS-F brakes fit the 3GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-08, 09:40 AM
Ned Vo
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default gs350 awd

These BBK kit fit 06+ GS...including AWD model? Someone please confirm this.
Thanks
Old 03-05-08, 09:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

You guys also should make sure your wheels clear the big brakes, especially up front. This is a 'surprise' extra expense for many folks who purchase upgraded OEM or aftermarket big brake kits.
Old 03-05-08, 09:58 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus GS3
Great to know it will fit on our GSes.. Now i gotta find out if my wheels will fit those IS-F brakes.
Agree, no doubt that the ISF brakes will be a direct bolt on for a 3GS. My question is will the stock rims clear the bigger disk and calipers (F&R) ???
Old 03-05-08, 10:04 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think they mentioned in the thread that these brakes will not clear with stock wheels.

I am suprised to hear that since the stock 3GS has some beefy 4piston calipers already, I can't imagine these are that much bigger.
Old 03-05-08, 10:30 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Doh, didn't see Luis' post on the 2nd page. Logic would assume that the stock rims wouldn't clear, just needed confirmation. The ISF brakes are much bigger, front disc is 1" and rear is 1.5" larger than our GS, in fact the rear disc is larger than our front disc. Plus the cross drilled discs and the logos on the calipers add that extra bling factor. . .
Old 03-05-08, 10:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ Doh, didn't see Luis' post on the 2nd page. Logic would assume that the stock rims wouldn't clear, just needed confirmation. The ISF brakes are much bigger, front disc is 1" and rear is 1.5" larger than our GS, in fact the rear disc is larger than our front disc. Plus the cross drilled discs and the logos on the calipers add that extra bling factor. . .
If you've got 18" wheels (or bigger) it's usually not the size of the rotor with big brakes that's the problem - it's the height of the caliper and how it may interfere with the spokes of your wheel as it spins that become an issue.

Aftermarket wheels that fit big brakes are often referred to as 'high disk' design and depending on the brakes even some of those don't fit without a spacer. Those with 'low disk' have bigger lips on the wheels.
Old 03-05-08, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i posted in the vendor forum but will mention it here as well.

the is-f brakes (front) is 14.2 rotors, and i believe brembo makes the calipers for them?

the oem calipers on the gs, is, and ls460 are HUGE. in fact, they are larger than some aftermarket brakes out there. for example on my ls460l, my brembo brakes actually has more clearance on my wheels than the stock brakes. that's how big the caliper is.

of course, i can't say with 100% guarantee, but i am posting from my experience

in fact, i am not sure about the overall diameter? i knoe 14" setup needs at least 18" wheels to clear. this is 14.2. maybe still ok, but not 100% confidence

for sure this is one very interesting mods cosider it's so affordable.

btw, tommy, your 20s? you have zero issues
Old 03-05-08, 11:06 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
btw, tommy, your 20s? you have zero issues
Henry, So are you saying the IS-F front brakes caliper size is smaller in size than our stock 4piston calipers? If that's that case i will get the IS-F brakes.

One thing i'm concern is brake dust. I'll wait for the IS-F owners to give feedback before jumping on the GB.
Old 03-05-08, 11:11 AM
LexFather

I think Luis mentioned someone doing a test fit. As Henry stated, the stock GS 350 up 4 pots are huge. THey are good brakes from the factory.

The IS-F caliper looks longer and possibly not as wide. Sounds like it will easily weigh much less.

I think another reason for the low price, the IS-F brakes while huge, are not 2 hat rotors, but a 1 piece design. Brembo started offering this setup a couple years ago as its cheaper than the setup DaveGS4 has for instance.
Old 03-05-08, 11:12 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tommy,

you were the one that told me you don't understand why people with 3GS get BBk because the stock one is already like a bbk with 4 piston, don't bite into the temptation

and yes, brembo is notorious for having massive amount of brake dusts, i am sure is-f is no exception
Old 03-05-08, 11:24 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Originally Posted by whlkev
Tommy,

you were the one that told me you don't understand why people with 3GS get BBk because the stock one is already like a bbk with 4 piston, don't bite into the temptation

and yes, brembo is notorious for having massive amount of brake dusts, i am sure is-f is no exception
haha Kevin...

You know i got the MOD bug going on. Besides the price is very attractive. But I cant really decide right now. Its either JDM Lexus body kit or BBK. Both are about the same price.
Old 03-05-08, 11:30 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Guys one more thing i think we should really all consider before buying the IS-F BBK.. Make sure your spare tires will clear them. God forbid you get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. (knock on wood). You dont wanna be stranded in the middle of nowhere or in the fwy where help is not reallly accessible.
Old 03-05-08, 11:47 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I agree with what he said.....we should all check to see if those breaks will fit our spare tires...
Old 03-05-08, 12:28 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
Tommy,

it also depends on what type of brake pad you decide to use with the bbk. Some brake pads are less grip but also less dust, some are a good balance of grip and dust and some have great grip and mucho dust, I'm sure there is one that you guys will like out there, just have to ask around and/or test by yourself.
Old 03-05-08, 12:40 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the GB should have an option of buying the BBK + ISF rims

Quick Reply: Someone might want to find out if the IS-F brakes fit the 3GS