GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sirius with Shark Fin

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 10:24 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sirius with Shark Fin

This post is for the people who have the OEM Lexus Sirius reciever that uses the lame hockey puck antenna next to the rearview.

I just purchased the Vaistech SFA12M cable. It allows you to connect the Sirius reciever the shark fin. It was a quick and easy install. It does improve reception but not sure yet if it's worth the $60, I paid.

I think XM has a special deal with Lexus, where only XM can use the shark fin because the adapter is so simple, there's no reason why Sirius can't use the shark fin.
Old 03-07-08, 03:38 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

wouldn't take many fewer drops than i get with my sirius puck to make it worth $60 to me. let us know what you think after you use it a while. tips on the install?
Old 03-07-08, 12:25 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Well, the reason that I'm hesitant to say that the shark fin so much better is because its only been 2 days since I got the adapter. So far in my driving, I do get drop outs still on underpasses but I don't want the $60 effect to have me imagining that I'm getting less. I live in Los Angeles and the underpasses are big. And if anybody drives on the 134 freeway passing the Disney building. I still get a short drop there, it could be because of the huge antennas they have next to the building.

I'd say logically it would make sense for the shark fin to get better reception than the hockey puck, just because it's outside and maybe I'll confirm it with less drops. I used to have drops, going by big trees, big buildings, big rigs, etc. I'll investigate if I still do.

Install wise, it's stupid easy, the hard part is having to take apart the trunk trim to access the reciever. Just download the install directions for either XM or Sirius from the Sewell website and follow it. You just disconnect the antenna from the Sirius reciever, put the SFA12M connector instead, the connectors look different from each other but it still fits perfectly. The other end of the SFA12M goes to the shark fin connector which is wrapped in some foam with electrical tape.

The best thing about doing this is that you can now remove the hockey puck next to the rearview but I think I'm going to just leave it there still. The OEM Sirius install is truly complicated because they run that line from the trunk, down the side of the car and to the rearview. It must take them a lot of time to do it and they are taking apart a new car to do it. I guess you can just cut the puck and leave the wiring in the car too.
Old 03-07-08, 05:16 PM
atc1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Radio Terrestrial Repeaters

Both Sirius and XM have terrestrial transmitters. This is necessary because the satellite radio antenna doesn't always have line of site to the satellite.

For example, here is a link for XM terrestrial repeaters.
http://www.whatsonmyxm.com/gmaps/repeaters.php

Here is one for Sirius.
http://www.dogstarradio.com/sirius_map.php

It is difficult to determine the effectiveness of the shark fin antenna vs. an aftermarket satellite antenna because the receiver could be receiving signals via these land based repeaters and/or the satellite.
Old 03-07-08, 05:46 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

seems like if you drove in the same general area before and after the switch to shark fin and you had fewer drops after, it would point to the fin. seems practical but i would agree not scientific and qualatative at best cause i'm sure none of us are counting drops or recording dead zones. heck whatever, hope you turn out to be happy with the $60 cable.
Old 03-07-08, 08:08 PM
moolman
Pole Position

I don't drive the same route everyday but behind my building I used to get spotty reception, now it doesn't drop at all. I just realized it today, so at least in one spot, I get better reception. I think it drops bother you a lot, like it did for me, $60 shipped is well worth it.
Old 03-08-08, 09:43 AM
silver2000
Rookie

its not perfect but its a BIG improvement

Worth the $60 to me - if for no other reason than its the way it should be

Im shocked that Sat receivers don't simply cache a few seconds of radio to avoid dropouts completely -
Old 03-17-08, 11:05 AM
FSM65
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone installed the SFA12M using a plug n play Sirius (Stiletto). I'm trying to figure out a way to use the sharkfin with the Stiletto. I think the Vaistech adapter will work with the car dock, but not sure how to get the adapter cable from the trunk to the center console area without tearing out a bunch of parts.
Old 03-18-08, 12:54 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FSM65
Has anyone installed the SFA12M using a plug n play Sirius (Stiletto). I'm trying to figure out a way to use the sharkfin with the Stiletto. I think the Vaistech adapter will work with the car dock, but not sure how to get the adapter cable from the trunk to the center console area without tearing out a bunch of parts.
One end of the SFA12M attaches to the shark fin's cable. The other end seems to be a universal antenna plug that you attach to the Sirius reciever. On OEM Sirius Lexus installs, the reciever is in the trunk so it's easy to attach it to the shark fin. If you're reciever is in in the center console, you'll need an extension cable probably available on TSS and run it through the car. The OEM Sirius requires that they run the antenna cable from the reciever in the trunk to the hockey puck antenna next to the rear view mirror. You can just download the instructions off the Sewell website for the OEM Sirius install but instead of running the antenna wire, run the SFA12M extension cable to the center console. At least with the instructions, you'll know what and how to take apart the car etc.

So far I've been using the shark fin and I would say, the reception is better but it's not perfect like regular antenna, still get drop out if I go slow under a over pass or in certain spots but I get no drops in certain areas that I used to get drops, like behind my building. Overall, it is better but I'm not sure about $60 better. $60 buys a lot of beers.
Old 03-18-08, 09:02 AM
FSM65
Driver School Candidate

Good advice. Thanks. I must be doing something wrong because I only see the XM OEM instructions on Sewell site. I'm sure I can find the Sirius instructions somewhere on the web.

You're right about the beer, but I think it's worth the $60 to avoid the regular Sirius antenna.
Old 03-18-08, 02:27 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FSM65
Good advice. Thanks. I must be doing something wrong because I only see the XM OEM instructions on Sewell site. I'm sure I can find the Sirius instructions somewhere on the web.

You're right about the beer, but I think it's worth the $60 to avoid the regular Sirius antenna.
The OEM Sirius intructions are on Sewell but harder to find because it got discontinued for some reason. Probably because the hockey puck in almost impossible to install.

Here's the link:
http://www.lexus-parts.com/import/pdf/gs_satellite.pdf

If I didn't already have the hockey puck installed by the dealership before I bought the car. $60 to have them avoid taking apart the car is well worth it. And the hockey puck is ugly sitting next to the rearview. Even though I switched to the sharkfin. I still keep the hockey puck there because removing it is more of a headache now, look at how crazy the installation is for that thing.
Old 03-23-08, 04:56 PM
bennynihon
Driver School Candidate

I'm surprised you guys are saying this improved reception over the puck antenna. I placed the puck antenna by the rear window in my '07 IS250 and the reception has been great. But I've been doing this for a year and really wanted to use the Shark-fin antenna for a cleaner look and improved reception.

I've seen posts like these

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum...ht=lexus+is350

and figured it could be done quite easily. So today I took a Sirius antenna I had and cut into it. It's just coax, so I separated the signal from ground. I did the same for the Shark-fin connector in my trunk. Cut it and separated the signal wire from ground. I soldered the Sirius cable to the Shark-fin cable and even did a continuity test to make sure that I had a solid low-impedance connection. All checked out OK, but when I tried using it with my Sirius Stiletto, the reception was awful. I had maybe one bar, and the signal kept dropping out. It wasn't even very reliable in a wide-open space without any trees or buildings nearby.

If I replug in the hockey puck antenna, immediately it improves. I'm glad I didn't cough up the $60, because clearly the shark-fin antenna doesn't seem to do very well with Sirius receivers. I'd like to think I'm wrong, but I don't see what I could be doing wrong. Am I missing something?

Most receivers have a mode to see the satellite signal strength. That'd be one way for any of you to quickly compare the shark-fin to the hockey puck antenna.

I'm pretty disappointed by this.
Old 03-23-08, 11:38 PM
moolman
Pole Position

I don't think you can do a good test unless you get the Vaistech cable. I don't have a signal strength on my radio since I have the OEM but there is a difference in reception is specific places where I used to get drops. Drops don't stop just because I'm using the shark fin, it's not prefect but it noticeably better before. Maybe the position of your hockey puck on the rear window is much better and the shark fin is worse. But I'm moving up from the hockey puck next to the rearview and it's not in a good spot there so the shark fin is an improvement.
Old 04-28-08, 12:55 PM
FSM65
Driver School Candidate

Default Vaistech Sharkfin Adapter

I installed the Vaistech Sharkfin Adapter for my plug and play Sirius Stiletto and it works well (still drops out on some underpasses and under large, leafy trees). The old puck antenna I had on my last car (Volvo) worked better (trees did not affect it and it hardly ever dropped on underpasses). If you don't care about having the puck, I would just use it. But I wanted to use the shark fin and not have the puck showing, so the adapter cable worked out for me.
Old 02-05-09, 07:46 AM
Newts5
Driver School Candidate

Question Terrestial mixed signal?

Originally Posted by atc1
Both Sirius and XM have terrestrial transmitters. This is necessary because the satellite radio antenna doesn't always have line of site to the satellite.
Does the Sirius receiver have to use the Sirius antena (the puc) to pick up the terrestial signal, like an AM wire antena, or do the repeaters send out the same type signal as the satalite which can then be picked up by the Lexus shark fin antena?

Quick Reply: Sirius with Shark Fin