GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Vibration in rear when applying brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 01:21 PM
Jeepdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in rear when applying brakes

Guys,
I have an 07 GS350 with just under 25,000 miles. Lately I have noticed, when drivng on the freeway, a vibration in the rear when the brakes are applied. Usually this would be warped rotors...but after just 25k??? This is my wifes car that I rarely drive and I know she does not ride the brakes hard. Do you think the dealer will take care of it? I Also have a VERY LOUD squeel from the front brakes. I have had the pads changed to the low dust version. Anyone had any luck or these above issues yet?

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 03-14-08, 01:39 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

vibration only when brakes are applied right? first sign points to warped rotors.

warped rotors can happen anytime, especially early when the pads/rotors weren't properly bedded in.

when you changed to the low dust pads, did you change the rotors as well? and at what miles?

I assume you got it done under the TSIB? low dusts pads are more prone to squealing, just the simple facts of life due to pads construction, they should've warned you for that.
Old 03-14-08, 01:59 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You dont need to drive the car hard to have warp rotors. It can be cause by lug nuts over tighten or washing down hot disc among other things.
Old 03-14-08, 02:07 PM
Jeepdude
Driver School Candidate

I had the low dust pads put on at around 15,000. No they did not replace the rotors. The Squeel has just showed up in the past 2,000 miles. I think I would rather have dirty wheels rather than the Squeel. It sucks to drive up in a GS and then SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL! At least the dirty wheels don't draw so much attention.

Do you know how the dealers will deal with the squeel and vibration issue? Are they cool about out it or do they typically say "Sorry...not covered"?

Thanks for the feedback,
Bryan
Old 03-14-08, 02:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if the pads squeal loud, maybe they were not bedded to the rotors correctly. go back and talk to them (but you have driven it for 10k miles...). thing is you didn't have that problem until they put in new pads, so ask them why

the rear, check, maybe the rotors are warped
Old 03-14-08, 03:24 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think some of the dealer's arrangement with these TSIB pads is that if you don't like the new pads, they will swap it back for you, but you have to pay for the labor.

However, if you truly enjoy the new dustless pads, there are things you can do to eliminate the vibration of the pads (reason for the squeal)

resurface, anti squeak compound...etc

go to the dealer and complain first, doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 03-14-08, 08:01 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeepdude
I had the low dust pads put on at around 15,000. No they did not replace the rotors. The Squeel has just showed up in the past 2,000 miles. I think I would rather have dirty wheels rather than the Squeel. It sucks to drive up in a GS and then SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL! At least the dirty wheels don't draw so much attention.

Do you know how the dealers will deal with the squeel and vibration issue? Are they cool about out it or do they typically say "Sorry...not covered"?

Thanks for the feedback,
Bryan

Brian, I just dealt with this issue a week ago. After driving about 5k miles with the low-dust pads, the squealing began. It was sporadic at first so I just let it go, but it became constant - and loud. They didn't do my rotors when they put the pads on. Anyway I took it to the dealer and was told that they could do my rotors but the low dust pads would eventually squeal again, or they could put original pads back on and there would most likely be no squeal - just a lot of dust. I decided to have the original pads put back on. The brakes are absolutely silent and quite honestly, feel a lot better than they did with the low-dust pads. I'll just have to do the maintenance. The really loud squealing was embarrassing.
Old 03-14-08, 09:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

sometimes the squealing can come from glazed rotors. You can glaze a rotor with one good insanely hard stop. Does your wife race people when shes going to and from work. I ask bec my wife, who seems pretty calm ,tends to enjoy the occasional speed challenge by young punks in their civics on the freeways. Even if she not a street racer like my wife even a hard emergency stop can glaze a rotor. Good luck.