GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My 1st Lexus and I'm PISSED !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 01:05 PM
sonikbo0m
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, sorry to hear. As a first time lexus owner, it drives me crazy too. I bought it in a couple of times with no fixed to the problem. Eventually I'll bring it in again but I'm just tired of dropping it off and picking it back up days later with no solution. Funny thing is that they can advertise with multiple commercials of how quiet the corrolla is and here they known this problem with the GS for two years now. Funny, but lexus are the only ones laughing on their way to the bank.
Old 03-16-08, 01:13 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be glad you don't have vibration issues, and failing lower ball joints.
Old 03-16-08, 02:07 PM
Badgerbolt
Driver School Candidate

Thank You all for your advise. I have an appointment at the Dealer next week. We're starting to warm up a little in Wisconsin so I'm sure the rattles will not be as bad when I take it in. May have to wait until next winter. When I said this car was a rental, I'm not sure how Lexus uses them. The title history shows the title transfer to the Lexus dealership with rental behind it. I just assumed this was a car the dealership provided to others while their own vehicles were in for warranty work. I'm not sure of any other way they would rent it out. I actually bought the car from a Mercedes dealership. Carfax just showed it as being titled by the Lexus dealership
Old 03-16-08, 04:31 PM
hammer45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Badgerbolt
I just have to vent my frustration somewhere and I would greatly appreciate advise from anyone on this forum. I just sold my Audi A-8 which had horrible reliability issues. So frustrated with Audi repair bills I sought out Lexus for it's alleged reliability.

Last month I purchased a very late model 2006 GS-300 awd. I was very happy with my find as this GS-300 was placed into service only 13 months ago with only 11K on the odometer. A lot of factory warranty left ! This vehicle was a Lexus rental and I'm really the 1st owner. When my wife and I test drove the vehicle we never noticed any dash rattles. It happened to be a warmer sunny day and we had no prior knowledge of the ongoing rattle problems so we really weren't paying any special attention.

After getting the car home the weather got back in the 30's and all hell broke lose. Rattles around the instrument cluster. rattles around the Nav unit and the Styrofoam squeak all along the front of the dash were it contacts the windshield. I checked with the Lexus dealer and they had already installed an insulation kit. Then I called the Lexus Customer Assistance, who advised me they were aware of the problem and was working on a fix and had no special service campaign at this time. What's up with this!!! From what I have gathered on this forum, they have known about it for almost 2 years.

I obviously don't expect manufacturers to get it perfect the first time but I sure do expect them to put some effort into correcting those manufacturing defects. Why hasn't there been a recall by now? I can't stand to drive the Lexus anymore. I've gone back to driving our 2nd car, a 96 A4 with 145K which has less dash rattles.
Thought you were describing a whine from the driver's seat for a minute.

Every car has issues, Lexus customer care is top-notch compared to most manufacturers. They identified the issue and issued a TSIB for an insulation fix.
Old 03-16-08, 10:29 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

...This vehicle was a Lexus rental and I'm really the 1st owner...
IMHO, this is the root problem. 9 out of 10 folks beat the snot out of loaners or rentals, its just human nature. I myself will push a loaner harder than my own personal car, things like WOT starts from a stop and taking corners a lil' harder & faster come to mind. With this in mind, I would never buy a used car if I knew it was a rental or loaner, you just never know how hard it was abused prior to you taking title...
Old 03-16-08, 10:41 PM
Badgerbolt
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if a vehicle titled as a Lexus rental was used as a loaner or something else? As mentioned in a few previous threads any car that was leased would also be subject to possibly the same neglect as you know your going to turn it back in. In the case of MANY luxury cars leases are the norm. I guess it doesn't leave many options for the person who can't afford to pay the 50K plus for the new car!
Old 03-17-08, 05:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Badgerbolt, I bought my 08 GS in 3 weeks ago for the dash creaks. While I thought my dash creaking was bad, the loaner GS I had was a lot worst, creaks and rattles coming from every direction.
Make sure the dealer install the noise kit and another wind noise kit for your GS. Also they should remove all windshield clip, top and bottom, insulate the AC vents and windshield cowl. Ask the dealer if felt have been applied to the dashboard clips and where the dash board meets the firewall.

Good Luck
Old 03-17-08, 08:54 AM
Badgerbolt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks G Man-- Excellent check list to take to the dealer.
Old 03-17-08, 10:41 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a loaner car:

pot hole? muhhahaha (steps on gas)
Old 03-17-08, 03:31 PM
Badgerbolt
Driver School Candidate

From numerous comments about how Lexus drivers have treated their loans, I have really mis-judged them. I assumed Lexus owners were a more mature, respectful, distinguished crowd. It's very nice and 1st class that Lexus provides loaners for warranty work. Just figured owners would be more repectful.
Old 03-17-08, 03:47 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

From numerous comments about how Lexus drivers have treated their loans, I have really mis-judged them. I assumed Lexus owners were a more mature, respectful, distinguished crowd. It's very nice and 1st class that Lexus provides loaners for warranty work. Just figured owners would be more repectful.

Badger, I think owners are respectful....of their own cars...not loaners. A loaner is exactly that....a loaner. I tend to drive my loaner a little harder to see what its capabilities are. Why not try it on a loaner instead of your own? Please don't take this personally...Ive always viewed a loaner kinda like a prostitute. Who has driven this and what has been done in this car? That's why I would prefer, if my only choice was resale, I would go buy from a onetime owner if at all possible.

Bottomline is, you own the car now. I hope all creaks and rattles get squared away. Again...I meant nothing personal by using the prostitute as an analogy....I'll blame that on Bonehead Spitzer

Take care man....

Last edited by BKE420; 03-17-08 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-17-08, 04:57 PM
OBI_agent
Rookie

Damn, I feel sorry for you...interior rattle's $uck. Anyway, just a piece of advice for your next car....don't buy a rental. People abuse misuse the car because it aint their's. Think about it.....I would r@pe a rental if I had one

Anyway, I hope the matter is solved.
Old 03-17-08, 06:20 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

last time i had a loaner i was doin donuts in the parkin lot lol
Old 03-17-08, 07:50 PM
Badgerbolt
Driver School Candidate

I guess I have to stand by my newly formed opinion of Lexus owners!!!
Old 03-17-08, 07:53 PM
Badgerbolt
Driver School Candidate

Make that SOME Lexus owners. Thank You to those who gave constructive advise!

Quick Reply: My 1st Lexus and I'm PISSED !!!!