GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My 1st Lexus and I'm PISSED !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-08, 06:10 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
If you look at the GS manual it will likely say something very similar to what you were told by the dealer about your Acura, the ES manual does about oil use of that volume being normal.

Maybe it is a Japanese built car thing, but seemed excessive to me, though do know engines will consume oil and that is why it is a good idea to check it every now and then between service appointments.
You're right... I read that in the service manual too. But... I've NEVER owned a car that burned oil like that. My 91 Jetta didn't burn oil like that... my 1st Gen GS300 was 11yrs old when I sold it, and never burned a drop. Even my friend who also had an Acura RL purchaced 1mo before mine...had NO oil consumption. It was obvious that there was something 'not right' about my engine for it to be doing that... but Acura said, "normal". No I wouldn't have minded them saying, "normal" after at least a little investigation. They wouldn't even pull the spark plugs to see if one was fouled pointing to some extra oil leaking in via a poorly seated pison ring or leaky valve stem. They could have kept a customer had they at least humored me... did a cursory investigation. If they looked into it and then said, "It's normal"... I would have accepted that and have kept the car.
I had this discussion over at the AcuraZine forum. A few would point to the manual and say, "Consumption is normal"... but they miss the point... Acura lost a customer (one of it's 'flagship' owners) because it didn't bother to take my complaint seriously... no matter what their 'manual' said.

I would bet (although I haven't had to test this)... that if I went to my Lexus service department with the same complaint...they would look into it, even if the manual says it can be considered normal. Thus Lexus gets my business... which is afterall, what this is all about... Good Business!

Last edited by NavyDoc333; 03-22-08 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-22-08, 09:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Badgerbolt
From numerous comments about how Lexus drivers have treated their loans, I have really mis-judged them. I assumed Lexus owners were a more mature, respectful, distinguished crowd. It's very nice and 1st class that Lexus provides loaners for warranty work. Just figured owners would be more repectful.
Wow, just not the case. I don't even lend power tools to FRIENDS anymore because I've learned the hard way that most people, even those you know, who borrow stuff treat it like crap.

One example: I borrowed a friend's tractor, and treated it reasonably, and after (I'd moved some dirt) I WASHED THE WHOLE THING. I took it back a lot cleaner than when I borrowed it. A while later he wanted to borrow my gas powered leaf blower. It was clean and nice when I loaned it to him. It came back COVERED in dirt and didn't seem to run as smooth. Never again.

And I've TALKED to people who have leased cars and NEVER changed the oil during the ENTIRE lease period (e.g., 3 years). They say "I don't own it so why should I spend any money to maintain it?"

That's why I never buy used vehicles. Yes I take the depreciation hit, but at least I feel I have some leverage with a dealer, plus I keep my vehicles a good long time anyway so it's not that bad.

Anyway, I do sincerely wish you the best of luck - you will have to be POLITE but PERSISTENT with the dealer. If they don't fix things to your satisfaction, ask them openly "what can we do from here?" and if need be and a final straw "maybe I need to talk to Lexus corporate to discuss how unhappy I am with the car and that you can't fix it."
Old 03-22-08, 10:12 AM
Badgerbolt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big costly problems with the A8. I had a 1999. A lot of oil leaks, replaced head gasket and valve cover gaskets. Front ends on all Audi's need rebuilt at 100K, control arms wear out. A/C core leaks. All 1997-1999 had transmission problems and Audi wouldn't admit it. All of this with under 110K on the odometer. I invested around $14,000 to keep it going for 4 years.
Old 03-22-08, 10:26 AM
Badgerbolt
Driver School Candidate

Hi Bit,
Thanks for your note of encouragement. I really felt very comfortable with the car because I had the Lexus service records. The dealership did oil changes at 5K and 8.5K no other service would have been required as I bought the car with only 11.7K. I agree with you about lease cars as people don't care and save the bucks. My appointment is April 2, if they solve the rattles and back me like they have other members, then they have a customer for life. I'm a very loyal customer if the product earns my respect.
Old 03-22-08, 11:59 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
I would bet (although I haven't had to test this)... that if I went to my Lexus service department with the same complaint...they would look into it, even if the manual says it can be considered normal. Thus Lexus gets my business... which is afterall, what this is all about... Good Business!
My experience with Lexus says otherwise... I would bet that Lexus (at least the dealers in my area) would say this is normal as well.
Old 03-24-08, 10:58 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Bah, the only TMCo car I've owned that burned a qt every 1k was my MkIII Supra, and that was after 75k 'spirited' miles and now we all know that motor was prone to the sludge issue. The 4 TMCo cars I've had since the sludge motor barely burn 1/2 qt in 5k miles. So a new Japanese car with less than 50k miles burning a qt every 1k miles is NOT 'normal'. I say 'japanese' since I know the AMG ML55 and Bmw 4.8 X5 do burn apprx a qt every 1k and that is quite normal. . .
Old 03-24-08, 04:54 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ Bah, the only TMCo car I've owned that burned a qt every 1k was my MkIII Supra, and that was after 75k 'spirited' miles and now we all know that motor was prone to the sludge issue. The 4 TMCo cars I've had since the sludge motor barely burn 1/2 qt in 5k miles. So a new Japanese car with less than 50k miles burning a qt every 1k miles is NOT 'normal'. I say 'japanese' since I know the AMG ML55 and Bmw 4.8 X5 do burn apprx a qt every 1k and that is quite normal. . .
I have the 4.8L engine and have never burned a quart (never really had any oil burning problem in any of my cars - knock on wood). It seems to be random when it happens and it seems to happen to every automaker. Tearing down an engine is no simple task and I'm sure that's the #1 reason all mfgs say that 1qt every 1K is normal. I personally would be ticked alas I'm betting getting any dealer to do a tear down over it would be near impossible.
Old 03-25-08, 07:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Does anybody here have a oil burning or oil sludge problem with the GS? I have 2000 miles on the clock now and havent check my oil yet.
Old 03-25-08, 10:09 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ LOL - bet you don't even know where the dip stick is . . .
Old 03-25-08, 10:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

So where is the dipstick
Old 03-25-08, 06:05 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is a dipstick ?
Old 04-24-08, 04:07 PM
AHughes
Driver School Candidate

Default Dash Rattles

Please sell your lexus and go back to a YUGO. You'll never know where the rattles come from. Good luck
Originally Posted by Badgerbolt
I just have to vent my frustration somewhere and I would greatly appreciate advise from anyone on this forum. I just sold my Audi A-8 which had horrible reliability issues. So frustrated with Audi repair bills I sought out Lexus for it's alleged reliability.

Last month I purchased a very late model 2006 GS-300 awd. I was very happy with my find as this GS-300 was placed into service only 13 months ago with only 11K on the odometer. A lot of factory warranty left ! This vehicle was a Lexus rental and I'm really the 1st owner. When my wife and I test drove the vehicle we never noticed any dash rattles. It happened to be a warmer sunny day and we had no prior knowledge of the ongoing rattle problems so we really weren't paying any special attention.

After getting the car home the weather got back in the 30's and all hell broke lose. Rattles around the instrument cluster. rattles around the Nav unit and the Styrofoam squeak all along the front of the dash were it contacts the windshield. I checked with the Lexus dealer and they had already installed an insulation kit. Then I called the Lexus Customer Assistance, who advised me they were aware of the problem and was working on a fix and had no special service campaign at this time. What's up with this!!! From what I have gathered on this forum, they have known about it for almost 2 years.

I obviously don't expect manufacturers to get it perfect the first time but I sure do expect them to put some effort into correcting those manufacturing defects. Why hasn't there been a recall by now? I can't stand to drive the Lexus anymore. I've gone back to driving our 2nd car, a 96 A4 with 145K which has less dash rattles.
Old 04-24-08, 09:10 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sorry that you had problem with your GS rattling. Mine 2006 rattled 2 years ago and I found out it was near the windshield on the passenger side, and I put a cloth between the windshield and dashboard, and viola that bad rattle was one. I had my dealer check it out and they insulated the region underneath the stereo cover.

As for the problem with the Audi, I know many later 90s A8s had transmission and engine problems. I had a 2006 A8L with 55,000 miles with no problem and I got a 2006 used A8L with 40,000 miles on it after my initially A8 lease went up. I love my A8l. They are built rock solid with no problems at all. Audi has improved their cars substantially. I hope my A8 will continue to last, as I have 100,000 mile warranty on it.
Old 04-24-08, 11:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

man they fixed my dash reattles and now my console creaks all of the time. I am going to take her in for oil soon . I will have then do something for it
Old 04-26-08, 10:56 AM
9Dreamer
Driver School Candidate

In the year 2008 a $50k luxury car should not have dash rattles. It's unacceptable. I was about to be a first time Lexus buyer but may change my mind. Dash rattles drive me crazy.

However, I live in the mild climate of San Francisco so it sounds like rattles might not be a problem in warm climates.

Quick Reply: My 1st Lexus and I'm PISSED !!!!