GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My 1st Lexus and I'm PISSED !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 07:50 PM
Badgerbolt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1st Lexus and I'm PISSED !!!!

I just have to vent my frustration somewhere and I would greatly appreciate advise from anyone on this forum. I just sold my Audi A-8 which had horrible reliability issues. So frustrated with Audi repair bills I sought out Lexus for it's alleged reliability.

Last month I purchased a very late model 2006 GS-300 awd. I was very happy with my find as this GS-300 was placed into service only 13 months ago with only 11K on the odometer. A lot of factory warranty left ! This vehicle was a Lexus rental and I'm really the 1st owner. When my wife and I test drove the vehicle we never noticed any dash rattles. It happened to be a warmer sunny day and we had no prior knowledge of the ongoing rattle problems so we really weren't paying any special attention.

After getting the car home the weather got back in the 30's and all hell broke lose. Rattles around the instrument cluster. rattles around the Nav unit and the Styrofoam squeak all along the front of the dash were it contacts the windshield. I checked with the Lexus dealer and they had already installed an insulation kit. Then I called the Lexus Customer Assistance, who advised me they were aware of the problem and was working on a fix and had no special service campaign at this time. What's up with this!!! From what I have gathered on this forum, they have known about it for almost 2 years.

I obviously don't expect manufacturers to get it perfect the first time but I sure do expect them to put some effort into correcting those manufacturing defects. Why hasn't there been a recall by now? I can't stand to drive the Lexus anymore. I've gone back to driving our 2nd car, a 96 A4 with 145K which has less dash rattles.

Last edited by Badgerbolt; 03-15-08 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-15-08, 07:54 PM
PlatanoTLS
Lead Lap

Thumbs down

Id take dash rattles over being stranded because of electrical gremlins. Dash fitment has nothing to do with its reliability..
Old 03-15-08, 07:59 PM
GoFaSSter
Driver

Recalls are safety related. There will never be a recall for a squeaky dashboard. I am sorry that it is that bad. I drive an older GS400 and it never makes a peep or gives me grief. However, it is not as sexy as the new GS.
Old 03-15-08, 08:02 PM
Badgerbolt
Driver School Candidate

I thought Lexus was suppose to have a reputation for customer service. We all know it is a problem and so does Lexus. They must not be concerned about repeat purchasers.
Old 03-15-08, 08:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Sorry to hear of your troubles Badger. I think you're better off working with the dealer than Lexus corporate. Don't get irate with them, but just be persistent. Your dealer CAN fix the problems if they're any good, most Lexus dealers are EXPERTS at fixing squeaks and creaks. Not being funny really, the problem for Lexus is the drivetrains are so quiet that squeaks, creaks and rattles are more noticeable.

Best of luck to you.
Old 03-15-08, 08:30 PM
Badgerbolt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your advise "Bit" If you were trying to IM me I'm sorry but it was being blocked. Not to commuter savy am didn't know how to crrrect
Old 03-15-08, 09:21 PM
rwdds
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

I get these, just occasionally, when it's in the low 30's or below outside. For whatever it's worth, this seems to be a common problem in colder climates... this taken only from many threads I've seen on this board in the last 2 months.

Try wedging a piece of small cloth or a section of an old sock in the space between the windshield and the dash. Sometimes a little lateral offset pressure will silence these noises until the dealer can tighten the dash down a bit.
Old 03-15-08, 11:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I had really high expectations of lexus as well. I am still in love , but I do realize there is no perfect car. The car will never leave you stranded, but these little problems exist. I think lexus should be concerned , bec alot of us who do buy these cars do expect perfection in design and production. I dont think after the car being the number 1 most reliable car for 12 or 13 yrs that its unresonable to expect this "perfection" as first time lexus buyers. After all the hardcore hype wouldnt you? All lexus is doing is making it more likely for its consumers to feel that the cars are not up to the hype therfore feeling like next time around they will take a look at another brand. I am pretty happy with mine, but I have had the dash ratttle and wind noise issue with my GS. I would buy another lexus, but only if infiniti doesnt have something that catches my eye. Lexus will have to work harder to earn my business next time around. A big part of the reasoning that alot us do when purchasing a lexus is related to the insane reliability, problem free ownership, and superior service quality. They better keep up the previous record or they are going to lose customers
Old 03-16-08, 12:21 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

hmm.....you should really get that check out because that might be an issue....
Old 03-16-08, 06:14 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask the dealership for a history of service on that car. See if some of the TSIBs related to rattles are fixed. i.e. window clip, rear view mirror, seat rail, etc. And also, have them show you proof that an insulation kit was indeed installed. For the car being a rental and you're the first real owner, I would expect NONE of these to have been performed on the car since no one probably had the car long enough and cared enough to demand these fixes. Anyways, if they can indeed reproduce a service history for all of the above, make an appointment with them anyway and have them take apart the dash to put more insulation since whatever they did was obviously not enough.

I just got this done last week and my 07, as of right now, has a rattle-free dash and I am very happy. You can do it too, like others have said, just be persistent but not rude. Good luck.
Old 03-16-08, 09:14 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Badgerbolt,

I also have an '06 GS300 AWD. My car's spent a lot of time at the dealer for fixing the noises. If your dealer's not up to it, find another dealer. Talk with the service manager. My dealer spent several days at 3-4 different occasions to fix the noises, and they never once objected to finding them, with or without a service campaign. That's the good news.

The bad news is even with the great deal of time spent on the noises, in cold weather (at about 38 degrees or less), some new noises still pop up. Since we live in a warmer climate and the car is garaged, this doesn't happen too often. With the warmer temperatures now the noises are mostly if not all gone. Since the colder temperatures are only for 1-2 months here, I've given up for now trying to improve it any further. I might give it another try next winter, before the warranty expires.

Other than the occasional noises, the car's reliability and quality is great. Just be persistent and patient with the dealer and you should be able to get the car's noises to be satisfactory. Not perfect, but something you can live with.
Old 03-16-08, 09:20 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you have ratles, go get them fixed.

i've come to live with them, since i know german cars rattle AND have electrical problems, AND cost a right ******** to fix
Old 03-16-08, 09:24 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sell the car, get a GS400 ;]
Old 03-16-08, 11:16 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Piling on what others have said. Find a dealer that will listen and make sure all the tech bulletins have been applied. From my experience, it's important to take it in when it's cold so when the rattles are more noticeable. I left my car outside the night before, took it in and drove it with the tech so we could agree on what i was hearing. It took more than one fix but the bottom line is they got it fixed. use the warranty period to get this stuff ironed out.
Old 03-16-08, 11:31 AM
ISmy350JDM
Pole Position

sorry 2 hear about that...hopefully gets fixed....but even with 11k...you gotta realize it was a rental...usually rentals get more abuse because the people know it isn't their car they just throw anything at it without a care because it is a rental.

i dunno though....LEXUS should have that fixed in any case.

Quick Reply: My 1st Lexus and I'm PISSED !!!!