GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

ML Package question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 05:31 PM
desitiger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML Package question

Is the ML package really worth it or is the pioneer system pretty good. Havent heard either and deciding should I go with the ML deal that I have gotten from the dealer or maybe get the Pioneer system. I dont care for the navigation but heard ML is really good. Any advice.
Old 04-01-08, 05:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if you get ML you get nav right?

imho, the ML is worth the extra, you get better audio, dvd playback, and some other extra

however, i do have to say as well, the ML isn't dramatically better than stock pioneer. it's better, but imho not "wow"
Old 04-01-08, 05:42 PM
desitiger
Driver School Candidate

Ya u gotta get the ml to have nav. I dont care for the nav or the dvd playback. My question is that is it really worth the sound quality to get the ml over the pioneer. Thanks.
Old 04-01-08, 06:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

to me it's still worth it, but on this car (gs) it's something i think you should listen for yourself to make the call (coz' i personally don't think the difference is THAT much)
Old 04-01-08, 06:26 PM
desitiger
Driver School Candidate

Thanks..I will do that.
Old 04-01-08, 07:41 PM
dk0515
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with rominl. The sound is better then regular but not to the point were you have to have it. You should take a cd that you want to listen to and play it in a GS with ML and without ML. See which you like.

On my previous car, I installed aftermarket subs, speakers, and 7" in-dash DVD player. All of that aftermarket electronics is a big hassle. You first have to find the right shop and price to buy from and install, then make sure it was installed right. Then sometimes you have electronic problems (1 speaker doesn't work, amp blows, and etc.).

In the end, I personally think it's worth having the stock ML/Nav. It looks great and you get little extras like bluetooth and backup camera. Buying and installing aftermarket sound systems is to much stress for me.
Old 04-01-08, 07:42 PM
rwdds
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got to 'chime' in, because there are so many different opinions about this issue. I purchased my GS BECAUSE of the ML system. It was by far, the best sounding stock automobile system I have ever heard. Now thats my opinion and every person out there is going to have their own. Personally, I have been playing with audiophile equipment from the days of stereo and quad set-ups for over 35 years. I've owned and tweaked early surround sound, pro-logic, dolby digital, DTS, DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD and all the newest formats and equipment, pretty much as soon as they have come on the market.

Currently in my home, I enjoy a moderately nice home theater in my basement with a THX certified, 7.1 surround sound audio system and enjoy surround sound theater set-ups in my den and bedroom. I installed surround sound theater set-ups in each of the operatories of my dental practice. The reception area has a dedicated, high-end theater with wide-screen plasma display and DVD movies playing constantly.

I have immersed myself in this crap and truthfully, most of it is 'smoke and mirrors'. It can be perceived in wildly different ways by different people and the entertainment level and enjoyment level you'll get is yours and yours alone. No matter what anybody tells you, you must test a GS with an ML unit or any other car capable of using DVD's with a DVD-Video/Audio disc that you are familiar with. Some type of music or band that you like has a disc that you will enjoy listening to... and a CD just won't cut it. The ML system is designed to promote DVD quality surround sound and does offer a tuned and fairly well balanced surround mix that can be EXTREMELY enjoyable with the right music.

Not to waste anybody's time any further... I LOVE my GS and it's ML, but that's me. If you don't love it, I have heard the new Jag has a great sound system...

BTW, my DVD changer is loaded with the following:

1) DVD-V "Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis" in Dolby Digital 5.1
2) DVD-V "Pulse/Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon" in Dolby Digital 5.1
3) DVD-V "Sting- Brand New Day" in DTS 5.1
4) DVD-A Santana's "Abraxas" in Dolby Digital 5.1
5) DVD-V "Chicago/Earth Wind & Fire concert" in DTS 5.1
6) DVD-A "Allman Bros- Live at the Filmore East" in Dolby Digital 5.1

These all sound amazing. Sorry for the long diatribe, but you have to hear all the sides...
Old 04-01-08, 08:18 PM
silver2000
Rookie

you can get Nav without ML
Old 04-01-08, 09:25 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

I got the ML for a few reason. Parking assit, DVD playback, etc. Its the package, thats why I got it.
Old 04-01-08, 11:21 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the ML package is the S@#$%!!!

theres not a day that goes by that i dont use the parking assist!

spend the money and get it..........
Old 04-01-08, 11:41 PM
SiccMonkey
Driver

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
I got the ML for a few reason. Parking assit, DVD playback, etc. Its the package, thats why I got it.
Originally Posted by 07350FROST
I think the ML package is the S@#$%!!!

theres not a day that goes by that i dont use the parking assist!

spend the money and get it..........
My thoughts exactly, i love my ML/Navi. on my 2nd Gen i always regreted not getting the Nakamichi. its one of those things that you really cant "add on later" at least not very easily or cheaply. The fact that you are considering it means that you will most likely regret it later if you dont get it.......
I say go for it!! you will not be disappointed
Old 04-02-08, 06:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You should really listen to both back to back, thats what I did. I could tell very little difference between the two while listening to the radio. My salesman pop in a CD and it did sound a little better. I then pop in one of my CD, they are MP3, no improvement. On some Lexus models, the ML sounds much better, but not on the GS.
Old 04-02-08, 06:24 AM
desitiger
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if you get the bluetooth feature without the ML.
Old 04-02-08, 06:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes you do get the bluetooth without the ML, I believe its part of teh Nav package.
Old 04-02-08, 03:29 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Couldn't agree more with Rwdds. ML doesn't do much for the casual listener with base media or those that crave big thumping bass. If you mostly listen to regular music CDs, don't bother with ML. If you mostly listen to classical music or have Dvd-A or play Dvds with surround sound, this is where the ML will truly shine. You won't hear 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound architecture on the base system, but it will blow you away on the ML system. Sure you can go AM and spend $$$ to truly upgrade the audio, but then again, will your AM installer warranty the system for 4yrs/50k miles like the factory ML ???

Quick Reply: ML Package question