GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Malfunctioning Rear Park Assists Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 04:57 AM
stefnee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Malfunctioning Rear Park Assists Sensors

I cannot seem to recreate this at the dealer and they said they have not had any complaints about it...

Well during my commute to work, there is one intersection with a red light camera. If I am the first car at the intersection, my front sensors go off. Annoying, but I am guessing it has to do with the camera. I have gotten used to Now it seems when I put the car in reverse the back passenger side sensor goes off. The first couple of times it did this, I got out of my car to check to see if something was on the sensor. Nothing on them, put the car in reverse and it happens again. This happens when it is nice and sunny, no rain or snow.

This does not happen all the time, just enough to cause a little surprise when backing up. Nothing like thinking you are about to back into something you cannot see.

Any ideas on what could cause this? Can the the dealership readjust the sensors?

Stefnee
Old 04-18-08, 05:50 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm.....I am not suer what is your problem, I have the same thing happen to me a few times but whenever I go out and wipe the sensor a few times it would not happen again so you might want to try that. In many cases it might just be the dust
Old 04-18-08, 06:24 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

funny i had this same thing yesterday for the rear sensors, i went to backout of my spot (car had been baking in 85 heat all day) and rear sensor told me there was something nearby, nothing. I ignored it and when I went home and retried reverse, it was fine again
Old 04-18-08, 02:15 PM
adhana2
Driver School Candidate

I have had the same problem for a while, the dealer can't replicate it.
Old 04-19-08, 05:36 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stefnee
I cannot seem to recreate this at the dealer and they said they have not had any complaints about it...

Well during my commute to work, there is one intersection with a red light camera. If I am the first car at the intersection, my front sensors go off. Annoying, but I am guessing it has to do with the camera. I have gotten used to Now it seems when I put the car in reverse the back passenger side sensor goes off. The first couple of times it did this, I got out of my car to check to see if something was on the sensor. Nothing on them, put the car in reverse and it happens again. This happens when it is nice and sunny, no rain or snow.

This does not happen all the time, just enough to cause a little surprise when backing up. Nothing like thinking you are about to back into something you cannot see.

Any ideas on what could cause this? Can the the dealership readjust the sensors?

Stefnee

Disclaimer.. I'm not recommending 'car abuse'. Having said that, when mine did it... I got out and kicked the bumper a couple of times.. hasn't done it since. That'll teach it!
Old 04-23-08, 09:55 AM
vandit23
Driver

Interesting...I had my right front sensor malfunction. Initially, it would go CRAZY without any obstacles nearby, and now it is ok, unless there is an obstacle now, and when there is, it is on the red no matter what the distance is...took it in to the dealer, and they are going to replace it...They told me that they tend to malfunction sometimes without any reason sometimes. Now I'm concerned if and when the others will malfunction, and what if my warranty runs out then??? Too much tech is BAD!!! Too many things that can go wrong...It may sound dishonest, but I would kick the sensor with a blunt tool, so that it doesn't look like it was hit...I'm concerned how much it will cost without warranty.
Old 04-23-08, 11:36 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vandit23
Interesting...I had my right front sensor malfunction. Initially, it would go CRAZY without any obstacles nearby, and now it is ok, unless there is an obstacle now, and when there is, it is on the red no matter what the distance is...took it in to the dealer, and they are going to replace it...They told me that they tend to malfunction sometimes without any reason sometimes. Now I'm concerned if and when the others will malfunction, and what if my warranty runs out then??? Too much tech is BAD!!! Too many things that can go wrong...It may sound dishonest, but I would kick the sensor with a blunt tool, so that it doesn't look like it was hit...I'm concerned how much it will cost without warranty.
it is annoying to say the least but if it malfunctions afger warranty period, you can simply turn it off for good - thank you lexus for that feature lol