GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Please help a new member! unsolvable rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 02:40 AM
ajl2121
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help a new member! unsolvable rattle

Hello everyone,

I'm new to your club, and have spent the past couple hours searching for some answers. I am hoping someone can help with my 06' gs300. I had problems with rattling from the driver's window, moon-roof, and the rear-deck area. The rattling noise in window and the moon-roof were fixed, but the rear-deck still persists itermittently.

I brought my vehicle in twice for the rear-rattle. It acts up much more when the weather is hot and the car had been parked in the sun for some time. It rarely makes noise when taken out from the garage. The service rep said she new exactly what the problem was...That it was the dried leather and that it needed to be conditioned. Sounded unlikely, but I said ok...Picked my car up, and it rattles out of the dealership. Next time, they test drive my car for 40 miles..yes, 40 miles! They take the roof panel off and did something, but it still persists.

I had a subwoofer installed, but when I take the vehicle in for service, I take the box out so that they have room to work around. With the box out, it still rattles.

What could it be? Any help would be great. I only have 10K miles left on the warranty, so I feel pressured to act fast.
Old 04-19-08, 11:30 AM
The Godfather
Lead Lap

Oh man that sucks. The rattles were the PRIMARY reason why I sold my GS. I couldn't stand it anymore!!
Old 04-19-08, 12:04 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

the small compartment between the seat and trunk has a little door. Is it latched? does it seem like it may be coming from that?
Old 04-19-08, 01:46 PM
ajl2121
Driver School Candidate

I checked the small access door. I even had a friend drive the car while I stuck my head in the rear deck area trying to zero in on the rattle (I got some awkward looks from other drivers). I coudn't pin-point the noise. It's just a click, click, click, noise. Similar to a plastic piece touching on some hard surface. I drove with both the sun-shade up and down during the times when it rattles, but it makes no difference.

The fact that warm weather triggers this annoyance could mean that something is expanding to touch something else, right?
Old 04-19-08, 03:40 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

is it the clips on the rear windows? i think there is a tsb for a click/tick noise for the rear windshield.
Old 04-19-08, 07:12 PM
ajl2121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlBoston
is it the clips on the rear windows? i think there is a tsb for a click/tick noise for the rear windshield.
Hate to sound like a complete neophyte on this forum...well, I am, but what does tsb stand for?

The sound could understandly be originating from the rear-windshield. This is good news, hopefully. Is this something I can fix myself relatively easily?

I brought the car to the dealership, and they did say they removed the headliner panel and replaced some clips.
Old 04-22-08, 03:00 PM
ajl2121
Driver School Candidate

Anyone? help...Please.
Old 04-22-08, 03:11 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajl2121
Anyone? help...Please.
TSB

Technical Service Bulletin
Old 04-23-08, 03:39 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I feel for you man... I've had my share of 'rattle' problems. I had an Acura RL with a rear deck rattle problem.. I diagnosed it by putting on some music with bass...and turning it up till it rattled... then I pushed different pieces of the rear deck, till I could silence it with pressure. Mine was in the rear headliner. You definitely need to localize it first (Which I know you've been trying to do). My sound turned out to be a wire to the center brake light which was vibrating. Take apart what you can... and buy yourself a can of silicone lube spray... it's safe on the plastic/vinyl/leather (unlike WD-40 type lubes).. spray the hell out of any joints around the speakers, window, brake light.
Old 04-23-08, 12:53 PM
ajl2121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whlkev
TSB

Technical Service Bulletin
So, the dealership will know when I tell them that there is a technical service bulletin about my rattling problem? OR, is that something I look up somewhere?
Old 04-23-08, 12:53 PM
ajl2121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
I feel for you man... I've had my share of 'rattle' problems. I had an Acura RL with a rear deck rattle problem.. I diagnosed it by putting on some music with bass...and turning it up till it rattled... then I pushed different pieces of the rear deck, till I could silence it with pressure. Mine was in the rear headliner. You definitely need to localize it first (Which I know you've been trying to do). My sound turned out to be a wire to the center brake light which was vibrating. Take apart what you can... and buy yourself a can of silicone lube spray... it's safe on the plastic/vinyl/leather (unlike WD-40 type lubes).. spray the hell out of any joints around the speakers, window, brake light.
I'm really hoping that the dealership can take care of it. If it comes down to it, however, I'll give it a try!
Old 04-23-08, 05:05 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the TSB describes a creaking noise from the back glass area, not a ticking noise. Anyhow, here is the TSB #: NV002-05.
Old 04-23-08, 08:59 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ajl, are you norcal or socal?

bring it back to the dealer until you get what you want, you paid enough for the car you should be thrilled with it.
Old 04-23-08, 09:51 PM
lexusgs408
Lead Lap

Yeah, take it back to the dealership and let them fix the problem.......
Old 04-24-08, 01:26 PM
ajl2121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think the TSB describes a creaking noise from the back glass area, not a ticking noise. Anyhow, here is the TSB #: NV002-05.
Well...It's really difficult to put in words what it sounds like exactly. But, "creaking," is definately something that could describe the noise. It sounds like something hard (like plastic, glass, or metal) is tapping or rubbing against another surface. I am hoping this will finally solve the problem.

I'm in Southern Ca...Tustin Lexus, Westminster, and Newport lexus are all within 30 minutes. Tustin seems to be the worst, although I have never visited Newport. I was planning on going to newport lexus, since I have never brought this issue up with them.

Quick Reply: Please help a new member! unsolvable rattle