GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Awful brake dust...free brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 07:57 AM
S. Pimpin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awful brake dust...free brakes!!!

Okay...if your 06 GS is anything like mine was then an hour after a car wash your front rims were black. I just went in for a service and went on a ride with one of the technicians to show him a rattle in the dash. On my walk back in with the tech, I asked him what I can do about the excessive brake dust on my front rims. He told me that he knew for the IS model, if you complain, they replace the pads with the newer low dust pads but wasn't sure about the GS. I went inside and complained and low and behold, an hour later I had brand new pads installed. I've had them for about 2 weeks and there is absolutely no dust at all!!! I highly recommend each of you complain and get your new pads. Let me know if this works at your dealership.
Old 04-28-08, 08:01 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by S. Pimpin
Okay...if your 06 GS is anything like mine was then an hour after a car wash your front rims were black. I just went in for a service and went on a ride with one of the technicians to show him a rattle in the dash. On my walk back in with the tech, I asked him what I can do about the excessive brake dust on my front rims. He told me that he knew for the IS model, if you complain, they replace the pads with the newer low dust pads but wasn't sure about the GS. I went inside and complained and low and behold, an hour later I had brand new pads installed. I've had them for about 2 weeks and there is absolutely no dust at all!!! I highly recommend each of you complain and get your new pads. Let me know if this works at your dealership.

There is a TSIB about this... and they should/WILL replace your brake pads because our GS's have the high friction brake pads which emit more brake dust than normal. They replace your pads with a pad that emits less brake dusts but supposedly it doenst stop as well? I dont know for sure but thats what i read on the TSIB.
Old 04-28-08, 08:26 AM
Stealth.GS
Rookie

I read about that but does this work for 2008 models?
Old 04-28-08, 08:28 AM
S. Pimpin
Driver School Candidate

so far i've only clipped 3 pedestrians which isn't that bad for 2 weeks, right? actually, the pads seem to be working as good if not better than my originals. highly recommend getting this done. is there a listing of other TSIBs somewhere? also, has anyone located the touchscreen sequence for a new 5.1/7.1 hybrid navigation disk?
Old 04-28-08, 08:29 AM
S. Pimpin
Driver School Candidate

not sure about the 08 models. i have an 06 GS430 and they didn't even put up a fight when i asked for the new pads.
Old 04-28-08, 08:53 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

yes it should work for the 08 MODELS... i plan on doing this soon.
Old 04-28-08, 09:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I already try it at the dealer, there is no TSB for the 08 pads
Old 04-28-08, 09:20 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup, nothing for the 08 yet. keep mentioning the dust problem at the dealer, and soon enough, there will be a TSIB for it.
Old 04-28-08, 09:45 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got this done about 2 weeks ago and it's been 3 weeks now and theres only been abit of dust in the corners of the wheels. I DEFINITELY like the new pads over the old ones, although i think the new pads don't bite as hard.
Old 04-28-08, 03:51 PM
gsownr
Driver School Candidate

Default Dustless bake pads?

Requested the brake dust TSIB at 3k miles. Dealer claimed to perform it but the dust is just as bad if not worse.
Old 04-29-08, 05:05 PM
dpaulyn
Driver School Candidate

My dealer changed the brakes no problem - even installed brand new rotors - the original brakes had 13,000 kilometres on them and the dust was infernal. Now hardly any dust at all and braking seems to be just fine (2007 GS350)
Old 04-29-08, 05:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't know, just ask them to apply 07 tsib.......

that's what i did...... 2 months ago. i haven't seen much dust for a long time
Old 04-29-08, 07:57 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

yea I agree, my brake has really bad brake dust and I will be checking that our real soon.....
Old 04-30-08, 12:15 PM
GGenovese
Rookie

Default I Love You Guys

I just called my Dealership I told them I need new pads due to dust and a TSIB I found on the internet and I now have an appointment for Monday morning for a pad exchange on Lexus. They did add that the new pads tend to be more squeaky. Does anyone think that I should put the stocks back on before bringing it to the dealer or will the aftermarket wheels be an issue?
Old 04-30-08, 12:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GGenovese
I just called my Dealership I told them I need new pads due to dust and a TSIB I found on the internet and I now have an appointment for Monday morning for a pad exchange on Lexus. They did add that the new pads tend to be more squeaky. Does anyone think that I should put the stocks back on before bringing it to the dealer or will the aftermarket wheels be an issue?
i really can't agree with the squeaking part. if they do it right by surfacing the rotors and then bed in the new pads, it will NOT squeak at all. mine are dead quiet

about the wheels, no one know how careful your dealership is. if you are not confident, swap it out first

Quick Reply: Awful brake dust...free brakes!!!