GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What OEM tire does Lexus use on the GS now? Summer tires that is.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 03:20 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What OEM tire does Lexus use on the GS now? Summer tires that is.

I have the Yokohama 245/40 18in. I'm trying to get Lexus to swap them. I figure I have better chances if I ask for a swap with a OEM. i heard about the Michelins PS2 245/40 18in, and trying to get those put on.
Old 04-30-08, 03:23 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yoko is part of the OEM too ya know

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=298027

any of those is a possibility.
Old 04-30-08, 03:32 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yup. Don't want the Yokos. I was hoping to get the Mich. But just wanted to be sure they are still using it as oems in the 2008 series so I won't hae any arguments.

Thanks on the link. I forgot about that one.
Old 04-30-08, 03:37 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by starstreak
Yup. Don't want the Yokos. I was hoping to get the Mich. But just wanted to be sure they are still using it as oems in the 2008 series so I won't hae any arguments.

Thanks on the link. I forgot about that one.
np, you'll be lucky if they are willing to change it after this long. When i asked for a free spare to go with my run flats, they told me to talk to the parts department and purchase one...

needless to say, I refuse to go to that dealer again
Old 04-30-08, 03:43 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Well they (Lexus) didn't agree. They said I had to talk to Yokohama about it. And that they had people complain and do tire swaps before. Mind you, I mentioned this back 6+ months ago, and they were like, nope never had a complaint. The tires are fine... So since then I've seen more and more people complain here so I went back at my 10k, I mentioned it again. Now I got a different answer.
While I doubt they will take my word for it that I was complaining at my 6 months mark, I hope they do considering all the other hassles they caused. They being Lexus. I'm hoping Yokohama guy listens to the Lexus serice manager. But we shall see.
I wasn't exspecting a perfect swap, but I was hoping to get a rating of about 20-25% wear. But I'm guessing they gonna quote something high like 60% wear because its 10k.

Wait. I never thought about before. In the GS350, is it a full spare or just one of those small spare tire?
Old 04-30-08, 03:49 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by starstreak
Well they (Lexus) didn't agree. They said I had to talk to Yokohama about it. And that they had people complain and do tire swaps before. Mind you, I mentioned this back 6+ months ago, and they were like, nope never had a complaint. The tires are fine... So since then I've seen more and more people complain here so I went back at my 10k, I mentioned it again. Now I got a different answer.
While I doubt they will take my word for it that I was complaining at my 6 months mark, I hope they do considering all the other hassles they caused. They being Lexus. I'm hoping Yokohama guy listens to the Lexus serice manager. But we shall see.
I wasn't exspecting a perfect swap, but I was hoping to get a rating of about 20-25% wear. But I'm guessing they gonna quote something high like 60% wear because its 10k.

Wait. I never thought about before. In the GS350, is it a full spare or just one of those small spare tire?
yokos CAN'T be that bad, but again, I can't stand a perfectly quiet car.

and GS doesn't come with full size spare, just a dinky little donut.
Old 04-30-08, 05:10 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Its pretty loud. And considering I don't "sport" drive or fly around corners or burnout and considering I think they gonna say I used 60% of the tire, thats pretty sad for a tire that they said should've lasted like 40k miles. I doubt it'll last to 20k. And I hit 10k in one year. I would hate to think if I lived on the mainland where some people hit 10k in like 7-8months. Ouch.

Originally Posted by whlkev
yokos CAN'T be that bad, but again, I can't stand a perfectly quiet car.

and GS doesn't come with full size spare, just a dinky little donut.
Old 05-01-08, 10:02 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Well I got an update from Yokohama, they agreed to swap out 3 and lexus agreed to do the last. I have to pay for the mounting and balancing of the tires. they said they will swap it for Toyo brand tires. Does anybody here know more about those tires? I had Toyos before when I had my Honda. From what I remember, it doesn't last long. Is there anything else bad? I didn't think they (Lexus) used Toyos.
Old 05-01-08, 11:30 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

I had the top of the line Toyo T1R on my old cars, i love them and being super low profile, I managed almost 40k out of them but they did however had a sidewall failure because i was slammed on coilsover and with the amount of negative camber I had, I am very suprised they lasted this long

the only down side? they are hard to find, very few major vendors carry Toyo in stock, america/discount tires don't carry them and little mom and pop shops do and of course they turn out to be very expensive.

since they are replacing those for you, then i guess you have no reason not to switch.
Old 05-01-08, 01:50 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Not really gonna argue at this point. I figure as long as it lasts a year or so, it would be comparable to one set of Mich. brand or something. I did ask if I could pick a different tire model if I would pay the differnce but I didn't get a answer yet. They did say I would need to mount and balance the new tires, which I understand.
Does anybody know what Lexus charges to remove and balance like 4 tires?

I wouldn't mind just getting the $300 (whatever they are getting for the tires) and going to Costco and ordering a set of something. Main reason is I don't trust Lexus. For those that remember my first trouble way back when I had my front brake pads redone, they chipped the rims when using the air gun.
Old 05-01-08, 04:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Yokohama Dunlop Michelin and Bridgestone are OE for the GS350/450h/460 for 2008. OEM Michelin is the Pilot Primacy HP, not to be confused with the PS/2 which is not OEM.
Old 05-01-08, 07:02 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

OK, that went over my head. So I'm guessing that means the Toyos is probaly something that the Hawaii Lexus can get at a discount. I hope they don't goo "cheap".
Old 05-02-08, 04:02 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sure it was a miss-quote, but they were gonna swap out my tires for: Toyo Versado 225 50x 17in. I'm not even sure how they would fit that on my 18in rims. I'm glad I asked about what tires was going on. I would've been ticked making the appointment and going down, only to find out they ordered the wrong size. Which, would've ended up costing them more in the long run.

Still waiting on if they will let me choose a tire.
Old 05-02-08, 04:27 PM
Stealth.GS
Rookie

I got dunlops don't remember the model tho.
Old 05-02-08, 05:01 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Got another email. They were going to offer the swap. But at a going rate of $130 per tire or so if I was going to buy the tire elsewhere. Must be the 17in they are quoting. I'll update as they reply.

Quick Reply: What OEM tire does Lexus use on the GS now? Summer tires that is.