GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Alignment Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 10:43 PM
mcyc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment Issue?

Is it normal to have the inner section of all 4 tires wear out faster than the other part of the tires? I have rotated the tires about 3 times so far. Could it have been caused by taking corners aggressively and thus wearing out the inner edges of the back tires or is it an alignment issue?
Old 05-03-08, 11:08 PM
SiccMonkey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you running stock suspension?
Old 05-04-08, 12:33 AM
speedie
Pole Position

Has your car been lowered? If so you are more than likely dealing with the result of negative camber..Get an alignment and have them adjust your camber settings to allow for more positive camber. This will reduce the speed of the tire wear but unfortunately won't stop it..
Old 05-04-08, 01:36 AM
mcyc
Rookie

I'm running stock suspension and have not lowered the car.
Old 05-04-08, 01:49 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Its normal to have wear on the tires on the inside, more so in the rear if the car is lowered. If not you may burn up the rears on the inside slightly. I am pretty sure you need an alignment. With the amount of rotating you did it should add life to the tires but if the alignment is bad the will have uneve wear.
Old 05-04-08, 12:30 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am glad you posted this as i was just about to create a thread about this. i took my car in for an oil change (25k miles) and i get a call from a dealer saying the tires in the front need to be replaced right away as the metal was sticking out. i told them not to do it bc im not too thrilled w/run flats and i didnt want them to put it on so i said, thanks and just do the oil change. when i go to pick up my car i start looking at the wheels and there is absolutley no wires sticking out. so i asked the tech what he was talking about on the phone and he said, well... the inside is wearing out and it the wires will stick out soon anyway, i asked why the inside wore out MUCH quicker than the rest of the tire, and his response was the following, "these cars are designed to have the inside of the tire wear out first" i didnt really get into any further of a conversation w/him but i found this statement to be troublesome... anyone else w/this problem?

EDIT: my car is 100% stock and always has been
Old 05-04-08, 01:06 PM
Flynlow
Rookie

You need an alignment. Tires aren't supposed to wear anything other than even. A good Tech. can "Read" your tires and make the proper adjustments to prolong your tire life.
Old 05-04-08, 04:55 PM
smokeganja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by varcity64
i am glad you posted this as i was just about to create a thread about this. i took my car in for an oil change (25k miles) and i get a call from a dealer saying the tires in the front need to be replaced right away as the metal was sticking out. i told them not to do it bc im not too thrilled w/run flats and i didnt want them to put it on so i said, thanks and just do the oil change. when i go to pick up my car i start looking at the wheels and there is absolutley no wires sticking out. so i asked the tech what he was talking about on the phone and he said, well... the inside is wearing out and it the wires will stick out soon anyway, i asked why the inside wore out MUCH quicker than the rest of the tire, and his response was the following, "these cars are designed to have the inside of the tire wear out first" i didnt really get into any further of a conversation w/him but i found this statement to be troublesome... anyone else w/this problem?

EDIT: my car is 100% stock and always has been
yeh im having the same problem too...i brought my car to get my alignment check up...they say nothing is wrong with my alignment...they say it could be the camber..they ask me did i lower my car before...i said no...then i brought my car to lexus dealer ship...they had an guy came out to check out my tires...they told me that all the GS wears out like this...im confuse need a little help CL...thankz
Old 05-04-08, 11:24 PM
smokeganja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smokeganja
yeh im having the same problem too...i brought my car to get my alignment check up...they say nothing is wrong with my alignment...they say it could be the camber..they ask me did i lower my car before...i said no...then i brought my car to lexus dealer ship...they had an guy came out to check out my tires...they told me that all the GS wears out like this...im confuse need a little help CL...thankz
a little help CL please ..asap..
Old 05-06-08, 10:23 AM
mcyc
Rookie

So what's the point of designing a car where the inside of the tires wear out faster?
Old 05-06-08, 10:32 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcyc
So what's the point of designing a car where the inside of the tires wear out faster?
it improves handling/grip while cornering, all BMW came with negative cambering from the factory, I'll never run 0 camber on any of my car.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=4

negative camber example on stock bmw for your info

Last edited by whlkev; 05-06-08 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-06-08, 10:33 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mcyc
The car isn't designed to wear the inner more. It's just the drawback of having factory negative camber with toe-in. You have toe-in for better straight line tracking and negative camber for more tire contact during cornering. But in the end, your wear should be almost evenly, unless the alignment is out of spec.
Old 05-07-08, 08:19 AM
Evel
Driver

I have an AWD GS300 with runflat Dunlops and 18" 5-spoke wheels from the GS-4. Within the first year of ownership Feb. 06 and Feb '07, I had to have my car aligned 4 times. At two weeks into ownerhip I complained to the dealer that the car seemed to drift (constaint steering wheel correction) and they kept saying tracking & etc was normal. At the one year mark with only 10K miles, I discovered inside wear on the front tires (had just rotated them) & I complained to Lexus Cust Svc. The sent me to the nearest Lexus Dealer where a Lexus District Mgr would be visting. The inspected the entire suspension system & concluded I was sold with a bad set of runflat tires. They replaced the entire set with new Dunlop runflats, aligned the car again, & I have not had the drifting problems since & I am experienceing even wear on the new set of tires, thus far, a year later. I'll know more next week, when I perform my next 5K mile svc as I approach 20K total miles, but only 10K miles on then new set of tires.
Old 05-10-08, 10:47 PM
mcyc
Rookie

I went to the dealership a couple days ago and they told me that the gs and the is have negative camber so the inside will wear out slightly faster. Apparently this is normal.
Old 05-12-08, 01:13 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evel
I have an AWD GS300 with runflat Dunlops and 18" 5-spoke wheels from the GS-4. Within the first year of ownership Feb. 06 and Feb '07, I had to have my car aligned 4 times. At two weeks into ownerhip I complained to the dealer that the car seemed to drift (constaint steering wheel correction) and they kept saying tracking & etc was normal. At the one year mark with only 10K miles, I discovered inside wear on the front tires (had just rotated them) & I complained to Lexus Cust Svc. The sent me to the nearest Lexus Dealer where a Lexus District Mgr would be visting. The inspected the entire suspension system & concluded I was sold with a bad set of runflat tires. They replaced the entire set with new Dunlop runflats, aligned the car again, & I have not had the drifting problems since & I am experienceing even wear on the new set of tires, thus far, a year later. I'll know more next week, when I perform my next 5K mile svc as I approach 20K total miles, but only 10K miles on then new set of tires.
I wish I would've done this a while back. When I first got my car I had alignment issues as well. It was re-alighned 2-3 times within the first month. I still have the Dunlops in storage.