GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

gs vs. bmw

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-08, 08:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I know what you mean, I tried and tried but fail to justify the extra $12000 for the BMW 535XI, beside the handling, everything else was better on the GS.
Old 05-07-08, 01:13 PM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfSleep
I agree with all the previous comments particularly better price, quality, reliability with the GS ... that being said, i do find that the stock 5-series handles much better in cornering than stock GS ...
I don't know about 5 series, but my previous was 645... I just got GS450h 3 months ago, and have to say I'm disappointed... a lot worse handling, squicky dashboard (in low temp), fake wood interior... seems to be taken from chrysler... This is my first lexus, and I'm not impressed...
Old 05-07-08, 01:17 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperpl
I don't know about 5 series, but my previous was 645... I just got GS450h 3 months ago, and have to say I'm disappointed... a lot worse handling, squicky dashboard (in low temp), fake wood interior... seems to be taken from chrysler... This is my first lexus, and I'm not impressed...
wood is 100% real btw, bmw's interior quality and material is NO WHERE near Lexus.

All Lexus wood trim is genuine and procured from sustainable sources;[41] each wood inlay in a single vehicle is selected from the same tree for a consistent appearance. Console wood is bird's eye maple from sustainable plantations in Canada and it's finished by piano-building craftsmen at Yamaha.

again, people don't buy Lexus for handling, if you think your 645 is more comfortable than your lexus, then you can be disappointed.

watch this video, it'll make you appreciate your lexus a lot more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rA9qOdyEYs
Old 05-07-08, 01:32 PM
mcukier
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's called a test-drive... maybe you should take one before purchasing your next automobile... :-)

None of the things you've mentioned are things that wouldn't be immediately apparent on your first drive (excpet for the squeaks... but those can be fixed by the dealer).

Why the heck did you plunk down for a lexus in the first place???
Old 05-07-08, 01:35 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcukier
It's called a test-drive... maybe you should take one before purchasing your next automobile... :-)
Ha, great point.
Old 05-07-08, 01:50 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

I like BMW's, I have had a lot, but the quality, luxury and bang for the buck is what I wanted when I bought my Lexus.

The BMW is indeed the ultimate driving machine, but when you talk about stop and go traffic, give me my GS and the extra 15K to buy my ducati!!! Now that is the ultimate driving machine!

As for going from a 645 to a GS, I wouldn't do it, but we are also talking apples and oranges! That is definetly where a test drive comes in.
Old 05-07-08, 05:43 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whlkev
lol, I agree, my bro has the 5 series and the only thing i like about that car is the way it drives and nothing else, if my GS handles like his 5, then that will be my perfect car.
Yeah, but if it did handle like his 5, you'd be complaining about the rough and noisy ride etc. etc. -

We're not on the race track! - We're driving around with our babes, listening to the fine stereo. Let the BMW guys play Nascar, while we're out with their girlfriends
Old 05-07-08, 06:13 PM
smokeganja
Driver School Candidate

stop hating ...lolz bmw might have more handling then the lexus but when it comes to long lasting ...lexus all the way....thats why BMW stand for break my wallet...
Old 05-07-08, 07:41 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Yeah, but if it did handle like his 5, you'd be complaining about the rough and noisy ride etc. etc. -

We're not on the race track! - We're driving around with our babes, listening to the fine stereo. Let the BMW guys play Nascar, while we're out with their girlfriends
nah... I was a bmw-4-life type of guy or I thought I was, then they disappoint me greatly on all these new models design, so I left for good

I WANT rough ride, engine noise, road feel, without it, it just doesn't seem FUN to drive, I am sure Henry agrees

don't get me wrong, I LOVE the GS, just can't wait to mod it to my liking.

*LOL on the gf part, I am sure the guys on the BMW forum would say otherwise
Old 05-07-08, 08:44 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev
wood is 100% real btw, bmw's interior quality and material is NO WHERE near Lexus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rA9qOdyEYs

wtf. i didn't know the wood was that thin. it's like paper!
stuck on aluminum backing.
I guess it resists warping better

so the high cost of wood trim must be in the hand assembly?
Old 05-07-08, 09:11 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
wtf. i didn't know the wood was that thin. it's like paper!
stuck on aluminum backing.
I guess it resists warping better

so the high cost of wood trim must be in the hand assembly?
yeah they have to throw out the thick pieces as trash.

just a thought... how much homework did you do if you didn't cross-shop the 3GS and the BMW 5 series...
Old 05-07-08, 11:01 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Really not feeling the new BMW designs... I never really liked the interior of a BMW... IMO, LEXUS just seems to make their interior more luxurious and comfortable (like driving a sofa) haha.
Old 05-07-08, 11:03 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by smokeganja
stop hating ...lolz bmw might have more handling then the lexus but when it comes to long lasting ...lexus all the way....thats why BMW stand for break my wallet...
Break My Wallet... Thats funny! They are definitely more expensive if you want to buy it out right but leasing them would be cheaper than leasing a Lexus...
Old 05-08-08, 06:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus always had a edge over BMW as far as interior design, but BMW use to look better than Lexus on the outside until now. People who think the GS has fake wood interior oboviously havent done their homework. A lot of people just buy a BMW because of its name.
Old 05-08-08, 08:34 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vietdeluxx
Break My Wallet... Thats funny! They are definitely more expensive if you want to buy it out right but leasing them would be cheaper than leasing a Lexus...
I personally prefer Bring Me Women

Quick Reply: gs vs. bmw