GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

gs vs. bmw

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 01:29 AM
smokeganja
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gs vs. bmw

people say that the GS compare to the 5 series bmw ...is that true ???
Old 05-05-08, 01:39 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much. Just like the IS~3 series and the LS~7 series
Old 05-05-08, 08:47 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and the a6 and the E class..

what's not true about it? each models should have a similar competitors in the markets.
Old 05-05-08, 10:12 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

yup it is pretty true, I have seen a video clip at our local BMW dealer and they had a short contest between the GS and the 5, and it was very interesting, they said that at a straight GS and 5 are real close, it all came down the the corner that is when BMW 5 just destroy the GS....lol
Old 05-05-08, 10:17 AM
LexFather

The GS has been 5 competition since 1993.
Old 05-05-08, 10:18 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

But the GS destroys the BMW in price, styling, interior, instruments and controls, reliability and luxury. I think its a shame what BMW did to the 5 and 7 series in their last re-design. They took a perfectly good design and made it an eye sore. I think even BMW realized that and design the new 335 to be more down to earth.
Old 05-05-08, 01:23 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
But the GS destroys the BMW in price, styling, interior, instruments and controls, reliability and luxury. I think its a shame what BMW did to the 5 and 7 series in their last re-design. They took a perfectly good design and made it an eye sore. I think even BMW realized that and design the new 335 to be more down to earth.
definitely price. styling, interior, instruments, and controls are arguable/personal preference.

I personally like the 3 and 5, but not so much the 7. however, I know some people who love the 7.
Old 05-05-08, 06:57 PM
HalfSleep
Rookie

I agree with all the previous comments particularly better price, quality, reliability with the GS ... that being said, i do find that the stock 5-series handles much better in cornering than stock GS ...
Old 05-05-08, 09:12 PM
SiccMonkey
Driver

Originally Posted by HalfSleep
I agree with all the previous comments particularly better price, quality, reliability with the GS ... that being said, i do find that the stock 5-series handles much better in cornering than stock GS ...
i dunno about a base 5 series handling better than a base GS, the base 5 series to me felt terrible, now a sport package equipped 5 series is probably a differernt story.
Old 05-05-08, 09:42 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SiccMonkey
i dunno about a base 5 series handling better than a base GS, the base 5 series to me felt terrible, now a sport package equipped 5 series is probably a differernt story.
really surprised you said that, bmw is light years ahead of lexus in terms of handling. My X5 handles better than my GS

people with lexus already complain about harsh rides, imagine when lexus tune their suspension to be in par with the germans, o.. the endless complaints

we don't buy lexus for handling just like we don't buy bmw for comfort, eash has its own strength and doing just fine in its own segment of the market.

Last edited by whlkev; 05-05-08 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-06-08, 12:41 AM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the GS over the 5 series.. The GS seems to be more lux for me especially the inside!
Old 05-06-08, 01:02 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I agree with Kev, I think that BMW does have a very big advantage on handling over the Lexus, just like how people compare the IS-F and the new M3, it seems like the IS-F has all the advantage except for the handling. However, Lexus can not really do much because that is how they set their image before which is being a very luxury and comfort cars, so for them to go on to a new direction it will be a few years and a lot of complains from the previous owners. But I believe that one day they will eventually find the Hybrid solution to combine both luxury and handling. well....at least I hope.
Old 05-06-08, 01:22 AM
SiccMonkey
Driver

Originally Posted by whlkev
really surprised you said that, bmw is light years ahead of lexus in terms of handling. My X5 handles better than my GS

people with lexus already complain about harsh rides, imagine when lexus tune their suspension to be in par with the germans, o.. the endless complaints

we don't buy lexus for handling just like we don't buy bmw for comfort, eash has its own strength and doing just fine in its own segment of the market.
in all fairness to the 5 series the only time i have ever driven one was as at a taste of lexus event... who knows maybe it had been "tampered" with
Old 05-06-08, 05:16 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kyang91
I believe that one day they will eventually find the Hybrid solution to combine both luxury and handling. well....at least I hope.
Car manufacturers already found a Hybrid solution, its the new generation of electronic active suspensions. Its supposed to be much faster than the old mech. system and rides smooth on straight road and turns on a dime. The Japanese is ahead in this technology as far implementation is concern and as always, the Japanese can do it for much cheaper than the Germans.
There is no question in my mind that the 5 series handles better than the GS, I just test drove them back to back 2 months ago. Unfortunately for the BMW, handling was the only advantage the 5 series had over the GS. The GS has many advantage over the 5 series.
Old 05-06-08, 08:32 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Car manufacturers already found a Hybrid solution, its the new generation of electronic active suspensions. Its supposed to be much faster than the old mech. system and rides smooth on straight road and turns on a dime. The Japanese is ahead in this technology as far implementation is concern and as always, the Japanese can do it for much cheaper than the Germans.
There is no question in my mind that the 5 series handles better than the GS, I just test drove them back to back 2 months ago. Unfortunately for the BMW, handling was the only advantage the 5 series had over the GS. The GS has many advantage over the 5 series.
lol, I agree, my bro has the 5 series and the only thing i like about that car is the way it drives and nothing else, if my GS handles like his 5, then that will be my perfect car.

Quick Reply: gs vs. bmw