GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Engine Noise Upon Start-Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 09:18 AM
costanza
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my '06 gs300 sometimes had a loud noise at startup. dealer replaced something dealing with the starter.
Old 05-10-08, 10:30 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
this reminds me.

we need a tsib sticky!
I second that.
Old 03-15-10, 03:08 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by costanza
my '06 gs300 sometimes had a loud noise at startup. dealer replaced something dealing with the starter.
can you let me know what they replaced? Have the service record? I need to get mine replaced.
Old 03-15-10, 03:57 PM
B2001AS
Driver

I have some loud grinding or clanging sound when start up the car before. Brought in to delaer, and they couldn't replicate the noise, so they didn't do anything.
Old 03-15-10, 06:31 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Mine is an 06 GS300 and I have what sounds like a valve tap at cold start. I hear it until the car starts to warm up. I'm not to worried as the car has 5 years and about 75000 miles of warranty left as a CPO with extended warranty. But, I am going to bring it to the dealers attention.
Old 03-15-10, 08:07 PM
autobacks
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have definitely experienced this noise at start up.

I asked that they record my complaints. I did this on two separate occasions.

This is because they said that there was no TSB and that they could not replicate the problem.

My response was to them was...."okay but I want you to know that if I incur this problem after warranty, I expect Lexus to fix it because I'm telling you that I've heard this and it is somewhat unbelievable that for a $45,000 automobile that I keep hearing noises that I never heard on a $15,000 honda civic" Somehow the response that "oh that is normal" doesn't quite cut it. It maybe normal that it happens but the point is it shouldn't for a car of this price.

By definition, when you sell a car like this, it is for a very discerning customer. You have chosen to sell to a very picky customer base who are going to expect a higher level of build quality and fit and finish......If Lexus wants to play in this space they have to up their game to justify the higher price point of the car
Old 03-15-10, 08:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I had my cam gear TSIB done and the car had been silent ever since. I recommend it to anyone with this issue
Old 03-15-10, 09:38 PM
nickeltime
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ingoodtime
Mine is an 06 GS300 and I have what sounds like a valve tap at cold start. I hear it until the car starts to warm up. I'm not to worried as the car has 5 years and about 75000 miles of warranty left as a CPO with extended warranty. But, I am going to bring it to the dealers attention.
I also have a CPO 06 GS 300. Engine sounds like a bit of clatter even after warm up. I took it to the dealer. Dealer said it sounded normal. Our F250 Ford truck idles more quite than our GS LOL!
Old 03-16-10, 10:26 AM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nickeltime
I also have a CPO 06 GS 300. Engine sounds like a bit of clatter even after warm up. I took it to the dealer. Dealer said it sounded normal. Our F250 Ford truck idles more quite than our GS LOL!
Funny. When I showed some friends the car at work, they were like, I'll bet that puppy is so smooth and quiet. Well, um, not quite as smooth and quiet as it looks. Mind you, I am not complaining because I drove it before I bought it and it sure has way more luxury and quiet than the car it replaced which was not a luxury car. But, it goes to show what people expect when they see the Lexus nameplate and the GS does look luxurious and quiet. However, we do get some road noise, some wind noise etc. The only car I have ever been in that exhibited extreme quiet was a relatives Suburu XVS which I think was from the early/mid 1990's. That car had no wind noise and was so quiet.I can't tell you the number of times the starter was engaged while the car already running. You would maybe get out at a store and leave your passengers in the car, come back out and turn the freaking key again forgetting the car was already running. Now, that was the good quality part. Alas, the car had some areas under the hood that rotted out and also had some all wheel drive tranny issues with the clutches (wet clutches?). So, nothing is perfect. To bad huh?
Old 03-17-10, 03:17 AM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

sigh.. i brung my car in before my warranty was over and they couldn't replicate the problem so they can't fix it.... now my warranty is over they won't fix it and the noise is ugly.. soo if u have the problem u have to replicate it when ur with a advisor if not they won't fix it... soo dumb... so much tsb for my car but can't get it fixed... cheap service they needa fix that
Old 03-31-10, 11:37 PM
apro4567
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mel's-gs
I did a search but didn't see anything regarding 07's; if I missed it, sorry. Last evening, when I started the car, there was an extremely loud clanking noise. It was horrible. I said, "Is that my car?" Which was a stupid question (I seem to have a lot of those these days ), because we were in our own garage. Then I remember that I heard the same thing about a month or two ago. It's grinding and/or like metal cans clanking together. Any ideas? Thank you.
Same thing happened to me, I just remembered it was the Cam Gear that they fixed on my 06' 300. I think they also did something with a gasket. THey replaced in excess of 15 parts... was there for over a week. Lexus' noises are getting annoying.
Old 04-22-10, 10:43 PM
suyoungman
Driver School Candidate

Had mine done awhile back for my '07, and now the problem's back. Taking it in tomorrow and hoping that they can replicate the problem as my warranty is almost over soon. Think showing them the video clip from YouTube will work?
Old 04-22-10, 11:46 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs350Lola
sigh.. i brung my car in before my warranty was over and they couldn't replicate the problem so they can't fix it.... now my warranty is over they won't fix it and the noise is ugly.. soo if u have the problem u have to replicate it when ur with a advisor if not they won't fix it... soo dumb... so much tsb for my car but can't get it fixed... cheap service they needa fix that

the proper way is to have them document on your record that you came in with this reported issue, even though they were not able to duplicate it.

that way, if your warranty expires, you can reference them to the pre-existing problem, and persuade lexus to fix it.

if that doesn't work, just call lexus HQ. Should make no difference to toyota. It's a known problem. And usually lexus is good about customer service
Old 03-04-11, 01:48 PM
mydawgz
Driver School Candidate

I have an 06 GS300 with 60k. I had the noise right after start up.. almost sounded like the car idled up really high at first then back down after just a few seconds and it had a little rattle noise to it. The dealership has it now and they are replacing my cam sprocket under warranty. (thank goodness under warranty because it would have been a very expensive job). The only other big issue that I had was condensation started backing up inside the rear passenger side..(puddle of water back there). That was fixed under warranty too. I have been lucky but getting nervous with the warranty ending..
Old 03-04-11, 04:40 PM
maxtcee
Driver

i have the same thing on my 06 300 happens every couple of months loud rattleing at start i even remember it happened in the summer so i dont think it has to do with the cold

Quick Reply: Engine Noise Upon Start-Up