GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DAMN: Lowered on Eibachs + AWD = Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 02:07 PM
K5KRAZIE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this happening when your driving or just sitting still???
Old 05-19-08, 02:21 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Even when my suspension was stock; while the engine was ruuning in Drive or Reverse (full brakes at a stop light), my car idled and still idles rougher than the 2WD. This is where I notice the slight vibration. My wife use to drive the car alot and she didn't notice the rogh idle before or after the NF210's.

When I replaced my stock springs with the Tanabe NF210's I did not notice the idle get any better or worse. The Lexus technicians said that the rougher idle on the AWD compared to the 2WD was normal.
Old 05-23-08, 01:40 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Vibration on a stock GS300/350 AWD have been noticed and documented somewhere else on this forums. I remember seeing them in the past but havn't searched lately. It appears there is another GS350AWD owner who does experience the vibration at idle:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...6&#entry218406
If you do a google search for AWD vibration you'll find a few other situations where other cars have vibration issues.
Old 05-31-08, 07:56 PM
spider_55
Driver

Tanabe NF210's were installed on my 350 AWD and I do not have any vibration issues or the AFS flashing light. The ride feels more bouncy on the highway when I hit dips or bumps, but other than that it's all good.

The wheel gap and ride height is perfect for me, considering the 4x4 AWD look I used to have.

Just thought I'd update this thread and let others know that Nardeezy was right when he mentioned lowering the AWD with Tanabe has nothing to do with his vibration issues. I lowered mine before adding my new wheels so I was sure I could confirm his statement.
Old 06-01-08, 06:31 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After logging about 800+ miles on lowered AWD and 19" wheels, the vibrations seems to have lightened up a little, but is still there. the TOM's 19" wheels and low profile tires do make the cars ride amplify the road vibrations. It does get annoying but I can sacrifice the road noise for looks and performance. I have taken the car upto 80-85mph on bursts on the HWY and there is no vibrations or wobble or anything related to the AWD and lowering. I drove the car lowered on stock wheels for 2 weeks, then swapped to 19" last week.

Perhaps its related to temperature as well as it was a balmy 83*F here today in NYC.

Car now drives like it should have from the factory.
Old 06-02-08, 10:39 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spider_55
Tanabe NF210's were installed on my 350 AWD and I do not have any vibration issues or the AFS flashing light. The ride feels more bouncy on the highway when I hit dips or bumps, but other than that it's all good.

The wheel gap and ride height is perfect for me, considering the 4x4 AWD look I used to have.

Just thought I'd update this thread and let others know that Nardeezy was right when he mentioned lowering the AWD with Tanabe has nothing to do with his vibration issues. I lowered mine before adding my new wheels so I was sure I could confirm his statement.
Thanks, it's nice to hear that there are others with a similar setup. I think I just need my wheels/tires balanced and car aligned at a good shop. ALso, it could be the Dunlops.
Old 06-02-08, 10:41 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by B.Diddy
After logging about 800+ miles on lowered AWD and 19" wheels, the vibrations seems to have lightened up a little, but is still there. the TOM's 19" wheels and low profile tires do make the cars ride amplify the road vibrations. It does get annoying but I can sacrifice the road noise for looks and performance. I have taken the car upto 80-85mph on bursts on the HWY and there is no vibrations or wobble or anything related to the AWD and lowering. I drove the car lowered on stock wheels for 2 weeks, then swapped to 19" last week.

Perhaps its related to temperature as well as it was a balmy 83*F here today in NYC.

Car now drives like it should have from the factory.
Are your wheels staggered?
Old 06-02-08, 01:52 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

yes..... 19x8.5 19x9.5 Falken FK452 tires. (road noise is a bit much on 35/30 series tires)

Last edited by B.Diddy; 06-02-08 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 03:32 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

yes..... 19x8.5 19x9.5 Falken FK452 tires. (road noise is a bit much on 35/30 series tires)

Cool, not only is your car lowered but you're rolling a staggered setup as well! I would bet that your vibration issues is most likely due to wheel/tire balancing. This is good! We should track all of the AWD owners who have either a lowered and/or a staggered setup. For me, I think my vibration is due to wheel/tire balancing.
Old 06-02-08, 07:27 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

Get the wheels rebalance.
Old 06-03-08, 07:28 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

well... this is why I lowered the car and retained the stock wheels for testing purposes. I had the slight vibrations with OEM stock wheels (1400 miles on them)
Old 06-12-08, 05:49 PM
Evel
Driver

Nardeezy & All,
I believe you may have been referring to me concerning the vibration, when in Drive or Reverse (with foot on brakes at traffic lights & stop signs). As Nardeezy said, its rough idle & is normal for AWD models per my local Lexus dealer service tech. The vibration started on mine immediately after I received my complimentary oil change/check at the first 30-days of ownership. Prior to that complimentary svc, the engine idle was smooth as butter, then vibration I could feel in the seat, steering wheel, & door sill, when resting my arm on the door. I noticed the engine idle smoothes out to normal, when I turn the AC on, but vibrates (rough idle) when the AC is off or just running the fan without the AC on. Perhaps the lowered profile (new springs) & larger wheels are amplifying the vibration. I still have not lowered my GS300AWD, but I check the Forum a few times a month to collect data on the experiences of those who have. I'll probably squeeze the trigger later this year or early next year...hoping an official AWD spring solution is brought to market by someone. Keep feeding the data for us AWD owners who have not yet taken the lowering plunge.
Old 06-18-08, 07:57 AM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

Let me be a little more clear. I do NOT get vibrations when I am driving. Its just a bit noisy from the lower profile tires. there is obviously more noise feedback.

The slight vibrations I was getting was in PARK at cold start. I think that it is temperature related.
Old 07-16-08, 07:22 PM
B.Diddy
Lexotic Concepts

OK Problem FIXED.....

I removed the left unit. I cleaned and reseated the spring. I put a little lithium grease on the the rubber bushings. on the base of the shock and the top of the strut bearing. I was careful to align the notches on the rubber bushings with the ends of the spring. I then retightened the 17mm locknut by hand until firm, then I slowly uncoiled the spring compressor and made sure the spring seated correctly. I then reassembled the suspension and took it out for a test drive. i went thru... several decent potholes that gave me the clank. NO MORE NOISE. Car drives silent like OEM again.

LESSON LEARNED: Take your time and make sure things fit properly before reassembly.
Old 07-18-08, 09:11 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

OK Problem FIXED.....

I removed the left unit. I cleaned and reseated the spring. I put a little lithium grease on the the rubber bushings. on the base of the shock and the top of the strut bearing. I was careful to align the notches on the rubber bushings with the ends of the spring. I then retightened the 17mm locknut by hand until firm, then I slowly uncoiled the spring compressor and made sure the spring seated correctly. I then reassembled the suspension and took it out for a test drive. i went thru... several decent potholes that gave me the clank. NO MORE NOISE. Car drives silent like OEM again.

LESSON LEARNED: Take your time and make sure things fit properly before reassembly.
Interesting! This is something that only the owner of the vehicle would do. A shop would not go through this great of care. Nice to know though.

Quick Reply: DAMN: Lowered on Eibachs + AWD = Vibration