GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DAMN: Lowered on Eibachs + AWD = Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-08, 11:11 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Hey, you are totally right. However, the road force balance can say that the wheel is in spec even if there is some degree of variance in the lateral and radial run out, but bear in mind that Lexus are totally sensitive to the wheel roundness and may require even more narrow degree range of how much runout u can have for radial or lateral. Road force balance will still pass since the tire is a major contributor to the force while the wheel mainly acts neutral when turning mainly. Thus, if you try to look at your rim, find the rim with the lowest balancing weight and look at the rim with the highest balancing weight. Consider replacing the rim with the highest balancing weights out of the 4 first and try to see if the vibration minimizes, it might really work. Hope you find the defective wheel or 2 if possible.
Radial runout, what do you mean? Also, replace the rim with the highest balancing weights, what do you mean by this?
Old 08-23-08, 07:41 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nardeezy
Radial runout, what do you mean? Also, replace the rim with the highest balancing weights, what do you mean by this?

So, for radial runout that means in a perfect circle, there is a range of deviation that can be allowed for a car to tolerate. So, meaning some wheels are made with poor runout meaning they are not "perfectly" round and some part of that circle is a bit "flat" causing vibration. In terms of balancing weights, if you take a look at lets say a 20 inch rim, that rim should be "perfectly" balanced on a machine ALONE without the tire. It should not have to require any weight itself. When you put the tire on, it will barely make a difference in the balancing since the tire itself is SO THIN that it will be 1/8ths of the entire assembly. If you were to take a 17 inch rim from a mercedes SUV, the tire itself is HUGE while the rim is smaller, thus the tire will CONTRIBUTE to the assembly as a whole in terms of balancing since its so thick and can move side to side on the wheel, so we need more weights to balance the assembly. Thats why its important for larger rims to be perfect themselves since they are majority of the tire/wheel assembly rather then the tire alone. As for road force balancing, thats important to determine if the tire itself is purely round and gives even force when rotation, it doesn't really help us determine of the rim is bad, only the tire.

I hope this didn't overwhelm you but it will help you. ; )
Old 08-23-08, 08:26 AM
KIEUGS3
Driver

[QUOTE=Rexus300;3776939] In terms of balancing weights, if you take a look at lets say a 20 inch rim, that rim should be "perfectly" balanced on a machine ALONE without the tire. It should not have to require any weight itself. When you put the tire on, it will barely make a difference in the balancing since the tire itself is SO THIN that it will be 1/8ths of the entire assembly.

REXUS300: are you saying that 20" rims should have NO wieghts mounted on the rims?

I just purchased a BRAND new set of 20" Auto Couture Latives and dropped them off to the tire shop to mount and balance them.
When I got them back, I looked on the inside of the rim and there were a bunch of weights that the tireshop installed onto the rim itself.(My rims are 3 piece) they had a section of weights on the inside barrel, and another section of weights on the opposite side on the outside barrel of the rim.

Is this normal for the tire shop to add weights?
Thanks
Old 08-23-08, 10:19 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=KIEUGS3;3777000]
In terms of balancing weights, if you take a look at lets say a 20 inch rim, that rim should be "perfectly" balanced on a machine ALONE without the tire. It should not have to require any weight itself. When you put the tire on, it will barely make a difference in the balancing since the tire itself is SO THIN that it will be 1/8ths of the entire assembly.

REXUS300: are you saying that 20" rims should have NO wieghts mounted on the rims?

I just purchased a BRAND new set of 20" Auto Couture Latives and dropped them off to the tire shop to mount and balance them.
When I got them back, I looked on the inside of the rim and there were a bunch of weights that the tireshop installed onto the rim itself.(My rims are 3 piece) they had a section of weights on the inside barrel, and another section of weights on the opposite side on the outside barrel of the rim.

Is this normal for the tire shop to add weights?
Thanks

Ah, well, since a 3piece rim is different from a 1 sold piece rim, it may require more weights, but since you have no vibration, you are fine.
Old 08-23-08, 10:55 AM
KIEUGS3
Driver

[QUOTE=Rexus300;3777191]
Originally Posted by KIEUGS3

Ah, well, since a 3piece rim is different from a 1 sold piece rim, it may require more weights, but since you have no vibration, you are fine.
Well I just picked up my rims, but have not installed them yet, I'm waiting for my Tein CS to be installed. I hope I dont get any vibrations, and will post my outcome when the wheels are on.
Old 08-23-08, 01:08 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=KIEUGS3;3777249]

Well I just picked up my rims, but have not installed them yet, I'm waiting for my Tein CS to be installed. I hope I dont get any vibrations, and will post my outcome when the wheels are on.
If you can, tell me how many ounces of weight total per rim did they use. Some will have less and some will have more.
Old 08-23-08, 06:15 PM
KIEUGS3
Driver

[QUOTE=Rexus300;3777500]
Originally Posted by KIEUGS3

If you can, tell me how many ounces of weight total per rim did they use. Some will have less and some will have more.
Each piece weighs 1/4 ounce.

Front Wheel 1 = 34 pcs
Front Wheel 2 = 29 pcs

Rear Wheel 1 = 22 pcs
Rear Wheel 2 = 13pcs

They are all mounted in all different places on the inside of the rim.