GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

[B]Event Data Recorder (Black Box)[/B]

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 01:41 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperpl
Speeding path???? Are you saying driving up to 5mph over the speed limit should automatically make me guilty of the accident instead of careless blind dude???? In this case we should all forget about mods to our cars, and stay pure stock. Adding 19" wheels with 30 profile will increase your real speed by 2.2mph. What about that my friend? Should custom wheels make you guilty? I'm pretty much sure your EDR would show the wheel speed instead of "real" speed, but if you are talking about morales here then you should tell judge your speedometer is not accurate...
I think EDR's are good for drivers that go 50mph on the left lane...

it actually doesnt increase your speed, it just throws the speedometer off. if you get the right size tire though then its not a problem. i see what your mean though for some people who have smaller tires.
Old 05-20-08, 01:49 PM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
it actually doesnt increase your speed, it just throws the speedometer off. if you get the right size tire though then its not a problem. i see what your mean though for some people who have smaller tires.
I actually did measure increase in speed... seriously
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit
Old 05-20-08, 02:27 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speeding path???? Are you saying driving up to 5mph over the speed limit should automatically make me guilty of the accident instead of careless blind dude???? In this case we should all forget about mods to our cars, and stay pure stock. Adding 19" wheels with 30 profile will increase your real speed by 2.2mph. What about that my friend? Should custom wheels make you guilty? I'm pretty much sure your EDR would show the wheel speed instead of "real" speed, but if you are talking about morales here then you should tell judge your speedometer is not accurate...
I think EDR's are good for drivers that go 50mph on the left lane...
It depends who was at fault. If you had a data recorder in your car it could help the situation but by pulling it there leaves some doubts.
It's hard to make a judgement on a hypothetical situation. If you're speeding and hit someone coming out of a driveway then he becomes a "careless blind dude"??
Take some accountibility, if you mod your car (and you're worried about 2.2MPH) then drive 2.2 MPH slower!

You dont seem concerned that this "black box" is an invasion of privacy (or you would have made mention of that in your initial post) rather than the fact of it making you "guilty of an accident and raise your insurance premiums"

I think EDR's were developed not for people that drive 50 in the fast lane. I think they were developed for people trying to get out of accidents and blaming the other guy.
Old 05-20-08, 03:54 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Plus you need to take a look at your insurance policy too. Insurers obviously know these "black boxes" are in cars now a days. As such, the will have language in your binder regarding them. The language could [read: more than likely] include a clause excluding coverage if the black box is removed or tampered with.

Furthermore, w/ all the extensive electronics in vehicles these days, it would take (at least) one smart EE to rewire everything to even get the car to start let alone drive w/ the "black box(es)" removed
Old 05-20-08, 08:19 PM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by trusso
It depends who was at fault. If you had a data recorder in your car it could help the situation but by pulling it there leaves some doubts.
It's hard to make a judgement on a hypothetical situation. If you're speeding and hit someone coming out of a driveway then he becomes a "careless blind dude"??
Take some accountibility, if you mod your car (and you're worried about 2.2MPH) then drive 2.2 MPH slower!

You dont seem concerned that this "black box" is an invasion of privacy (or you would have made mention of that in your initial post) rather than the fact of it making you "guilty of an accident and raise your insurance premiums"

I think EDR's were developed not for people that drive 50 in the fast lane. I think they were developed for people trying to get out of accidents and blaming the other guy.
I guess initial post was not about hitting someone, but being hit while driving up to 5mph over the speed limit...
ANyways, what would you say in the following situation:
Let's say I have '98 Civic (probably without EDR) with some body damage on left side. I'm traveling in the middle lane doing 55mph waiting for some guy in GS passing me on the left. Well, let's say this time it is you going down the hill doing 59mph, and not paying attention to your speed (perhaps your wife is yelling at you) Here comes opportunity to get my car repaired. Not waisting anymore time I ram into your right side...
My story to the cap would be "...guy was closing in very fast... his black box can prove it officer..."
What do you think who's going to be a winner in this situation???? Crap like that happens in NY metro very often, so don't be shocked by this example.
Now... let me ask you the final question. Can EDR record behaviors of other drivers around you???? NO... so now tell me how can we allow such little electronic box to do the judgment for us?
EDRs would make sense, if the car was equipped with cameras all around just like reverse camera. I would support it without any questions...
At the end... it seems you are the 50mph in fast lane guy, so please do me a favor. Don't try to teach other drivers how fast they should go. There are a lot more people than slow goers that exceed speed limits, and you will never succeed. Don't forget... there are punks that will attempt to go around you with total disregard to other road users (I'm not one of them) That makes highways even more dangerous...
Cheers,
Old 05-20-08, 10:50 PM
trusso
Pole Position

I guess initial post was not about hitting someone, but being hit while driving up to 5mph over the speed limit...
ANyways, what would you say in the following situation:
Let's say I have '98 Civic (probably without EDR) with some body damage on left side. I'm traveling in the middle lane doing 55mph waiting for some guy in GS passing me on the left. Well, let's say this time it is you going down the hill doing 59mph, and not paying attention to your speed (perhaps your wife is yelling at you) Here comes opportunity to get my car repaired. Not waisting anymore time I ram into your right side...
My story to the cap would be "...guy was closing in very fast... his black box can prove it officer..."
What do you think who's going to be a winner in this situation???? Crap like that happens in NY metro very often, so don't be shocked by this example.
Now... let me ask you the final question. Can EDR record behaviors of other drivers around you???? NO... so now tell me how can we allow such little electronic box to do the judgment for us?
EDRs would make sense, if the car was equipped with cameras all around just like reverse camera. I would support it without any questions...
At the end... it seems you are the 50mph in fast lane guy, so please do me a favor. Don't try to teach other drivers how fast they should go. There are a lot more people than slow goers that exceed speed limits, and you will never succeed. Don't forget... there are punks that will attempt to go around you with total disregard to other road users (I'm not one of them) That makes highways even more dangerous...
Cheers,

How can we allow this little box to do the judgment? It doesn't provide the judgment, it provides the information.
Your story was that this guy was "closing in very fast" yet the black box shows that the GS (me) was 4 MPH over the limit? That would be the first thing.
I'm not sure if this black box records steering angles but I think it could show that there was no sudden "jerk" to the wheel that would cause a "ram" to the side of the vehicle rather than a sideswipe.
Hopefully if someone tries this with me, they have thought this out as well as you have.

Your guess on my driving habits is off as much as some of your spelling and please don't let me tell you how fast to drive, I really dont care.
You should unplug your data recorder, speedo and airbags, it makes your car faster!!!

Last edited by trusso; 05-20-08 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-21-08, 06:07 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

How can we allow this little box to do the judgment? It doesn't provide the judgment, it provides the information.
Your story was that this guy was "closing in very fast" yet the black box shows that the GS (me) was 4 MPH over the limit? That would be the first thing.
I'm not sure if this black box records steering angles but I think it could show that there was no sudden "jerk" to the wheel that would cause a "ram" to the side of the vehicle rather than a sideswipe.
Hopefully if someone tries this with me, they have thought this out as well as you have.

Your guess on my driving habits is off as much as some of your spelling and please don't let me tell you how fast to drive, I really dont care.
You should unplug your data recorder, speedo and airbags, it makes your car faster!!!
Just grab your manuals and see what kind of data is being recorded...
"...It doesn't provide the judgment, it provides the information" ...information that can be used by lawyers to make a judgment... wake up!
I'm glad I was wrong about your driving habits, but I don't recall telling you how fast you should drive. I know for sure I was right about one thing YOU DON'T CARE...
I see you're running out of arguments, and use my spelling to reject my opinion about EDR. Too bad english is my second language. If anyone here was insulted by it then my apologies...
Have a great day!
Old 05-21-08, 06:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Plus you need to take a look at your insurance policy too. Insurers obviously know these "black boxes" are in cars now a days. As such, the will have language in your binder regarding them. The language could [read: more than likely] include a clause excluding coverage if the black box is removed or tampered with.

Furthermore, w/ all the extensive electronics in vehicles these days, it would take (at least) one smart EE to rewire everything to even get the car to start let alone drive w/ the "black box(es)" removed
What if somehow someday the insurance can use the black box's data to denied your claim, maybe you were not wearing your seat belt, maybe you were going a bit fast or maybe you just didnt pay attention and did not hit the brakes.
My point is that if the insurance can benefit from the black box, they should give us a discount for having one in our car.
Old 05-21-08, 06:23 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by The G Man
What if somehow someday the insurance can use the black box's data to denied your claim, maybe you were not wearing your seat belt, maybe you were going a bit fast or maybe you just didnt pay attention and did not hit the brakes.
My point is that if the insurance can benefit from the black box, they should give us a discount for having one in our car.
I agree, this should work both ways... I'm afraid they will use this device to pick every single piece of data to dismiss your claim. I guess using the Privacy laws is the only way to fight it...
Old 05-21-08, 07:08 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

I actually did measure increase in speed... seriously
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit
i understand that but its not increasing your speed. your speedometer is reading faster than what your actually doing. your speedo is reading say 62mph and your only actually going 60mph.
Old 05-21-08, 07:13 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i understand that but its not increasing your speed. your speedometer is reading faster than what your actually doing. your speedo is reading say 62mph and your only actually going 60mph.
You're right, but EDR still records your speedometer instead of "real' speed... that works against us...
Old 05-21-08, 07:26 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

right and thats what i agreed with you on but i mean we're only talking 2 maybe 3mph tops it could be off unless your running a ridicious size tire. either way it could work againist you or save you.
Old 05-21-08, 08:36 AM
trusso
Pole Position

Just grab your manuals and see what kind of data is being recorded...
"...It doesn't provide the judgment, it provides the information" ...information that can be used by lawyers to make a judgment... wake up!
I'm glad I was wrong about your driving habits, but I don't recall telling you how fast you should drive. I know for sure I was right about one thing YOU DON'T CARE...
I see you're running out of arguments, and use my spelling to reject my opinion about EDR. Too bad english is my second language. If anyone here was insulted by it then my apologies...
Have a great day!
Uhh, the manual doesn't say what is being recorded, does yours?
I'm still not telling you how to drive, but I am saying if you are driving the speed limit then you don't have much to worry about. I'm not concerned with the 2.2 MPH over the limit. I am however concerned with the racer going 100 MPH on the freeway and killing people.
Also, I am not running out of arguments, I would say I answered your question (or scenario) with facts that prove my point.

Let me tell you a scenario now, this actually happened 3 weeks ago directly in front of my parents home.
Kid was driving down their street, my parents hears screeching and a crash. They walked outside to see the kid crawling out from his car, on it's roof !! The kid hit a truck and "tree mulcher" that was working on the neighbors home. Destroyed the "tree mulcher" and damaged the truck heavily. The guy that owns the truck and "tree mulcher" is a small business owner that later mentioned that if insurance didn't cover the bill, he would be out of business.
Kid said he was doing 27 MPH (speed limit is 25). I wonder if that black box would come in handy? How can a car flip over and skid to destroy property like that going 27 MPH? Now replace the "tree mulcher" with a child, does it become important now? Now replace the "tree mulcher with your child, does it become important now?
Where is your tolerance of "benefit" to you and what loss of yours would it take to move the weight of the idea of the system working against you?

Please use your rights to do what you like, it's a free country.
We can agree to disagree, nobody is right or wrong here, it's opinions!
Now, lets say something nice about each other...I like your cars...
Old 05-21-08, 08:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Trusso, a person can commit a crime with or without a car. What if that kid shot somebody, did we now put GPS system on everybody? The same argument holds true, if you dont commit any crime, then the personnal GPS system is not a problem or can even clear you of a crime.
Old 05-21-08, 10:13 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Uhh, the manual doesn't say what is being recorded, does yours?
I'm still not telling you how to drive, but I am saying if you are driving the speed limit then you don't have much to worry about. I'm not concerned with the 2.2 MPH over the limit. I am however concerned with the racer going 100 MPH on the freeway and killing people.
Also, I am not running out of arguments, I would say I answered your question (or scenario) with facts that prove my point.

Let me tell you a scenario now, this actually happened 3 weeks ago directly in front of my parents home.
Kid was driving down their street, my parents hears screeching and a crash. They walked outside to see the kid crawling out from his car, on it's roof !! The kid hit a truck and "tree mulcher" that was working on the neighbors home. Destroyed the "tree mulcher" and damaged the truck heavily. The guy that owns the truck and "tree mulcher" is a small business owner that later mentioned that if insurance didn't cover the bill, he would be out of business.
Kid said he was doing 27 MPH (speed limit is 25). I wonder if that black box would come in handy? How can a car flip over and skid to destroy property like that going 27 MPH? Now replace the "tree mulcher" with a child, does it become important now? Now replace the "tree mulcher with your child, does it become important now?
Where is your tolerance of "benefit" to you and what loss of yours would it take to move the weight of the idea of the system working against you?

Please use your rights to do what you like, it's a free country.
We can agree to disagree, nobody is right or wrong here, it's opinions!
Now, lets say something nice about each other...I like your cars...
Yes, it does list everything, and also situations when captured data gets released...
If it comes to driving within speed limits... yes, but only on local streets. Try driving 55mph on Interstate 80 where congested traffic filled with tractor trailers flows with the speed of 75+mph. You definitely don't want to drive 55mph, otherwise you will have to explain to your wife why kids that used to occupy your back sit are no longer with you...
I think The G Man said the rest...
Again, I don't want you to think that my opinion automatically makes me one of those maniacs. We all share roads, and no matter if we like it or not we need to respect each other. It may be though to do so in some cases, but we should think twice before doing anything stupid.

Cheers,

Is that corvette going on sale anytime soon?

Quick Reply: [B]Event Data Recorder (Black Box)[/B]