GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pump Noise While Braking at Low Speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 08:56 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pump Noise While Braking at Low Speeds

I've been doing my fair share of searching and can only find information on the 'ticking' noise caused by direct injection. This noise that I am experiencing is the sound of a 'pump' for about 1-2 seconds. It only happens when I am below 5mph and coming to a complete stop -- most notably when I first start my car and back out of the driveway, press the brakes, and change gear. It's coming from the engine bay and not sure if this was normal or not. Only can get it to reproduce a few minutes within starting the car.

I also hear the same noise when I turn off the car, close the door and wait a minute or two.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-20-08, 03:01 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Do you just start the car and take off or do you allow about 15-20 seconds of warm up and then go?
Old 05-20-08, 03:08 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

I allow at least 15-20 seconds for it to warm up.
Old 05-20-08, 03:09 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Just got back from a drive earlier and it seems to happen not after a complete stop, but during the braking at low speeds. I can feel it in the brake pedal a bit as well.
Old 05-20-08, 04:18 PM
ISFTwins
Driver

Sounds a little bit like a faulty ABS pump..??
Old 05-20-08, 04:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanlim
Just got back from a drive earlier and it seems to happen not after a complete stop, but during the braking at low speeds. I can feel it in the brake pedal a bit as well.
Sounds like a brake booster problem. Do you notice a decrease in stopping power?
Old 05-20-08, 05:00 PM
wassabie
Driver School Candidate

i have the same issue. It usually happens in the morning when I am driving out of the garage. I can't tell if it's coming out of the steering column or the brakes. The sound does sound like a pump and goes off for about 3 seconds. Because I am driving at a slow speed, I can't tell if there is any brake fade. I do warm up my car in the morning by waiting about a minute...then I have to drive slowly out of my neighborhood for ~2 miles at 20mph. I haven't had the time to take my car to the dealer, but if you guys find out what exactly it is, let me know. I'd be very interested in what this sound is and if there is a fix to it.
Old 05-20-08, 05:48 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wassabie
i have the same issue. It usually happens in the morning when I am driving out of the garage. I can't tell if it's coming out of the steering column or the brakes. The sound does sound like a pump and goes off for about 3 seconds. Because I am driving at a slow speed, I can't tell if there is any brake fade. I do warm up my car in the morning by waiting about a minute...then I have to drive slowly out of my neighborhood for ~2 miles at 20mph. I haven't had the time to take my car to the dealer, but if you guys find out what exactly it is, let me know. I'd be very interested in what this sound is and if there is a fix to it.
Yup! That's the exact same thing. I'm dropping off my car in tomorrow for the 15k service and to get a side view mirror replaced -- so I'll bring up this issue and see what happens.
Old 05-20-08, 05:48 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Sounds like a brake booster problem. Do you notice a decrease in stopping power?
Haven't noticed a decrease in stopping power.
Old 05-20-08, 06:17 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm did you take it to the dealer?
Old 05-20-08, 06:29 PM
ISFTwins
Driver

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
Hmm did you take it to the dealer?
Originally Posted by brendanlim
Yup! That's the exact same thing. I'm dropping off my car in tomorrow for the 15k service and to get a side view mirror replaced -- so I'll bring up this issue and see what happens.
He said he will be..
Old 05-20-08, 06:31 PM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

saw you mention you can only "reproduce (the sound) a few minutes within starting the car"
guess it's just a bunch of ABS circuits engaged/activated when the car starts to roll off where it was parked. it only happens once per start. is that it?
Old 05-20-08, 07:46 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by weilunc5
saw you mention you can only "reproduce (the sound) a few minutes within starting the car"
guess it's just a bunch of ABS circuits engaged/activated when the car starts to roll off where it was parked. it only happens once per start. is that it?
Happens more than once per start. Almost 90% of the time within a minute or two of the car turning off (Scared me the first time when I was cleaning the car after a drive) -- and within a few minutes of driving slow and stepping on the brake pedal.
Old 05-22-08, 12:04 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Dropped my car off yesterday for the 15k service, replacing left driver's side mirror, and to check out this issue. Nuum's been working on my car (I trust anything Nuum does -- he's VVT-i ) and apparently the sound is normal and everything's working just fine (According to the service manager).
Old 05-23-08, 09:36 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Well, apparently they didn't notice how frequent the pump noise was happening until today and they ended up ordering a new actuator for me. Problem is that it won't be another week or so until it arrives, so I'll have to take my car back later to get that fixed.

Quick Reply: Pump Noise While Braking at Low Speeds