GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Auto headlight sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 09:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Auto headlight sensitivity

I just had my dealer adjust the auto headlight sensitivity to max sensitivity. I am trying to get the headlight to go on as soon as I enter a garage and on cloudy and rainy days. I will let you guys know if this setting is good for that. BTW, my headlight came on at the dealer's valet bay.
Old 05-24-08, 04:29 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think it will go on as soon as you enter a parking garage -- there is a time delay that is independent of the sensitivity.
Old 05-24-08, 06:11 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The time delay is not adjustable but the sensitivity is, so if the sensitivity is higher, it will go on sooner.
Old 05-25-08, 03:10 AM
larrs
Driver

Agree, but not as soon as you enter a parking garage. I know, because mine is set at the highest sensitivity. There is still a delay.

Also, even on some rainy days it's still too bright out for the lights to come on automatically.
Old 05-25-08, 03:18 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there will be delay... otherwise.. .your head lights will flash on and off every time you pass under a freeway overpass.... some bad luck with that would be if a cop is in front... ahaha pulls you over thinking you tried to race him.
Old 05-25-08, 04:03 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

isn't it easier just to turn it on yourself

i hate auto headlights..
Old 05-25-08, 06:53 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Kev, I havent touch a headlight switch in 10 years

Larrs, you said that you have your adjusted at max sensivity like mine. Are you happy with the setting?
Old 05-25-08, 08:15 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so what is the outcome of the change? is it just them turning on sooner as it gets darker out or does it really change how quickly they turn out.

I think its better that they are not so sensitive. Its not good for them to turn on and off as you see many BMW's passing threw viaducts and many other things. It will burn the bulb and ballast out much quicker.
Old 05-26-08, 09:21 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default Leave headlights on; forget auto setting

Originally Posted by whlkev
isn't it easier just to turn it on yourself

i hate auto headlights..

We always leave the headlights on all of the time on all of our cars. After you turn the car off (after a delay), the car turns the headlights off automatically. Having the headlights on while you drive improves safety by a few percent, according to studies.
Old 05-26-08, 09:37 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steverhode
We always leave the headlights on all of the time on all of our cars. After you turn the car off (after a delay), the car turns the headlights off automatically. Having the headlights on while you drive improves safety by a few percent, according to studies.
That's why you have DRLs...

The sensitivity is, just what it sounds like. It would turn on the headlights when it's not as dark. The time it takes to turn on wouldn't change. The delay is still going to be there.
Old 05-26-08, 04:51 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yes the delay is still there, so it doesnt turn on while driving thru a under pass. The headlight turns on when it brighter now. Instead of turing on when its completely dark, it will turn on about half hour b 4 that. I wanted to turn on at dark rainy days. Still havent had a change to teat that out yet.
Old 05-26-08, 05:36 PM
larrs
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Larrs, you said that you have your adjusted at max sensivity like mine. Are you happy with the setting?
Yes and no. On clear or cloudy days, it's fine. On rainy days, I wish it were more sensitive. There are conditions when I think the lights should be on, but it's not dark enough to trigger them, so I turn them on manually.
Old 05-26-08, 07:52 PM
**FL Lex**
Driver

I leave my headlights and fogs on at all times, just think the car looks better that way....hate DRL's on the 3 g's
Old 05-27-08, 12:02 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by **FL Lex**
I leave my headlights and fogs on at all times, just think the car looks better that way....hate DRL's on the 3 g's
You can always turn off the DRL.

I wonder if you can just tap in a resistor in the light sensor on the dash and change the sensitivity yourself.
Old 05-27-08, 02:14 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
I just had my dealer adjust the auto headlight sensitivity to max sensitivity. I am trying to get the headlight to go on as soon as I enter a garage and on cloudy and rainy days. I will let you guys know if this setting is good for that. BTW, my headlight came on at the dealer's valet bay.
mine turned on as soon as I entered the garage, when set to auto.

Quick Reply: Auto headlight sensitivity