GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Joe Z Intake pipe & stock tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-08, 05:46 PM
VFORCE08
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Joe Z Intake pipe & stock tube

Hi:

I did a test on my 08 GS 350 comparing the stock air hose and Joe Z Pipe and for some reason I notice a bit more torque of the line with the stock hose than with Joe Z pipe this is after the engine is hot now this might be because Joe Z pipe get hotter to the touch than the stock hose meaning that the air going in is hot untill the car start moving and then cold air starts comes in to cool the Pipe. what do you guy's think...
Old 05-29-08, 10:55 PM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VFORCE08
Hi:

I did a test on my 08 GS 350 comparing the stock air hose and Joe Z Pipe and for some reason I notice a bit more torque of the line with the stock hose than with Joe Z pipe this is after the engine is hot now this might be because Joe Z pipe get hotter to the touch than the stock hose meaning that the air going in is hot untill the car start moving and then cold air starts comes in to cool the Pipe. what do you guy's think...
usually slower moving air, meaning longer intake runners, larger intake ports etc usually means more torque.

short intake runners, faster air, etc means more HP

well it's true for old tech cars like the 4age motors that I've tinkered with for many years and should be true for our cars too.
Old 05-30-08, 01:19 AM
VFORCE08
Driver

Originally Posted by Net Junky
usually slower moving air, meaning longer intake runners, larger intake ports etc usually means more torque.

short intake runners, faster air, etc means more HP

well it's true for old tech cars like the 4age motors that I've tinkered with for many years and should be true for our cars too.

Net Junky that is true about longer and shorter runners but i'm talking about the intake hose from the mass air to the throttle body and bought connected and the same length and by testing bougth by the seat in the pants the stock hose feels to make more torque from a take off than the Joe Z pipe at least to me..
Old 05-30-08, 08:02 AM
Net Junky
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VFORCE08
Net Junky that is true about longer and shorter runners but i'm talking about the intake hose from the mass air to the throttle body and bought connected and the same length and by testing bougth by the seat in the pants the stock hose feels to make more torque from a take off than the Joe Z pipe at least to me..
Back to my post. The volocity of the air causes the torque/hp. With the stock intake pipe it has ribs, and is made of rubber which means friction surface inside. The JoeZ pipe is smooth inside and polished even allowing more flow at higher speeds. So if you think of it another way by going with a smaller piping and tappering it on both ends but super smooth finish inside you might be able to get more torque because of the volocity the air will flow at lower speeds as well as gains up high with a sacrific of top end HP.
Old 05-30-08, 12:19 PM
VFORCE08
Driver

Originally Posted by Net Junky
Back to my post. The volocity of the air causes the torque/hp. With the stock intake pipe it has ribs, and is made of rubber which means friction surface inside. The JoeZ pipe is smooth inside and polished even allowing more flow at higher speeds. So if you think of it another way by going with a smaller piping and tappering it on both ends but super smooth finish inside you might be able to get more torque because of the volocity the air will flow at lower speeds as well as gains up high with a sacrific of top end HP.

That makes cense Net Junky, I think that I will use the stock hose because I perfer torque for the street than to get 4 to 6 extra HP at top....thanks